Page 1 of 6

Sup guys. I know I can't be the only one around here who's interested in chess , and thinks it'd be nice to play a couple of games with pitmonkeys. I know there has been one before, but I figured let's just start an entirely new competition. Here's what's gonna happen.
I want to play but I cannot play chess - yet

The amateur comp has started, entries are still welcome though!

Signing up
If you want to join, please post "/join" ITT (actually write that, makes it easier for me to Ctrl+F all submissions). Then, you need to make an account on chess.com . This is entirely free and will only take two minutes. Once you've created your account post in this thread again stating what the name of your account is, and whether you are serious or an amateur. You dont need to be a pro to sign up for serious, but if just ask yourself whether you want to play serious games or whether youre participating just for the lolz. Then you will be added to the player list. If you're participating, I also suggest you sticky this thread.

Participation will take time. If you do not have an hour per week to participate, don't join

Battling
When there are enough participants, I will draw up who gets to play who by RNG. It is a knock-out tournament. You and your opponent have to contact each other to pick a right time. Then you become friends on chess.com, and battle via Live Chess.

Each chess match consists of three rounds:

Round 1 - Standard 15|10 (this means that you have 15 minutes total, and 10 seconds will be added after each move)
Round 2 - Blitz 5|2 (same, but 5 minutes and 2 sec per move)
Round 3 - Standard 15|10

Obviously, by winning 2 out of 3 rounds, you win. 3 Rounds should take about an hour. A win counts as one point, a draw as 1/2, and a loss as 0. If the score is tied after 3 rounds, you will play a 2|1 blitz game (2 min total, 1 sec extra per move). Be warned; you need to play fast or else you'll lose on time. You will repeat playing 2|1 games until either one of you wins.

Time limit takes getting used to. If you've never played online before, at least try a couple of games. Log in to chess.com, and click play>live chess.

How to play (fairly straightforward, but if youre lost this might help)
1 - Go to chess.com and make sure you're signed in.
2 - Ensure you've befriended your opponent: Go Members (in the top bar) >> search members and send a friend request.
3 - when both you and your opponent are online, go to live chess. (Play (top bar) >> live chess)
4 - When on live chess, challenge your opponent and pick the right type of match. In the down right corner, click the tab "friends". Then you have to click their name and challenge them.
5 - Play your three games (dont forget that the first game has to be 15|10, the second 5|2 and the third 15|10 again).
6 - When done, click "live chess" on the home page again. Below "PLAY LIVE CHESS NOW" is a list of your previous games. Select the three games youve just played by clicking the box on the right of them. Then go to the downright corner and click "download PGN" and PM them to me / post them in the thread, stating CLEARLY who was white in each game.

Rules:
  • When you challenge eachother on chess.com, make sure that "you play as..." is set to random. This means that every player has a 50 % chance of playing as white.
  • When the matches are done, you have to PM me the moves. At chess.com, you can download the moves in PGN after each match. see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_notation
  • I advise you all to pick a time when you and your opponent can do all three matches in a row. Together, they shouldn't take much more than one hour.
  • Play fair and square. Don't use a chess engine/your asian nephew to pick your moves. If I find out you cheat, you will be disqualified.
  • If you and your opponent fail to battle within a certain timespan (say, a week) you will both be disqualified. If you do not respond to your opponent's PMs, and thereby dont battle, you will lose the match. If you notice that your opponent is inactive, contact me before the week lapses. That way, I can check whether said person is actually inactive.

SERIOUS COMP:
(Invalid img)

The serious comp has started! Please try to contact your opponent and play your matches!

The serious comp is full. You can still sign up as replacement.

Player list serious competition:

UG name / chess.com name
1.vagelier / vagelier
2. Novacane.../Andy_18 repalce by edgeyyz / ???????
3. CoreysMonster / RyanAndrew replaced by MusicMan24 / ???????
4. Oddsbodkins/Oddsbodkins
5. the bartender / the_bartender
6. Whiskeyface / Whiskeyface
7. chaos13 / chaosthirteen
8. wigzwamz / Zer0Zer0 replaced by Comfy Dumb
9. MAC2322 / Mac2322
10. Blackholesun00 / Blackholesun00
11. Gmp / nicksmash
12. benn913 / ben913
13. AeroRocker / AeroRocker84
14. GoxGetterxGuy / Goxxy21
15. Shr3dz0r / shr3dz0r
16. Killer Bob 912 / KillerBob912
Replacements:

AMATEUR COMP:

The amateur comp has started! Please try to contact your opponent and play your matches!

