Yep, after owning the RK for 7 months, I've decided to sell it off. Wasn't getting enough use and when it was, I was never thoroughly impressed with how it sounded perchance. Sure, it could nail any modern rock tone and had a very nice clean/light OD sound to it, but the lead channels left more to be desired. I guess I fall under the list of people who don't like how loose the Rectifiers feel, even with an OD in front of them.

With that hoopla being said, here's what you guys really care about.

Budget - Nothing over $2000.

Genres - Alt. rock/metal (think Audioslave), progressive metal (Dream Theater), some reggae.

New/Used - Doesn't really matter. Preferably used because, let's face it, I'll probably be selling this in the future too

Home or Gig - Both. Probably more in a studio and small gig sense, so 100w+ isn't necessary whatsoever. Never should be..

Closest City - Philadelphia, Washington,DC, and Harrisburg, PA.

Current Gear - Should all be in my profile, but I'll list relevant gear: Custom built black walnut guitar with BKP Aftermaths, MXR Micro Amp, Boss NS2, Korg Pitchblack, Crate BV412 with V30's in it.

Rackmount or Standard - Preferably standard setup (just a head), but I'd be willing to convert to rackmount.

I've scouted out some builders like Baron, Splawn, Bogner, etc, but am way too indecisive about this. Found an Uberschall Rev2 on ebay for $1800, but I'm not wanting to impulse buy until I hear some reviews or recommendations.

Some specific amps I've had my eye on include the Baron K2, Mesa Triaxis, and Mesa Mark IV/V.

Advanced thank you for everyone who helps!
I'd take a strong look at the Mark V and Baron K88 or B series.

Splawn Nitro is worth a look as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I just wish I had a chance to test a Baron before buying it. With that being said, they sound amazing and pretty damn reliable from what I've read/heard. It's just the fact that I have no way of trying one before I buy that puts me off ever so slightly.
Mark V

Then again, maybe you should try a different brand altogether. You could try out the Egnater Vengeance or Armageddon. I have the Vengeance and I've got clips up on my profile if you want to hear it. I can also make clips if there is anything specific you want to hear. The Armageddon is basically the same thing with more features.
Used Marshall JCM800 (50 watt) ($800) + New Fender Vintage Reissue '65 Deluxe Reverb combo (22watt) ($1000)

But you will also need as Tubescreamer/cleanboost to boost the JCM into true metal territory and an A/B switch to switch between the two.

But that is an unstoppable combination. Best of distortion and Clean tones.
Last edited by T7E at Feb 11, 2012,
As of this morning, the Road King has officially been sold.

I found a Peavey 5150+Marshall 1960 being sold for $1000 as a package, but I really wanna get more diversity than just a straight 5150 tone. Plus I've already owned one, so that's probably not gonna happen.

Still looking at getting a Baron Custom though
Bogner Extacy seems like a good choice.

I know what you mean TS, I've been eyeing a Baron K88 and the DHG. but without being able to try first, I'm just not able to pull the triger right now.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Bogner Extacy seems like a good choice.

I know what you mean TS, I've been eyeing a Baron K88 and the DHG. but without being able to try first, I'm just not able to pull the triger right now.

Eh. If he wants something with a less spongy feel than the Road King, I don't think the XTC is gonna be his thing. Killer amps but I just don't think it's what he's looking for.

Personally, I'd look into Baron, Mako, ENGL and maybe a CAA OD100SE+. The Mark series is really tight but it's also a very different sound. You may even be able to find a Diezel Einstein within your price range which would be pretty killer.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
kylendm is our resident Baronhead on UG forums. Send him a PM and he'll help you out.

Baron stuff is very reasonably priced for custom handbuilt heads, if you ask me.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Alright, so I've talked to both Kyle and Dave and I think Baron is looking like my best bet for a new amp. I'm looking to get a MII custom, which is the same as a K88 but can run either EL34 or 6L6GC power tubes. I probably won't order it for a couple of weeks/months though... gonna give my local Guitar Center a visit soon.