The title says it all.

I'm thinking about getting something along the lines of a line 6 pod for some home recordings. I'm not wanting to break the bank to be able to record at home. I just want something that I can get a decent tone out of to record some tracks at home.

My question is would a POD plus a program like mixcraft work just fine or is there a better?
Gibson Bill Kelliher Golden Axe Explorer
Agile Septor Pro 727
Peavey Ultra+ head
Randall XL cab w/Vintage 30s
Wampler Euphoria OD
Boss NS-2 Noise Surpressor
MXR 6-band EQ
A Pod will work fine for you. Later, should you decide to go deeper into home recording, you can opt for a rackmount interface, or even a full mixing console like mine.
$400-$600
Agile Septor Pro 727
Peavey Ultra+ head
Wampler Euphoria OD
MXR 6-band EQ
As well as considering using an interface to record on your PC, you should also consider using a multitracker as your DAW. They have all the same basic features as the software equivalent, but are usually easier to use and for someone who just wants to record themselves at home they can provide a lot of advantages.

Obviously if you want to get into recording as a serious thing with a view to become a professional studio technician, software is the only way forward but multitrackers can often be the better option for a home recording hobbyist.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Cool thanks for all your help guys. I have another question as far as recording goes. I'm either buying a new laptop for my recordings or an ipad with the iRig...I've heard some nice quality recordings done on the ipad using the iRig app and garage band. Which would be a better way to go?
Agile Septor Pro 727
Peavey Ultra+ head
Wampler Euphoria OD
MXR 6-band EQ
What exactly is a DAW?
Agile Septor Pro 727
Peavey Ultra+ head
Wampler Euphoria OD
MXR 6-band EQ
Digital Audio Workstation, google is your friend
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
basically what garageband is but there are ones 1000x better out there.

look up reaper it basically free and it will be your best option in combination with an interface and a mic
Sweet thanks guys. I would've looked it up on google but I was a bit busy at the moment. Ill definitly check out reaper and do some research on mics and interfaces and such.
Agile Septor Pro 727
Peavey Ultra+ head
Wampler Euphoria OD
MXR 6-band EQ