Hey guys, new member here. Hopefully I will turn into a long term one.

A close family member passed away at a very young age. I am 22 myself. He always tried to get me to learn the guitar and as much as I always wanted to, I never made the time for it. But honestly my reason was I didn't think I could. I thought I was too "old" to try to learn how to play. I love country music, and that's really what I want to play.

How old were you when you started playing?

I've played a few chords here and there but not near enough to say I know a song. What do bigger guys use? I feel like I have large fingers that sometimes hinder my ability.

My biggest question is can an "old" dog learn new tricks? I just know A-LOT of people that play real well have been playing since early teen hood.

Edit*

I cannot read music at all. I can play piano but I learn everything from tutorials etc.
Last edited by StrokedNotch at Feb 11, 2012,
Well, being a child prodigy is pretty much off the table, and as people age, their learning curve does slow down a bit.

That notwithstanding, as someone in his sixties, listening to a 22 year old basically pronouncing himself, "over the hill", is disconcerting to say the least.

Notice how cleverly I worked the pun on, "concert", into that statement?

Although your "Beiber Door" has definitely closed, I'm sure you should be able to open another.

I'd say if you put your mind to it, you have decades left to learn to play a gosh durn fair to middlin' geetar....
Read the book 'guitar zero' its about learning guitar later in life and the trials and tribulations associated. It's really inspiring.
there are lots of guys in their 40's and 50's at agf who are just learning guitar now, and they're having a blast.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I was 5 when I started playing and 17 now, but it really doesn't matter at all.
22? dude, that's like saying it's too late to learn how to ride a bike at the age of 12
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Get a grip. I started at about 26... That was back in 1976. You can do the math....

They just had a guy on NPR's Science Friday yesterday. He was much older than you, in his 50s. Always wanted to play, but had no sense of rhythm. Many aborted attempts. Being a scientist, he decided to study the matter in depth and ended up interviewing many people who started playing later in life.
Some even older than me...
Interviewed some well-known musicians as well; Pat Metheny for one.

In short, there is no reason that age should be any restriction whatever. Young people can often learn faster, simply because they often have more time to practice. However, older folks can often practice "smarter" and can make excellent progress.
Quote by Bikewer
Get a grip. I started at about 26... That was back in 1976. You can do the math....

They just had a guy on NPR's Science Friday yesterday. He was much older than you, in his 50s. Always wanted to play, but had no sense of rhythm. Many aborted attempts. Being a scientist, he decided to study the matter in depth and ended up interviewing many people who started playing later in life.
Some even older than me...
Interviewed some well-known musicians as well; Pat Metheny for one.

In short, there is no reason that age should be any restriction whatever. Young people can often learn faster, simply because they often have more time to practice. However, older folks can often practice "smarter" and can make excellent progress.

That science dude was the guy who wrote 'guitar zero' the book I talked about in my earlier post! He's a psychologist I think! BTW I started about 7 months ago and I am 26, I'm not great but having fun!
22 years is not so bad, i started when i was 17, im learning to play for just over a year now, but age really doesnt matter, i have a friend who started to play guitar 3 months ago and he's much better than me. I guess its all about your determination and amount of time you spend with guitar... and for reading the music - i think you should learn to read guitar tabs, they're not so hard but VERY usefull.
Dude... I started playing when I was 6. I'm 47 now and I'm still learning and should be much better after all this time. So age is not a factor. It's your desire to learn and want to play is the key. Now, get started.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
I started when I was 21, almost 24 now and I am doing pretty well I think. I'm already recording my own material and learning piano in tandem. I played bass guitar from the age of around 13, but didn't take it very seriously, just learning tabs and such. My practice over the last 3 years has been much more conducive, and I have learnt more in 3 years than I did in 8.

I don't understand why so many people think they are "too old" to play. In 5 years, if you're not playing now, you will think "I wish I had started when I was 22". In 10, you'll be thinking you wished you started at 25, whatever. You have the choice between never, ever learning to play an instrument, or starting now and making a go of it. The pleasure of being able to make music should be enough of a reward, because if the only reason you pick up a guitar is to be Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen, you are almost certainly going to be disappointed.
yep
Age has nothing to do with it. I started 2 years ago at the tender age of 48 and I am now playing in front of a congregation every other week. Granted, I still have a lot to learn but I'm having a blast and people tell me it sounds really good. So, go for it.
Absolutely man I no how ya feel I got told off a friend at 20 year old I couldn't learn to play as I had 'passed it'. So I bought one and didn't play fors two years. I have been learning now for about 4 month at the age of 22 and I can play around 15 chords fluently and around 5 songs which I never though I would. I didn't know how to strum the thing for 12month. So get playing man and ignore anyone who tells ya you can't learn when your past your teens and the main thing enjoy yourself! Good luck man
I learned at 11 and i'm 14, but that doesn't mean you can't start! I learned how to ride a bike at age 13.
I started to learn a little over a year ago and am 14, I am starting on sweep arpeggios and I'm past the whole "learn better when your real young"stage I think that stops at like 8-10 age is no factor. and for your big fingers, try finding a guitar with jumbo frets.
Good lord, play don't play, it doesn't matter to anybody but you. If you need this much "notch stroking" to get into it, you might as well not bother.
Captaincranky certainly is cranky.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
i started not even a year ago, and i'm 18 (1 year anniversary this april!). It was extremely fun and rewarding to learn the guitar, now that i think back. It's still a blast remembering when i had trouble holding a D chord during my first week while complaining how hard guitar is to my friends who played guitar for years. What i'm trying to get at is that it was one of the best choices of my life to start learning., and you'll be surprised how fast you grasp concepts and start jamming to your favourite songs if you practice enough (all you really need is C, A minor, D and G chords to play countless songs as a beginner anyways =p). whether you learn fast or slow, doesn't matter, as long as you have fun doing it.
yes. an old dog can learn new tricks, you just got to stick at it even if your fingers get sore. play until they bleed, then put bandaids on and keep playing!
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
I echo all of the other posts except the bitchy one. I quit when I was about 22. Kept that guitar around my house for about 10-11 years. Then, picked it back up. 2 years later and I have bought a new acoustic and an electric because I enjoy it so much. The biggest factor for learning and being "good" at guitar is how long you play. I wish I could have 10 years of experience under my belt now. You have to give it a good effort. Set a goal of 1 solid year, and don't take off more than a day of practice. DOn't worry about sounding perfect all the time and have fun. It is supposed to be fun
Dude your good, just play, practice, have fun, and make sure you have something motivating you !
I started playing when I was 14 and I thought that was too old, I'm 18 now and i swear I am so happy that I never gave up !
IM GONNA ***CHANGE*** THE WORLD
I was 50 when I learnt.....from these very pages,,,that was almost 6 years ago. I can kick it ..
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!