My band has been writing alot and we've got 4 songs (+ a 2 min intro) but it only comes up to about 19 mins with tuning time included. We've been debating about if it's better to work on 2 more originals or 1 more original and a cover to round out at about 25 mins just to be safe. In you guy's experiance, which is better?
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Write as many originals as you can, but a good cover never hurt. When doing covers, though, choose something well-known, yet unexpected. I recently saw a local deathcore group cover Kickstart My Heart, and totally brought the house down. It really kicked @$$.
2 more originals and a cover. 30mins to be safe cuz live you always end up plaing faster than you practice. also you have a song for an encore just in case. how would it feel to be called for an encore and not have anything else to play?
Quote by BledGhostWhite
Write as many originals as you can, but a good cover never hurt. When doing covers, though, choose something well-known, yet unexpected. I recently saw a local deathcore group cover Kickstart My Heart, and totally brought the house down. It really kicked @$$.

Thats pretty funny, but seeing as how it was effective, It sounds like a good idea!!

Quote by dmbb1239
2 more originals and a cover. 30mins to be safe cuz live you always end up plaing faster than you practice. also you have a song for an encore just in case. how would it feel to be called for an encore and not have anything else to play?

Good point. I never thought about an encore. I personally doubt we'd be called for
one, but who knows!!
:
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Quote by sonny bb
about 25 mins just to be safe

That's not safe. 45 mins, that's safer. You want to aim for about an hours worth of original music ideally.

Forget the covers, you're an originals band, write some more originals.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I guess I'm not up on the new way to play a gig... LOL

Our band plays bars or Private parties for a minimum of $150 per hour, (unless it's a new venue, then we may cut a break to get asked back) and it's a minimum of 4 Sets... 45 min's each set with a 15 min break.. for us that equals between 10 and 14 songs depending on time spent interacting with the crowd... (Tuning is done on your own time)

Lots of covers.. a few originals... BUT I can kind of see it... we play to entertain more of a dance/party crowd... Our dreams of making it big died years and years ago...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
^^^ you're in a cover band dude, different rules for an originals band.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
That's not safe. 45 mins, that's safer. You want to aim for about an hours worth of original music ideally.

Forget the covers, you're an originals band, write some more originals.

When we book the first gigs, we'll have about 20-30 mins, that's why I said 25 mins at first. But after hearing some opinions, having more prepared just in case sounds like the best route. Thanks!
:
<(0_0<(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0< HA!!!
<(*~*)>
Make enough songs for about 1 hour or so, then take out the cream of the crop (not saying for you to make bad songs, just pick the best ones) for the shorter setlists.
Quote by BledGhostWhite

Oh my gosh that sounds freaking sweet.

Yeah write as much as you can. My first gig we had 5 originals and 3 covers, ended up taking about 35 or so minutes because we plowed through the songs. This time we're still playing 7, but since we haven't finished our big new originals yet we're doing the same songs, took out one cover, and added a guitar only interlude into our last song.

It's good to have 30-45 minutes for your first few gigs, keep writing more, and then have longer shows. Some places may only let you play for an hour, but that's a hefty amount of time as it is.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day