This is hard to put into words, but here we go...

This is driving me mad. If I play a regular-ass powerchord with my first and pinky, it sounds fine, but if I do one with my second and pinky, such as the intro to "...And Justice for All" the string I'm pressing with my pinky goes sharp. The Dave Mustaine spider chord does the same thing.

Basically, if I'm pressing the string down with one finger, it's alright, but if I have another finger planted on that same string BEFORE the fret I'm going for, it'll be sharp. Could it be just the strings being a little too high at the nut?
ESP Edwards Explorer - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD V-300 - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD EC-401 - DiMarzio D Activator
Ibanez RG2EX2 - DiMarzio Super Distortion / LiquiFire
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100
BOSS NS-2
Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner
Quote by HeavyMetalSonic

This is driving me mad. If I play a regular-ass powerchord with my first and pinky, it sounds fine, but if I do one with my second and pinky, such as the intro to "...And Justice for All" the string I'm pressing with my pinky goes sharp. The Dave Mustaine spider chord does the same thing.

Basically, if I'm pressing the string down with one finger, it's alright, but if I have another finger planted on that same string BEFORE the fret I'm going for, it'll be sharp. Could it be just the strings being a little too high at the nut?

You are the one sharpening the notes, stop fretting them so hard.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Quote by Slashiepie
You are the one sharpening the notes, stop fretting them so hard.

I'm not.
BOSS NS-2
Quote by HeavyMetalSonic

No, it is you.

If the only difference is how many fingers are on the strings then you need to only press in one place; release the pressure of the fingers behind the one you're using when you're fretting. Really ideal technique says you should be doing that anyway but still, this is causing you problems so you need to do it.

What's actually happening is that the note is fine when you're pressing with one finger but if you have another finger behind it you're causing another slight bend in the string, causing the note to go ever-so-slightly out of tune.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Not all of my guitars are doing, though.
BOSS NS-2
They probably have different sized frets
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
Quote by HeavyMetalSonic
Not all of my guitars are doing, though.

If the only thing that changes is what you're doing how is it going to be anything elses fault?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have a guitar.. a MIM Standard Strat... I can set the intonation on that guitar so that it's perfect at the 12th fret, but if I play an open D chord, the G string goes sharp...

I have to set the intonation on at least the G string at the 12th to get close, then I play a D chord, and set the intonation again while playing different chords and come up with a happy medium...

Now, as has been said... playing heavy handed will cause your strings to go sharp... I play heavy handed, so I adjust my guitar to how I play... It's the only guitar I have that plays that way, so something about the guitar is different then the others... but.. It works for me..

Hope this helps
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If the only thing that changes is what you're doing how is it going to be anything elses fault?

What I'm doing doesn't change. I can do the same thing on a different guitar and it'll sound fine.
BOSS NS-2
Quote by HeavyMetalSonic
What I'm doing doesn't change. I can do the same thing on a different guitar and it'll sound fine.

Ok, I'll put it in plainer English for you:

If you fret a string with one finger and it intonates fine there's nothing wrong with the guitar. If you fret a string with more than one finger it is perfectly logical that it would go out of tune because you're adding another bend in the string, effectively changing the tension on the string.

Learn to relax the fingers you're not using. It's good technique anyway.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Ok, I'll put it in plainer English for you:

If you fret a string with one finger and it intonates fine there's nothing wrong with the guitar. If you fret a string with more than one finger it is perfectly logical that it would go out of tune because you're adding another bend in the string, effectively changing the tension on the string.

Learn to relax the fingers you're not using. It's good technique anyway.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm trying tell you that this problem is only on certain guitars, which leads me to believe that it's the nut (just put on Earvanas with no slot filing done) or something else regarding the set up. My RG will sound just fine; no matter what I'm doing, but my LTDs and Gibson go sharp.
BOSS NS-2
I had/have a similar problem. I was practicing scale patterns while watching the tuner. Intonation was spot on but I kept having the odd quarter/half sharp note pop up. Finally figured out it was because I was fretting differantly with each finger, some I was fretting halfway between the frets and others were fretted against the fret bar. On my Ovation I never noticed it but on my new Gibson SG Standard it just didn't sound right. The tuner proved it was me that was causing it. Maybe some guitars are more forgiving than others?
Quote by HeavyMetalSonic
I understand what you're saying, but I'm trying tell you that this problem is only on certain guitars, which leads me to believe that it's the nut (just put on Earvanas with no slot filing done) or something else regarding the set up. My RG will sound just fine; no matter what I'm doing, but my LTDs and Gibson go sharp.

FFS during the friggin time you spent justifying your lack of effort and all the mental time you have spent blaming your guitars, you could have easily fixed your technqiue problem..

ill say it again. ITS YOU, YOUR ****ING FINGERS!
not the strings, nor your pickups, nor your tuner, nor your neck, nor your amp.

Also know the guitar is an imperfect instrument, unless you have a tempered one, not all chords can be on tune on all places etc etc..

But if only adding a finger screws a perfectly in tune chord, go learn how to play guitar ,practice and stop looking for excuses.
Quote by Hail
i'm the internet equivalent of ripping the skin off my face and strangling you with it right now

Quote by Steve Albini
Remixing is for talentless pussies who don't know how to tune a drum or point a microphone.
Last edited by Slashiepie at Feb 13, 2012,
This really sounds like a technique issue more than anything to be honest, a guitar doesn't have a concious mind that goes "Hey, this guy is using different fingers than he usually does, let's **** him over!"

Maybe you don't fret too hard, but subconciously bend the string a bit with your pinky instead of pushing it straight down? I noticed a friend of me who is quite new having this exact issue
My gear:

Ibanez S5470-TKS with a BKP Nailbomb Bridge, Cold Sweat Neck, Trillogy Suite Middle single coil
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Cube 60
M-Audio Fast Track Pro
Guitar Rig 5
Slashpie, you need to chill a bit.

TS, it's your technique that's doing that. The reason it's not doing that on some guitars as opposed to others is possibly due to different amounts of string tension. If you've got different gauge strings on one guitar or one is tuned lower without a proper correction on the string tension, that guitar might be more prone to this problem.

If it's only on one guitar, go check to see what gauge the strings are relative to your other guitars, check the tuning, check the natural intonation, check the setup in general. It's possible that one of those things is aggravating the problem, but the issue you're having is in your technique. It could just be that a poor setup is making your bad technique really apparent.
^^ you're right,i´ve been kinda dickish lately.
Quote by Hail

Quote by Steve Albini