I have noticed alot of players on this forum talking about how john is too pop to be a real bluesman, or how he doesn't really feel the music, or that he's not that great of a guitarist, etc.

I absolutely disagree, john is one of the best "new kid" blues players out there. If you don't believe me, here are some vids to back me up.

John mayer shredding in LA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynq7pAEwp6Y

John Mayer, zz top, and slash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNuAdB5oVrU

John mayer @ eric clapton's crossroads 2010, covering "aint no sunshine"
http://youtu.be/jkUIMBLXHCY

Spoiler: first video is a joke
He's shagged Jennifer Aniston.

I dont care what his music is like.

He is good in my books.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I loved John Mayers work in the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Stadium Arcadium was a fantastic album.
Quote by BanjoFantastico
I have noticed alot of players on this forum talking about how john is too pop to be a real bluesman, or how he doesn't really feel the music, or that he's not that great of a guitarist, etc.

I absolutely disagree, john is one of the best "new kid" blues players out there. If you don't believe me, here are some vids to back me up.

John mayer shredding in LA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynq7pAEwp6Y

John Mayer, zz top, and slash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNuAdB5oVrU

John mayer @ eric clapton's crossroads 2010, covering "aint no sunshine"
http://youtu.be/jkUIMBLXHCY

Spoiler: first video is a joke

I don't think you can doubt he's a good blues player. But one of the "best" new kids. Eh, he's a blues guitarist who studied at Berklee. His skills seems to be right where they should be.

Kenny Wayne Shepard
Doyle Bramhall
Derrick Tucks
Joe Bonamassa
...Joe Bonamassa

He enjoys writing pretty lame sounding pop tunes, whatever floats his boat. His blues trio, and blues stuff in general is awesome. It's just tedious when so many people know about John Mayer but will have no idea who Stevie Ray Vaughn is.
Quote by devourke
I loved John Mayers work in the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Stadium Arcadium was a fantastic album.

Why is the blue in your sig 3D?
Oh and why is this in the pit? People are gonna hate and like whatever they want, dont even bother..
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
I don't think you can doubt he's a good blues player. But one of the "best" new kids. Hardly.

Kenny Wayne Shepard
Doyle Bramhall
Derrick Tucks
Joe Bonamassa
...Joe Bonamassa

He enjoys writing pretty lame sounding pop tunes, whatever floats his boat. His blues trio, and blues stuff in general is awesome. It's just tedious when so many people know about John Mayer but will have no idea who Stevie Ray Vaughn is.

It depends how we're classifying skill. Honestly I think people really underestimate his playing ability. It is no doubt that joe bonamassa is a great guitarist, but I don't think he's on this
"other level" like people would suggest. The fact that John Mayer makes pop records has no relevance as far as his blues interests/abilities are concerned.

However, I would say that neither Joe, nor John have the unique personality that someone like page, or clapton, srv, or any of thoes guys had. But they're only in their early 30s, time will tell.
ohlookit'sthisthreadagain.jpg
Quote by Kozlic
Music doesnt need to be quality to be good.

Press eject, give me the tape, if you know what's good for you
Quote by BanjoFantastico
It depends how we're classifying skill. Honestly I think people really underestimate his playing ability. It is no doubt that joe bonamassa is a great guitarist, but I don't think he's on this
"other level" like people would suggest. The fact that John Mayer makes pop records has no relevance as far as his blues interests/abilities are concerned.

However, I would say that neither Joe, nor John have the unique personality that someone like page, or clapton, srv, or any of thoes guys had. But they're only in their early 30s, time will tell.

People who have only heard his pop stuff underestimate him for sure, but most guitarist I know have heard all his blues stuff. JB runs circles over Mayer, and I do think he is on that "level" that not many reach. I'm not gonna knock Mayer for writing pop records, he will write what makes him happy, I'm not gonna ask a stupid question as to "why doesn't he just play blues?" John Mayer is a glorified SRV rip'off. JB ( while he does remind me of Eric Johnson ) seems to have a bit more originality is his phrasing and playing. Very few people will ever reach that unique plateau that Page/Clapton/SRV have, and to be honest, the last person that has ( in my opinion ) has been Slash. But every will call him over-rated and over-commercialized 24/7.
You've got it wrong TS. It's not that everyone doubts his ability but the majority of us prefer his pop stuff which has made a bigger impact undeniably. He may try to break out of that but he will always be known for, "No Such Thing" and "Your body is a wonderland". I, for one, would rather listen to him play his pop music as I really don't like his blues thing.

What does make me laugh, however, was after his CMT Crossroads thing with Brad Paisley, everyone thought Mayer was the better guitarist.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Feb 11, 2012,
Quote by devourke
Nigga u high

I swear your sig is in 3D, i want to know how you did that. Thats really cool.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I swear your sig is in 3D, i want to know how you did that. Thats really cool.

Times New Roman, Size 7, Red, Blue, Green.
he's a beautiful guitarist, man

just beautiful

it's like

continuum

is just like heaven

in music form

and heaven doesn't really exist

so john mayer

has literally put heaven on earth

guys

love that dude
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I like his music, quite a lot actually. He's also funny and has had multiple smoking hot girlfriends.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2

+1, I have like 3 trio-era bootlegs and that stuf is just awesome

I don't really like his voice, it sounds really throaty and monotonous: when I first heard a song of his on the radio I went "wow, I like the guitarist but the singer sounds like he's f*cking bored" -> if that's just the way his voice comes out naturally I guess he can't really help it, but if he was going for "soulful / cool" he doesn't come across as really authentic to me, even a bit forced... Also, it seems like he enjoys the sound of this voice of his just a little too much: I know a guy who's a massive fan and even he finds the "in between songs banther" quite dull. And there was this period when he'd post like 10 clips on youtube a week and not once did I find 'em entertaining

Lol, at this point I've actually started to wonder whether I secretly hate the guy as well at this point

The idea of having all those screaming fangirls (I know that's only a part of his audience, but they sure are noisy as f*ck) coming to the show because they think he's hot and whatnot and then being presented with 9-minute bluesjams is just pure genius

But when those bland pop tunes start making up more than half of his setlist I'm not really interested anymore. Yeah, he's a great player but so are Allan Holdsworth, Larry Carlton, John Petrucci, Robben Ford, Guthrie Govan and like a zillion other guys out there so it's not as if the task of rescuing (guitar) music lies solely in this dude's hands. But I don't doubt his more mainstream appeal has caused thousands of kids to pick up the guitar or bass or whatever and start playing music, which is great

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote by shwilly
The idea of having all those screaming fangirls (I know that's only a part of his audience, but they sure are noisy as f*ck) coming to the show because they think he's hot and whatnot and then being presented with 9-minute bluesjams is just pure genius

+1

1/3 of the LA tour was poppin blues
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17