Page 1 of 4
I watched X-Men: First Class the other day and hte most surprising thing about it was, surprisingly, not that James McAvoy actually managed to avoid portraying a character so thoroughly unlikable that you'd actually root for Idi Amin to spite him a la his dreadful turn in The Last King of Scotland but that *SPOILER ALERT* they killed of the only black character. The only good person to die in the whole film was black. In 2011.
This would be slightly more forgivable if they hadn't done EXACTLY THE SAME THING in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

To add insult to injury, it took place in a film stemming from a comic book widely seen as an allegory for the civil rights movement and that allegedly takes an anti-discrimination stance. It's fucking bizarre that this still happens.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
The fact that he's mutant and black cancel out one another like when you multiply negative numbers, so his civil rights are out the window.
Implying that the guy died because he was black and not because it was written that way in the script. Go cry me a river.
It's also bizarre that it takes place in 1962.

NINETEEN

SIXTYTWO.

Not ****ing 2011.

Hollywood is not racist. Hollywood is paying attention to the time the story was written. It would have been racist to kill off all the white characters and leave the black man alive, or change the ethnical background of the main character(s) to that of a black man.

This is just true-to-the-story.
Quote by Meths
I watched X-Men

That was your first mistake.
Check out my band Disturbed
Hollywood sucks at portraying anyone that isn't a straight white male as a legitimate human being free of cultural stereotypes and minstrelsy, and they sometimes even fail at that. It's kind of funny in a way.
Go cry more TS.

Quote by darkstar2466
Token black person must be sacrificed. That's like rule #3 of movie making.

Also this.

I think I would kill myself if I got so whiny about every little thing that I see, like the majority of the Pit does.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Feb 11, 2012,

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
With all the bleeding heart liberals in Hollywood, you'd think otherwise wouldn't you?
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Dominic Monoghan died within the first twenty minutes of X-men Origins: Wolverine. I don't think he's black.
Balls.
Quote by darkstar2466

I just saw "Chronicle" and yet again this rule holds true
MY GEAR:
2001 Fender Tom Delonge Stratocaster

2004 PRS SE EG with SD JB in bridge and staggered single coils in middle and neck position

2011 Epiphone Tom Delonge ES-333

2010 Fender Frontman 212R

2011 Vox Tonelab ST
the whole theater laughed when some character said "slavery", and it panned over the black guy
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by Ur all $h1t

I think a more objectionable trend is the "Will Smith's always opposite Latino Girls" one.

I never realized this was a widespread issue until Donald Glover mentioned it in a Childish Gambino song, but it's sadly true upon examination and is a much more real issue than what is in the OP.
Now that I think of it, same thing happened in Rise of the Silver Surfer. Only person we saw die (and was somewhat an antagonist for the first bit of the film) is the general, who was black. He also got a very strong worded bashing on how the stretchy guy "stayed at home and studied" and the general could "only play football".

Kinda racist.

EDIT: Maybe Marvel is making that a sort of unwritten trademark, just for laughs? The whole racist movie cliches? Who knows.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Feb 11, 2012,
Quote by iro-bot31
I never realized this was a widespread issue until Donald Glover mentioned it in a Childish Gambino song, but it's sadly true upon examination and is a much more real issue than what is in the OP.

I think I read it somewhere and then I was actually really happy to hear Donald Glover mention it. It's insidious, the kind of thing you'll only notice when its pointed out, and the reasoning behind it reflects far worse on everyone.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
¿Por que, negro?
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I think I read it somewhere and then I was actually really happy to hear Donald Glover mention it. It's insidious, the kind of thing you'll only notice when its pointed out, and the reasoning behind it reflects far worse on everyone.

I read a Cracked article (which I honestly can't find now) that shows just how racist Hollywood can be. The reason Will Smith is one of the very, very few black actors to get so many lead roles is really because he's "not that black". As in, his skin isn't very dark.

Apparently, studios notice that the highest grossing films usually have a white actor for the lead role. It's ridiculous.
Quote by I.O.T.M
¿Por que, negro?

'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
I've seen Morgan Freeman die twice in all the movies I've seen with him in them. Samuel L. Jackson twice. Denzel Washington once. Will Smith never. I'm not saying it's not true, but it's not like being black in a movie is an automatic death sentence/the first one to go - I can think of plenty of people who died before Samuel L. Jackson in Episode III. Dozens of Nazis who got shot up before Jacky Ido died in Inglorious Basterds, and Nazis are, by-definition, white.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 11, 2012,
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I read a Cracked article (which I honestly can't find now) that shows just how racist Hollywood can be. The reason Will Smith is one of the very, very few black actors to get so many lead roles is really because he's "not that black". As in, his skin isn't very dark.

Apparently, studios notice that the highest grossing films usually have a white actor for the lead role. It's ridiculous.

Uh, Denzel Washington? Morgan Freedman? Cuba Gooding Jr?
My God, it's full of stars!
Worse example is the remake of Akira. From the released cast list not a single Japanese/Japanese-American actor.
OUT OF ORDER
isnt it racist to say that a black person cant be the only one to die in a movie?
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Feb 11, 2012,
Quote by loose bowels
Worse example is the remake of Akira. From the released cast list not a single Japanese/Japanese-American actor.

How can you just automatically blame that on racism, lol? Maybe "non Japanese/Japanese-American actors" were the best who auditions, or even the only ones? What does it even matter?
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

(Invalid img)

*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by loose bowels
Why would they cast Japanese actors in an American movie?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Meths
they killed of the only black character.

Ummm......

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2368789/
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by loose bowels

I had such a badass Akira shirt back in the day. No idea what happened to it.

Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
It's ok guys, at least they got the ethnicity of the lead actor in Prince of Persia right.

Oh wait..
Quote by element4433
*black actors*

How many times do you see them in lead roles for high grossing films?

I'm trying to find the article because I'm not sure if I'm saying exactly what it said.
Quote by necrosis1193
Will Smith never.

Will Smith died first in a movie he played the lead role in, lulz.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
How many times do you see them in lead roles for high grossing films?

I'm trying to find the article because I'm not sure if I'm saying exactly what it said.

Is it this one? http://www.cracked.com/article_19549_5-old-timey-prejudices-that-still-show-up-in-every-movie_p2.html

Look at that list of the top-grossing actors again. Other than Murphy and Smith, the only names in the top 50 are Chris Rock, Billy Dee Williams (because of Star Wars) and Morgan Freeman. How many of them were the stars of their big movies? For Morgan Freeman, in his top 10 most successful films he was the lead in only one (Driving Miss Daisy -- a movie about race relations). Was Chris Rock the lead in any of his top 20 biggest movies?
Quote by due 07
Will Smith died first in a movie he played the lead role in, lulz.

Which movie was that?
Page 1 of 4