So i was curious if most coffee shops that do live music really care about the genre of the music that plays. I play a higher tempo "emo" if i must use that word, style of acoustic and was not sure if coffee shops like faster guitar and louder singing. I am playing at my friends shop but he is a friend so i could pretty much play whatever there. Does anyone have any experience with the "coffee shop" or cafe scene. My lyrics aren't vulgar or anything they are just emotional, and i'm not the typical folk whisper into the mic style so i just don't know if i would be able to play at these places. Does anyone else have any experience playing venues or gigs that you don't quite fit in at?
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Hurricane - Bob Dylan
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
not okay - any grindcore

okay - soft songs such as nothing else matters, jason mraz, frank sinatra, chet baker
preety much any kind of pop song
If you're a half decent musician you can even take some harder rock songs and bring it down a few notches; slow it down etc. Sometimes covers like that are better than the originals.
Quote by Frankeer
OH!
Snowing and Braid are probally good bands as well to play

hell yeah, i'll play pump fake.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Quote by Castiel_91
If you're a half decent musician you can even take some harder rock songs and bring it down a few notches; slow it down etc. Sometimes covers like that are better than the originals.
Agreed. Bruce Springsteen does an acoustic version of his own, "Born to Run", and it's better than with his band.

Nice thick rhythm, key of E major.
Go check out the place before you play. The crowd that is hanging out there will fill you in on what is ok and what isn't. If it is a bunch of soccer moms escaping for the evening, your set list will be a lot different than if it is a much of indie hipsters. Go check out the vibe and then go from there.
Trying to find the time to go from a guitar owner back to being a guitar player after 9 years, 1 wife, and 3 kids. Have to wear guitar headphones so I don't wake the kids. Being an adult is fun, huh?
Quote by fatmysummer
i cum blood-ok

the black keys-not ok

Thanks...For making it clear.
Quote by burns777
Go check out the place before you play. The crowd that is hanging out there will fill you in on what is ok and what isn't. If it is a bunch of soccer moms escaping for the evening, your set list will be a lot different than if it is a much of indie hipsters. Go check out the vibe and then go from there.

+1
Just play smooth laid back kind of songs, maybe a little jazz, you definitely don't want to play sreamo at a coffee shop (if it's the kind of shop I'm thinking of anyways) I usually go there to relax and hang with friends, so I guess play relaxing music? Of course if it's some sort of party club coffee shop then you can play loud rock all you want
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix