Hey I thinking of buying a new fuzz/distortion pedal,
Im stuck between the boss ds-1 and the big muff, I already have a digital effects unit (Boss Me 50). My main hesitation is that the boss me 50 has a ds-1 built in.
Would the analog version sound better than the digital version?
Thanks
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
Which one is better?
Thanks

You can't compare apples to oranges, silly!
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by gilly_90
Which one is better?
Thanks

Well, apples are sweet and crunchy, oranges are juicy but can be bitter. I recommend apples.

How about describing each pedal and giving the pros and cons of each, instead of just making sarcastic comments?
Used to have a DS-1, but sold it after a while. Still got my Big Muff, I'd say its very hit or miss. You either love this thing or you hate it. I personally love it, but it comes down to what styles of music you play.
I play mostly alternate rock, Industrial Rock, eg. Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Nine Inch Nails and Ministry,
I have a Fender FM212r
The only time a DS-1 is acceptable is in front of a good tube amp which you don't have. A Big Muff will sound ok in front of any half decent clean amp which you have.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Buy a Proco Rat instead
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by rickyj
Well, apples are sweet and crunchy, oranges are juicy but can be bitter. I recommend apples.

How about describing each pedal and giving the pros and cons of each, instead of just making sarcastic comments?

What he means is that they're two completely different pedals, so what he has to do is decide what kinds of sounds he wants. Describing the pros and cons doesn't really help him, because if we recommend a Big Muff but he wants DS-1 sounds he's not gonna be happy.

It's not like he's deciding between two very similar pedals and that the differences are only quality or something like that. gilly's comment wasn't as stupid as you made it look.
Both. You can usually find a used DS-1 for about 20 bucks at a store.

I like both of the pedals. The Big Muff is incredible. DS-1 is good, especially for what you're going for.
Quote by Poisonouspot
I play mostly alternate rock, Industrial Rock, eg. Nirvana, Sonic Youth, Nine Inch Nails and Ministry,
I have a Fender FM212r

obv a Big Muff judging from these bands, however a new amp will improve your sound significantly more.
For Sonic Youth and NIN, the Big Muff is perfect. The DS-1 will obviously put in Nirvana territory, but you don't have a good enough amp to catch that sound. Ministry probably just used amp distortion.

I would recommend a new amp, but Big Muffs are cheap enough and much better than the DS-1.
I own both. The DS-1 is a pretty cheap (both in price and quality) pedal, but it's exactly what Kurt Cobain used for Nevermind, so I pretty much exclusively use it for Nirvana.

The Big Muff is AWESOME. Beast of a pedal. Really thick, powerful, processed fuzz, with tons of sustain. My favorite fuzzbox by far. Mudhoney uses that pedal a ton - listen to them if you want some idea of what tone you'd get.
Quote by NickZimmer
I own both. The DS-1 is a pretty cheap (both in price and quality) pedal, but it's exactly what Kurt Cobain used for Nevermind, so I pretty much exclusively use it for Nirvana.

The Big Muff is AWESOME. Beast of a pedal. Really thick, powerful, processed fuzz, with tons of sustain. My favorite fuzzbox by far. Mudhoney uses that pedal a ton - listen to them if you want some idea of what tone you'd get.

Well, it's not exactly what Kurt used. He used the older version of the DS-1. I'm not sure if it was "Long dash" or not, but it's a little better than the current model. Very similar sound though.

Also, Mudhoney used the Op amp version of the Big Muff. Modern ones sound very similar, but not quite the same as well.
i'd say your best option for getting what you want is to go to a guitar store and try out a few pedals. bring your own amp and guitar if possible. it is about the only way to avoid buyer's remorse. there are plenty of good guitarists and tone geeks on UG, but only you know what you'd like.

if you go to a guitar store, try out some of the other pedals mentioned above, a tubescreamer and a rat proco would be good to try too.

also, can't you pick up a used digitech bad monkey for super cheap? they have a DS-1, big muff and tubescreamer circuit on that pedal, and it allows you to blend the tones too. i'd get one of those over a big muff or ds-1.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Feb 12, 2012,

Those run $120 or more dude, out of his budget.

The DS-1 sounds bad analog, and I can't even comprehend it digital. Takes about $30 in mods to make it a decent pedal.

He never gave a budget...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com