So I remember watching a documentary about Monty Python, and they showed how one of the Python members, who was medically trained, insisted on supervising his own heart surgery or something. I can't find the clip anymore or any reference to it, and am starting to think it was just a fake

Can anyone confirm or debunk that?
How can someone supervise his own heart surgery?

Think about it.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Never heard of that story, but if true (and they were probably joking), I'd guess it was Graham Chapman, who was a qualified doctor.
Never heard of this, but there was a guy mentioned on QI who was the first person to perform open heart surgery or something, and won the Nobel prize buy inserting a tube in an artery in his arm (I think) and pushing it through to the heart before taking an x-ray of himself with the tube in to prove he'd managed to do it.

Edit: was this guy.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Feb 11, 2012,
Sounds like a joke to me. Monty Python aren't exactly famous for taking things seriously...
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
any chance it was on House, M.D.? xD
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Never heard of this, but there was a guy mentioned on QI who was the first person to perform open heart surgery or something, and won the Nobel prize buy inserting a tube in an artery in his arm (I think) and pushing it through to the heart before taking an x-ray of himself with the tube in to prove he'd managed to do it.

Edit: was this guy.

****ing hell, what a badass

Forßmann was born in Berlin on August 29, 1904. Upon graduating from Askanische Gymnasium, he entered the University of Berlin to study medicine, passing the State Examination in 1929.[1]

He hypothesized that a catheter could be inserted directly into the heart, for such applications as directly delivering drugs, injecting radiopaque dyes, or measuring blood pressure. The fear at the time was that such an intrusion into the heart would be fatal.[2] To prove his point, he decided to try the experiment on himself.

In 1929, while working in Eberswalde, he performed the first human cardiac catheterisation. He ignored his department chief and persuaded the OR nurse in charge of the sterile supplies, Gerda Ditzen, to assist him. She agreed, but only on the promise that he would do it on her rather than on himself. However Forssmann tricked her by restraining her to the operating table and pretending to locally anaesthetise and cut her arm whilst actually doing it on himself.[3] He anesthetized his own lower arm in the cubical region and inserted a uretic catheter into his antecubital vein, threading it partly along before releasing Greda (who at this point realised the catheter was not in her arm) and telling her to call the X-Ray department. They walked some distance to the X-ray department on the floor below where under the guidance of a fluoroscope he advanced the catheter the full 60 cm into his right ventricular cavity. This was then recorded on X-Ray film showing the catheter laying in his right atrium.[3]
Quote by Zoot Allures

Forßmann was born in Berlin on August 29, 1904. Upon graduating from Askanische Gymnasium, he entered the University of Berlin to study medicine, passing the State Examination in 1929.[1]

He hypothesized that a catheter could be inserted directly into the heart, for such applications as directly delivering drugs, injecting radiopaque dyes, or measuring blood pressure. The fear at the time was that such an intrusion into the heart would be fatal.[2] To prove his point, he decided to try the experiment on himself.

That's ****ing badass and awesome.
Quote by Zoot Allures

Yeah, he makes Chuck Norris look like a sissy lol. Then again, he was also an alleged supporter of the Nazi's, and in an unfortunate bit of irony he died of heart failure!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.