I'm getting a bit sick of having to turn my AC4 up to get it to drive so I'm looking for something with a gain knob....basically.

Budget: $800, but the catch is that it's a GC gift card so I'm very limited in my used options. I listed the used gear at my GC (that I think I'd like) later in this post.

Genres: Rock, brit-rock, blues, jazz.....anything not metal......bands: Oasis, GnR, ACDC. A whole lotta Oasis I care more about the cleans and Oasis-y type drive sounds more than anything else.

New or Used: Either but I'm pretty limited when it comes to used.

Closest City: Virginia Beach

Current Gear: MIM Strat, PRS SE245, Ibanez ART300, Vox AC4, Fender Mustang III, some drive pedals.

What do you guys think about the Tiny Terror? I haven't tried one but it's pretty appealing to me.

At my local GC, a few things I've been considering are:

Egnater Rebel 112 Cab: $189 (in case I get a head and need a cheap cab)
Peavey Valveking 212 combo: $300 (don't like it too much but it's cheap )
Fender Deville 212: $600
Vox Night Train 15 Head: $300
Line 6 Spider iv 15: $50 (for teh br00tlz!)

So that's about it for the used stuff that fits my criteria, sort of.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
traynor yc40 or 50 or kustom coupé? EDIT: if gc stocks them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ghold125
Can you link us to your Guitar Centers used page?

Can't but go to http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm and the zip code is 23462

Quote by Dave_Mc
traynor yc40 or 50 or kustom coupé? EDIT: if gc stocks them.

I'd prefer if I can try the amps before buying and VA Beach GC doesn't have them
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Feb 11, 2012,
Traynor YCV40 would be perfect. but the Orange Tiny Terror would be decent. the thing is, its not so different from the ac4, its a one channel amp with only three knobs.

BTW, ACDC could easily be considered metal and Guns N roses are hard rock.
Quote by itamar100
Traynor YCV40 would be perfect. but the Orange Tiny Terror would be decent. the thing is, its not so different from the ac4, its a one channel amp with only three knobs.

BTW, ACDC could easily be considered metal and Guns N roses are hard rock.

Yeah but the AC4 can only do a mild drive sound and the speaker starts flapping like crazy once you turn it up a bit.

And ACDC = Metal
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Can't but go to http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm and the zip code is 23462

I'd prefer if I can try the amps before buying and VA Beach GC doesn't have them

dang if you ask me they'd both be pretty good for what you want, and better than the ones in your list (that i've tried)

i guess just go to your local gc and see what they have and try everything you can?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

i guess just go to your local gc and see what they have and try everything you can?

Yeah, that's probably what I'll end up doing. Right now though, I'm sold on the Tiny Terror. I hate EQing amps because it's never "perfect".

How do you think the Night Train compares to the Tiny Terror? Youtube vids make it pretty hard to judge....
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I've only tried the TT

i wasn't much fussed
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
How loud do you need it? It sounds like you want it just for bedroom volumes, in which case you might enjoy the Vox Lil' Night train. 2 watts, good cleans, gets a nice OD at low volumes too. You might need to do some tweaking to get the OD sound you want.
Quote by JKHC
Peavey Valveking 212 combo: $300 (don't like it too much but it's cheap )

If you don't like it, why would the price matter?

I hate the spider, but it's in my budget, so why not
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by jpatan

I hate the spider, but it's in my budget, so why not

Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Sorry for the double post but I have another question.

The TT (which I'm leaning towards atm) as two 8 ohms and a 16 ohm. What inputs do 2x12 cabs normally have?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC

The TT (which I'm leaning towards atm) as two 8 ohms and a 16 ohm. What inputs do 2x12 cabs normally have?

Depends on the cab, but usually 8 or 16... My 212 is 8. That head would run pretty much any cab with those outputs.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by surjer
JKHC - You in VB dude? If so, thats where im @ - Over by trashmore..

Let me know if you need help!

Nah, I'm in Yorktown but that's the only "proper" guitar store nearby. Are there any other decent stores in VB?

EDIT: Just started snowing/hailing here About time! I've been waiting 3 months for this.
^^^You ****ing suck!
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Feb 11, 2012,
Alpha Music is pretty awesome which is probably 4 miles or so east of GC. Its a local owned shop with great technicians and sales staff. They arent on commision either! =)

They dont carry much in the way of used gear tho. Definately worth checking out if you havent been there before.
Quote by JKHC
Nah, I'm in Yorktown but that's the only "proper" guitar store nearby. Are there any other decent stores in VB?

EDIT: Just started snowing/hailing here About time! I've been waiting 3 months for this.
^^^You ****ing suck!

You ****ing suck.
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
Quote by JKHC

normally 8

but i mean it could be anything

2x16 ohm in parallel is 8
2x16 in series is 32 (you never get 32 ohm cabs so you can ignore that one)

2x8 ohm in series is 16 ohm
2x8 ohm in parallel is 4 ohm

2x4 ohm in series is 8 ohm
2x4 in parallel is 2 ohm (you rarely if ever see 2 ohm cabs, again you can pretty much discount that one)

but yeah... it can be any. but if you want to bet, i'd bet on 8, kind of thing. you have two options there for 8.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks Dave_Mc

Should I pay a bit more for a decent 2x12 or stick with a 1x12?

Quote by Shining_Yrael
You ****ing suck.

You ****ing suck.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
i'd prolly get a 2x12 if you can afford it and have the room (and can lift it)

i'd only really get a 1x12 if you were getting a killer deal, say. for example i got my valve junior 1x12 cab for like £60. At that kind of price, why the heck not?, kind of thing. but if a 2x12 is only slightly more than a 1x12, get a 2x12. (bear in mind, though, that if you have to swap speakers, it'll get expensive with a 2x12, whereas with a 1x12 it's doable normally).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^ All great points, would like to add to it that if you get a 212 you can mix match speaker sets for different tones. Like a V30 and a g12T75 kinda deal.. (or whatever your heart desires)
yep that too

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is the used Egnater Rebel 112 cab worth it for $190? It has a Celestion Elite 80 speaker and retails for $280. Just in case I don't find a decent, cheap cab.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by beckyjc
What about the new blue ACs? THey have gain knobs asfaik.

Nah, I'm planning on keeping my AC4 and am looking for something different. I don't think I can stand to buy the exact same thing with a gain knob.......hard to explain.

Thoughts on the Egnater Tweaker 40?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Shameless self bump because I'm going to GC in a few hours.

Thoughts on the Egnater Tweaker 40?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
what do you need it for? home use? cause i would say a lil night train and an OD pedal will give you what you want for bedroom playing.

...i mean your coming from an ac4 and going to a fender deville? there is a game change in there somewhere. your not gonna play an engnater rebel or fender deville in the house well. not unless you live in the burbs.

for 800 you do have a lot of options in the smaller lunchbox type catagory. you can easily get a semi boutique amp with power scaling. you dont need to pick the typical cookie-cutter amps on the market...which you pretty much did exactly.
I do live in the suburbs. My neighbors probably won't be able to hear me if I turn it up.

Well, ill just go there and try them.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by Shining_Yrael
ACDC ****ing sucks.

A crate of Taipans and Tigersnakes is on its way to your home to teach you the error of your ways.

Wouldn't an AC15 be the more obvious upgrade?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification