I've been playing for about 5 years, warming up lately with runs up and down the neck, and rolling around those Chinese medicine balls in my hands (these are great!).
I've always had a hard time doing full bar chords lower on the neck - F, F#... The other day after I practiced this, my forearm felt like it was sprained, the area just below the elbow. Now, two weeks later it feels like it's broken. This is blowing my mind.
This ever happened to anyone? Remedies?
Well, are you sure it's not "tennis elbow"? (tendonitis). If all else fails, have it X-rayed. I suppose a stress fracture is possible, if not probable.

I've never heard of even Peter Townshend breaking his arm playing the guitar, and look at the way he acts.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Feb 12, 2012,
if you break your arm playing guitar, I think you have bigger problems...
Gibson SG Special - Tony Iommi pickups
Martin 000CXEBLACK acoustic/electric

Lefties Unite
IS THIS IT?
Unlikely that it's a break, not impossible just the odd of it actually being one are slim. If it doesn't feel a bit better after 3-4 days go get some x-rays just in case.

I suggest slow arm curls with no weight move as much as your arm as possible, take your time stretch it out 2-5 minutes before you practice. The warm up you use now is only moving certain parts of your arm, you want to move as much of it as possible before you play.

There really isn't much that can be done for sprains, avoid hurting yourself again and make sure you stretch out the area in question 2-3 times a day. After you wake up, sometime in the middle of the day and then just before bed until you're feeling better.
Last edited by BigHeadClan at Feb 12, 2012,
If your arm was indeed broken, there would likely be a lot of swelling.

I still think that tendonitis is something that needs to be ruled out.
If it was a hairline fracture or another type of small break then swelling could be very minor, but I agree with you that tendonitis or some other type of strain is most likely.

Lucky for you Chris it's the same method of recovery for dealing with either!
There are these people called doctors that could check out your arm for you.
Quote by Captaincranky
I've never heard of even Peter Townshend breaking his arm playing the guitar, and look at the way he acts.

Actually he put a tremolo bar through his hand while windmilling in Tacoma, WA in 1989.
(I guess technically he didn't break his arm, but that must have hurt)
Last edited by Quintex at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by Quintex
There are these people called doctors that could check out your arm for you.

Actually he put a tremolo bar through his hand while windmilling in Tacoma, WA in 1989.
OUCH, I'll bet that left mark...!

Anyway, if you look the cover of "The Who Sell Out", you'll see he doesn't have very much in the way of skin on any of his pick hand knuckles!

I missed the trem bar anecdote. I didn't think he even used tremolo. He was into a numbered Les Paul phase for quite a while.