The amateur comp is full. You can still sign up as replacement.

Player list amateur competition:
1. That Old Geezer / That_Old_Geezer
2. whoomit / whoomit
3. entity0009 / entity0009
4. ali.guitarkid7 / aliguitarkid7
5. afatguitarist / afatguitarist
6. Whalepudding / Cumpkin
7. Incognito / UGsPawn
8. Owenlee55 / Lee96
9. ultrasonic / SirAfroFro
10. Jani92jani/Jani92jani
11. xX.SirenSong.Xx / ljg35
12. shmeegle / shmeegs
13. Tanglewoodguit / ???????
14. BeastModeEngage / ???????
15. bad news bear / therocketpocket

Go!
Last edited by vagelier at Mar 1, 2012,
Quote by Novacane...
I'm in!

Novacane.../Andy_18.

is Andy_18. with period?
Chess tournament has been attempted once before though......and never got finished.
^ I'm terrible.

/join - whoomit/whoomit
Last edited by whoomit at Feb 11, 2012,
Quote by Novacane...
Chess tournament has been attempted once before though......and never got finished.

this.

EDIT: But what the hell, I'm in anyways
I'm definitely getting in on this brb making an account.

Edit: That_Old_Geezer sign me up
Last edited by That Old Geezer at Feb 11, 2012,
There should be a special competition for shit people like me, who would be liable to get confused after 5 minutes and start moving the knight back and forth. Where you get a whole day to make each move. I'd take part in that.
I tried a game at expert level against the computer, lasted 12 turns
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by entity0009
I tried a game at expert level against the computer, lasted 12 turns

I played a real-time match against some bloke over the internet, after at least 8 years of not playing. I'd forgotten you had to come up with some sort of strategy. I moved the two middle pawns forward two spaces, and wasn't sure what to do after that, so just moved the knights around randomly like I just described before leaving abruptly.
Quote by whalepudding
There should be a special competition for shit people like me, who would be liable to get confused after 5 minutes and start moving the knight back and forth. Where you get a whole day to make each move. I'd take part in that.

there might be, depending on how many people join. but I'd be more than happy if we got 16 people altogether, so dont get your hopes up.
It wasn't finished because I was banned and couldn't manage the tournament from the FoTB
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
For a minute there I was convinced the knights in that picture were Aliens. As in the H R Giger sort.
Last edited by whalepudding at Feb 12, 2012,
Chess.com has the option of playing turn-based chess, which could be 1-7 days per move. I'm guess TS wants the games to be played quite rapidly though and that's why he's chosen 3 live chess formats.
I agree it will be difficult, we may not even get enough people. It doesn't look very popular right now.

I'm not bothered about the time constraints. Up to the TS, who's disappeared anyway.
Quote by Novacane...
I agree it will be difficult, we may not even get enough people. It doesn't look very popular right now.

I'm not bothered about the time constraints. Up to the TS, who's disappeared anyway.

what up.

yes we play live chess. it shouldnt be too hard to figure out a time to play, if its truly impossible well see about that. I wanted to avoid playing 1-2 days per move chess because those games get abandoned all the time.
I'm horrible at chess, but I'm in.

/join

EDIT: Done with making account, it's the same as my UG name but without the dot.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Feb 11, 2012,
I'm down. Zer0Zer0

Think I'm a fairly good player, myself. Played in tournaments and such when I was younger and won a fair few regional rounds.
Quote by Vauxite
Lots of lulz were produced, thankyou good sir
I'm down like chess playing clown.

/join
I don't like to drink too much. I just hang out with people that do.
/bump. If we get 16 pros and 16 newbs, there can be two seperate competitions. Please check whether I wrote you down as shitty or serious, and see if you agree.
alternatively, if we only get like 16 people, there will be a winners comp and a losers comp based on how you fare in the first round.
Last edited by vagelier at Feb 12, 2012,
The more, the merrier people. Don't forget to say whether youd like to participate in the serious or the shit comp
I would be down, but chess is just so stressful for me. Im really good, but it takes up so much brain power lol but il keep this thread in mind, il prolly play one of these days, or even lurk if im allowed