Source.

Three men opened fire on Brig-Gen Dr Isa al-Kholi as he left his home in the north of the city, it said.

It is believed to be the first assassination of a senior officer in the capital since the uprising began.

The attack came as activists said 15 people had died as tanks and artillery continued to bombard the city of Homs.

The fatalities were reported in the Baba Amr district - a centre of anti-government protests - but residents said there had also been explosions and heavy gunfire in the neighbouring area of Inshaat.

Said hospital is the one right across the street from me. I think the whole "Al Qaeda" thing is ****ing bullshit, that's the state media spouting propaganda at the protests.

Discuss.
It truly is a tragedy how so many people are dying in Syria.
My heart goes out to those dying over there.

edit: i realize i didn't exactly address the issue you brought up.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Last edited by Wesseem at Feb 11, 2012,
Quote by jakesmellspoo
it was Ezio...

On the one hand, that is terrible. On the other....
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Al Qaeda is mentioned so that Western powers can eventually occupy Syria. Stay safe, Ali.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
it really sucks over there, man

my cousin was murdered three days ago

we were like brothers

this is how i found out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOwZUULbLXE

and due to the communications being so sparse over there i had to call my family members, including moe's mother and brothers and let them know myself

never felt so powerless

hope you're alright over there man

stay away from homs
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Quote by jakesmellspoo
it was Ezio...

came here to say... well, basically this.
Quote by laid-to-waste
it really sucks over there, man

my cousin was murdered three days ago

we were like brothers

this is how i found out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOwZUULbLXE

and due to the communications being so sparse over there i had to call my family members, including moe's mother and brothers and let them know myself

never felt so powerless

hope you're alright over there man

stay away from homs

That's terrible man, RIP.
l-t-w, that's so sad man. Cousins are like brothers/sisters.

Assad will pay with his life in due time, but that doesn't bring back lost friends.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
l-t-w, that's so sad man. Cousins are like brothers/sisters.

Assad will pay with his life in due time, but that doesn't bring back lost friends.

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
That's terrible man, RIP.

thanks for the kind words

ya, it's pretty horrifying

i've been to syria 5 times now, 6-7 week intervals

every time i went i'd spend 100% of my time with moe, and two other cousins

he was a legend

frankly the only thing remotely comforting about deaths like that is my family's consistently muslim, so they tell themselves they're going to heaven and they feel a little better

makes it all the more upsetting when i don't/can't/won't, though
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Feb 11, 2012,
You seriously need to get outta there dude. Stay safe
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Can the army not see they are just being ordered to murder civilians, I mean is the entire population not pretty much against the government now?
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
^ The way it goes is, either kill or be killed. If they don't do the dirty work, they get killed. But maybe some are just really ****ing sick either way. And no, I know shit loads of people who are still supporting the president (and if they ask, then I do too).

Quote by darkstar2466

I remember when I got pissed off at Libyan rebels for killing Ghaddafi instead of giving him a trial. I seriously understand where they were coming from. I hope he gets it way, way worse than that guy did.

I had a friend (well, really he was my old best friend's neighbor) who I used to play with as a kid. He was much younger than us. I heard when I first moved here that he (a 12 -13 year old) was kidnapped by the military and brought back 2 days later in a garbage bag skinned. That's seriously ****ed up. All because he said something on facebook.

I'm pretty much safe from all this, unless they check UG which i doubt they do. But yeah, I'm not worried about myself. I'm worried about everyone else, mainly Homs.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Feb 11, 2012,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I remember when I got pissed off at Libyan rebels for killing Ghaddafi instead of giving him a trial. I seriously understand where they were coming from. I hope he gets it way, way worse than that guy did.

I had a friend (well, really he was my old best friend's neighbor) who I used to play with as a kid. He was much younger than us. I heard when I first moved here that he (a 12 -13 year old) was kidnapped by the military and brought back 2 days later in a garbage bag skinned. That's seriously ****ed up. All because he said something on facebook.

I'm pretty much safe from all this, unless they check UG which i doubt they do. But yeah, I'm not worried about myself. I'm worried about everyone else, mainly Homs.

They're snooping facebook and skinning 12 year olds for speaking out? That's absofuckenlutely shameful to our entire species. It's fairly obvious that neither Assad nor his loyal killers respect the value of an individual life, but these are just straight up atrocities. There are many who would love to tear him apart like a ragdoll in an angry mob setting, and I see that as more sufficient of a punishment than a trial.

Other than fear of death, what is keeping people loyal to Assad?
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by RetroGunslinger
Can the army not see they are just being ordered to murder civilians, I mean is the entire population not pretty much against the government now?

I'm sure they know. If I recall correctly I herd on the news that some military members had defected to join the rebels.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by darkstar2466

Other than fear of death, what is keeping people loyal to Assad?

Y' know, damnit, I don't know. I would love to look it up because there is definitely an answer to that, but I am too ****in' lazy. ****
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Some generally blind/ignorant sense of patriotism where they think that 1 man = Syria. I had someone I know actually tell me about how much good he did to the country, and how much freedom there has been in it since he took power etc. (which is in a way, true in the economic sense. Before 2001 there weren't any private businesses allowed, but in other ways? yeah, loads )
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

I hope you're right. Stay safe, man.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Some generally blind/ignorant sense of patriotism where they think that 1 man = Syria. I had someone I know actually tell me about how much good he did to the country, and how much freedom there has been in it since he took power etc. (which is in a way, true in the economic sense. Before 2001 there weren't any private businesses allowed, but in other ways? yeah, loads )

It's strange how some groups of people still believe in a King, though the title doesn't particularly roll with the times. What percent of the country would you say still holds the patriotic, "leader knows best" viewpoint?
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Stay safe
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I'm honestly not sure about that.

That's one figure I would like to know. If it turns out to be > 30%, that's troubling.

Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011%E2%80%932012_Syrian_uprising

If you scroll down to the "Rallies in support of Assad", it's there.

55%, what the ****.

World Bank estimated that about 20% of Syrians were Internet users in '09. By now, I would imagine that another 10% more have stepped up to the Web.

The sample group for that survey was 97 people, and out of, say 7 million Internet users from the 23 million total , that's 0.0015% of the population being represented in the survey - no way a reliable measure.

I don't know if this is an attainable figure, given the chaos that's going on right now.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
^ He was military. Mi-li-tah-ree.

I honestly don't see how killing him helps the opposition. The hospital he was in charge of is actually a rehabilitation hospital - drug addiction, physiotherapy - nothing that's that dangerous.

Quote by darkstar2466
World Bank estimated that about 20% of Syrians were Internet users in '09. By now, I would imagine that another 10% more have stepped up to the Web.

The sample group for that survey was 97 people, and out of, say 7 million Internet users from the 23 million total , that's 0.0015% of the population being represented in the survey - no way a reliable measure.

I don't know if this is an attainable figure, given the chaos that's going on right now.

Ah my bad, didn't see those parts.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
^ He was military. Mi-li-tah-ree.

I honestly don't see how killing him helps the opposition. The hospital he was in charge of is actually a rehabilitation hospital - drug addiction, physiotherapy - nothing that's that dangerous.

Ah my bad, didn't see those parts.

And bullets don't kill people in the military? Civilians use guns too.