Hi guys. My Randal RM50 1x12 just started doing this weird tremolo with the occasional distortion that sounds like a bad fart. Obviously something is failing but I can't find any info that points to what causes the volume to go haywire like that. Any ideas?
Probably the tubes bro (That is a tube amp, right?) If it isn't the tubes, it could be your guitar cable. One of mine is going bad and makes the volume fluctuate, kind of like what you're describing
What all do you have plugged into it? My bassist had this happen to his amp and he just unplugged everything from the amp, set all the controls to default, and it stopped. I don't know much about it, but our other guitarist said something about a phase problem. He just set everything back up after that and it was fine.
It happens both when plugged into my board and when I just use a direct cable connection. I'll play around with swapping the cable to see if that does anything.
Nope, switched out the cable and it still happens. It happens at random intervals though- in this case I played for a good five minutes before it started to fart and the volume started changing . Also the fart only occurs when a string is vibrating.
Can you see the power tubes? Are they flickering when this happens? I'm guessing it's a power tube problem.

EDIT: Take a pencil and tap (not super light but don't beat them either) on the pre's too, is there one that you can hear distinctly through the amp compared to the others?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Feb 11, 2012,
I'm blind so can't comment on how the power tubes look. The preamp tubes all sound the same and there's no weird humming or nonsensical feedback squeals. Power tube bias is in the middle of the acceptable range.
Quote by Blktiger0
Could you possibly take a video of the amp's tubes for us?

Err.. he's blind?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Err.. he's blind?

I've never had a personal experience with anyone that had a sight impairment, so I don't know what he's capable of. He's using a text-based forum via a computer, so I imagine if that's possible, there's a way for him to capture video. Maybe a friend or family member could help? If they just take a video, we could easily identify a power tube problem. It was just an idea. Better to try it and see if it works than to not say anything when it would work.

If I don't ask, it won't work.

If I do ask, it might work.

I went with asking. Worst case scenario, I learn something and he gets offended, in which case I apologize for my ignorance. Best case scenario, it works and the problem gets solved.
Quote by Blktiger0
I've never had a personal experience with anyone that had a sight impairment, so I don't know what he's capable of. He's using a text-based forum via a computer, so I imagine if that's possible, there's a way for him to capture video. Maybe a friend or family member could help? If they just take a video, we could easily identify a power tube problem. It was just an idea. Better to try it and see if it works than to not say anything when it would work.

If I don't ask, it won't work.

If I do ask, it might work.

I went with asking. Worst case scenario, I learn something and he gets offended, in which case I apologize for my ignorance. Best case scenario, it works and the problem gets solved.

Hmm good point, i retract my point.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.