How hard is it to change a power transformer on an amp?

I've been looking at importing a guitar amp from the US off Ebay, but hurdle #1 is that US domestic voltage is 110V - in Australia it's 240V.... rather than buying a VAC adaptor, i'd rather change the power transformer in the amp itself.

Specifically i'm looking at buying a Victoria 5112 amp (a 50s Fender Champ clone)... it's a brand that is virtually non-existant in Australia, so importing seems the best option. We do have an Aussie distributor for the brand, but the guy is charging an extra $1500 on the US list price ($2700 vs $1200 ).

Seeing i'm not hopeless with a soldering iron or schematic (and assuming I can find the right transformer), i'm wondering if this can be done DIY?... or if it should be avoided
I have a Traynor YCV50 which is 110v but I use it in the UK. I thought about changing the transformer but after researching I read an article about it somewhere where the author (I think was Pete Cornish) said that changing the transformer can affect the overal tone of the amp, so I just used a 300A external transformer. It's a pain in the ass though so if it doesn't have much affect I would defiently consider it.
If you are ordering from the manufacturer, shoot them an email and see if they can put the right transformer into it for you. That way you arent voiding their lifetime warranty and if it blows up you are covered.

It may be the case that the PT they use has a 230/240v tap and they just solder that to the socket instead of the 110v.
check out http://jamguitars.co.uk/ these guys sell it in the UK (also 240V/50Hz) and they may be able to ship one out to you
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
OK, 1 more question - should I go for the Eminence or Jensen speaker option? I can get my hands on either.
Quote by ravenhaller
OK, 1 more question - should I go for the Eminence or Jensen speaker option? I can get my hands on either.

might wanna try being a little more specific.
mojostompboxes.com
I've observed two speaker options in the 5112 - the Jensen P12Q, or the Eminence Legend. Current factory issue seems to be the Eminence speaker, but I'm finding a few older Victoria 5112's listed on Ebay/Craigslist (etc.) that have the Jensen installed (and selling for under $800 which is a bargain in my books).

I'm not sure if one speaker is more favoured or mojo-rific than the other, so just askin' .
Last edited by ravenhaller at Feb 11, 2012,
difference is probably so-so to most peoples ears, and it's more up to personal preference... I'm in love with eminence speakers so I would go for that, but if it's cheaper to get a Jensen... damn good speakers too-
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by sic6505+

It may be the case that the PT they use has a 230/240v tap and they just solder that to the socket instead of the 110v.

i was going to say that. In addition to the 110-120V tap most PT's have a 220-240V tap on the primary side and they are just covered with some heat shrink. It would be nice if you could confirm that with the vendor before buying it. I have taken apart many amps and all of the ones i remember have a 220V tap floating around in there.
That way you arent voiding their lifetime warranty and if it blows up you are covered. (Invalid img)