I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for which tubes to stay away from and which ones are more suggested than others, as far as el84 tubes go? It's coming to the point where I would like to keep spare tubes on hand. I heard that the stock tubes that Vox is putting into their recent run of amps aren't so great, so I'm on the look out for some good replacements. As is though, I reiterate that I've had my AC15 for a while and I think it would be wise to have back-up tubes so I figure that my backups might as well be what I plan to eventually replace the stock tubes with. Any luck with JJ and EH el84s?
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
There was a rumour that JJ EL84's quality control had slipped a lot but nobody has said anything for a while. I've never had a bad one and I've bought quite a few. Imo the JJ EL84 is the only modern EL84 worth buying. I was quite concerned when people started complaining about getting dodgey ones seeing as how I build EL84 amps. With any luck the scare has come and gone because I don't know wtf I'd do if I couldn't use those anymore.
I think it's worth the gamble because a good JJ EL84 is so much better than everything else that it's ridiculous. Basically, if I couldn't get JJ's I'd be hunting down NOS ones and passing on the cost to the customer - they are that much better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
JJ makes a good EL84, but I'm not a fan of any of their other power valves.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
JJ makes a good EL84, but I'm not a fan of any of their other power valves.

What about their 6V6's? I think their 6V6's are the best thing they make. They even stand up sonically against British Brimars in tests I've done. Their 6L6's are very good too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Keeping in mind I don't play small amps, I've never tried 6V6 tubes in anything.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.

Still, their 6L6's are damn good too. In value for money I'd rate them No1.
In outright quality, second only to SED.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah, I preferred the =C='s, but you know me - I don't care if it's a bit more expensive as long as it's better.

Yeah, well, the 6L6's in my Abbey are British Brimars. It's my gigging amp so it gets nothing but the best too. Nothing but NOS for that in every position. However, I am happy to have JJ's as spares.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What about their 6V6's? I think their 6V6's are the best thing they make. They even stand up sonically against British Brimars in tests I've done. Their 6L6's are very good too.

i've heard some people say their 6v6es are almost like a 6L6 in a smaller bottle... i have no idea, but i have to admit, the jj 6v6 i put in my special 6 does have that sort of harder edge a 6L6 has when overdriven, and which i wouldn't be super-keen on.

not that i had any choice, darn tube-town was out of tungsols when i put in my order. but i might get a tungsol at some point just to see. they're meant to be a bit creamier (i think).

like jj el84s, no complaints here, but i mean i'm no expert on them either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I was testing the 6V6's in a F51 Champ. In that they are sensational. I use that as my test bed for preamp tubes a lot because it is such a simple, uncoloured circuit. You really get to hear what the valves themselves sound like unadulterated by trickery like tone controls. The JJ 6V6's had quite a lot of bite but not in a bad way. Great for cranking it into Layla territory.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
yeah bite is about the way i'd describe it

i'd probably prefer a little softer tone
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The JJ 6V6's are so tough and capable of high voltages that you can chuck them in a Fender Twin or a HRD in place of the 6L6's and play without even needing to rebias them generally.
I'm currently running a Brimar in my Champ atm. I think you'd like them, Dave. I scored it really cheap too. $20 and it was a real NOS one, obviously never been used at all
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 11, 2012,
what's the brimar like?

i mean obviously if i can get NOS at a half-decent price then that's the way to go. But for a £100 amp i don't really want to be paying £100 for a valve, lol (especially since i've already paid £50 for the upgraded speaker).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Brimar is a bit smoother than the JJ with not quite as much top end. Got a real vintage sound to it, as you'd expect. I was just lucky, it came up on ebay and inexplicably nobody bid on it. Couldn't believe my luck.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ah ok, thanks.

sounds good (nice score, too )

i'll keep an eye out for one if i can pick one up for a decent price like you
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?