Hello acoustic forum. I have very little knowledge on these guitars specifically. I've had one for awhile, but never wanted to play it due to.. well, i just found them uncomfortable. So, long story short, I fixed mine and am attempting to play it.
To fix it, I had to get a new saddle, and new bridge pins. I put em in. All the strings are on.
Now, I dont remember anything about the way it looked before. I think the source of its crappy sound is the action. The strings are very high. id say, maybe 2 inches.
I think I need to lower it, but im not really sure how to do it.
"A guitar is your personality expressed through six strings"

"I'm cuddly bitch, deal with it"
If the strings are literally 2 inches off the fretboard, I don't know how your neck hasn't snapped in half.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by Viban
2 Whole Inches From Your Fretboard?

could be exaggerating, but theyre pretty high up.

considering 2 inches are about 6 cm... shit man...

and yes, i do agree, acoustics sound terrible if cheap.

i love nylon stringed ones tho
Quote by Spaztikko
considering 2 inches are about 6 cm... shit man...
The conversion factor from CM to inches is approximately .39.

Soooo, 2.00 (inches) divided by .39 (CM) equals about 5.2 (answer in CM).

What this means in practical terms, is that now both of you are bullshitting...
I dont have a ruler or anything. chill. either way, the actions ridiculously high. Im an acoustic noob, how do I lower it.
Also, yes it is cheap. I dont by expensive things if Im not sure ill like them. If I get into playing acoustics, ill get a better one.

it'd be nice for someone who knows more about accoustics to chime in, you could have it done at a shop more than likely i'll say that much
yea. seems like people are just flaming me.

Last edited by Iblis92 at Feb 11, 2012,
Well, I know a little something about acoustic guitars, and flaming. If you come in blowing out stories that your guitar's action is, "2 inches high", it's a pretty fair bet you'll get flamed, and not get a straight answer.

Now, do you want a do over, and some help? If so, read this, http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/guitars_and_setup/setup_page_01.html (especially page 5), and get back to us.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 11, 2012,
Ok, so theres my answer then. Gotta sand the bottom of the saddle down.

Exactly. There is another contingency however. Should the neck be set at the wrong angle, (too high), the guitar is a throw me away.

The exact issue(or symptom) there would be, if the neck is set too high, you can't sand the saddle far enough down to get a reasonable action height, without the strings hitting the bridge itself.

I mention this because sometimes this is exactly the case with inexpensive and/or older guitars. The body can collapse ever so slightly, thereby lifting the neck. It doesn't take much, believe me.
If thats the case. how could I reset the neck?

The short answer is, you probably can't, and it would cost way more than it's worth to have a pro do it.

Just get some feeler gauges and see how much of an improvement you can make sanding the saddle.

A quick way to tell how successful you might be, is by how much saddle plastic is showing above the bridge. If there's a goodly amount, then a good sanding will likely help.

You do have to beg or borrow some feeler gauges and some sticky back sandpaper, ("DA" paper form a body shop, in 80 (rough) and 220 (fine) grits One sheet of each should do the job. (It's 6" in diameter). Plus, a nice piece of flat plate glass before you undertake this project.

A 1/4" thick piece from and old coffee table or the like should work. Just lay it on a decent flat surface first.
allright then. Thanks, Ill give it a go.

Quote by Iblis92
allright then. Thanks, Ill give it a go.
OK then. Keep Becker's web page handy, don't try to do it all in one shot. Sand it some, string it back up, check for buzz, measure, and do it again if it needs more.

Anyway, good luck, and you're welcome.