By fans, I don't mean that you like maybe a few classical pieces. I mean that there are multiple composers that you actively listen to and are familiar with, and (although not necessarily) you might go out and see classical performances.

Presumably, most of us weren't into classical music first before any genre. For most of us it might not be our favorite genre. Usually you have "your" genre like Metal, Classic Rock, Electronica, Rap etc. but you've also gotten into classical music.

Did listening and/or studying classical music make you lower your opinion of music you previously listened to? Maybe you were a really big fan of Led Zeppelin, but after listening to a lot of Bach or Wagner works, all those Zeppelin tracks don't seem like the greatest thing on earth anymore. If it didn't necessarily make you lower your opinion, how did it affect your opinion?

For me, I started out a Rock guitarist, and now that I'm into the classical guitar deal, classical music introduced me to a new level of technical difficulty. Electric guitar solos I was really impressed by don't really seem that impressive to me anymore. I still love the music and everything, but I'm not impressed by it as much compared to when I think about some of the performances I've seen in classical guitar competitions.

I still enjoy the same music I listened to before classical music, but I don't think it's like the greatest thing on earth like I used to. Some of it might just be age, as before I got into classical, I was a 15-year-old classic rock fanboy.
I only listen to gangsta rap,where rappers rap about busting a cap in yo ass,bling bling,da hood,hating cops,gangs and such.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
What about the gangsta rap,where rappers rap about busting a cap in yo ass,bling bling,da hood,hating cops,gangs and such.
I don't actively listen to classical music, but I will listen to it every now and then. I'm not any less impressed by the music I previously listened to, it's a completely different realm of music. I don't think classical artists could write rock songs, and vice-versa. Anytime I get into any other music it doesn't discredit the music I listened to before. Even going as far back as bands like Nirvana that I liked, sure I got into other talented bands who had better technical ability, but each musician/artists has their place in time.
I don't regularly listen to classical music and find the question posed to be very homosexual.
West Ham United
Quote by The Madcap
By fans, I don't mean that you like maybe a few classical pieces. I mean that there are multiple composers that you actively listen to and are familiar with, and (although not necessarily) you might go out and see classical performances.

Presumably, most of us weren't into classical music first before any genre. For most of us it might not be our favorite genre. Usually you have "your" genre like Metal, Classic Rock, Electronica, Rap etc. but you've also gotten into classical music.

Did listening and/or studying classical music make you lower your opinion of music you previously listened to? Maybe you were a really big fan of Led Zeppelin, but after listening to a lot of Bach or Wagner works, all those Zeppelin tracks don't seem like the greatest thing on earth anymore. If it didn't necessarily make you lower your opinion, how did it affect your opinion?

For me, I started out a Rock guitarist, and now that I'm into the classical guitar deal, classical music introduced me to a new level of technical difficulty. Electric guitar solos I was really impressed by don't really seem that impressive to me anymore. I still love the music and everything, but I'm not impressed by it as much compared to when I think about some of the performances I've seen in classical guitar competitions.

I still enjoy the same music I listened to before classical music, but I don't think it's like the greatest thing on earth like I used to. Some of it might just be age, as before I got into classical, I was a 15-year-old classic rock fanboy.

To the first question, no.

To the second question, that's hard for me to answer. I simultaneously developed a taste and listening for artists such as Joe Satriani, classical/romantic/baroque composers, and bands such as Opeth, so I had a pretty diverse introduction to complicated music.

Maybe it's because I had an awesome instructor when I was younger, but classical instruction (of which I am very separated from now) and listening has never heavily changed my view of music. I've never become an elitist or anything because of it. I still love simple music.
My God, it's full of stars!
i like classical. my favorite of pieces would be Holst's Planets Symphony

I can't say it's had an affect on how I view other music. I try not to judge music by technical difficulty, and classical music is just a different medium for expressing the same range of human emotions, just like a Hendrix song or an Indian raga. I'm still impressed by the power of a technically simple Dave Gilmour guitar solo, just as I'm impressed by the genius of Bach.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by Dreadnought
To the first question, no.

To the second question, that's hard for me to answer. I simultaneously developed a taste and listening for artists such as Joe Satriani, classical/romantic/baroque composers, and bands such as Opeth, so I had a pretty diverse introduction to complicated music.

Maybe it's because I had an awesome instructor when I was younger, but classical instruction (of which I am very separated from now) and listening has never heavily changed my view of music. I've never become an elitist or anything because of it. I still love simple music.
I don't think you're accusing me of being elitist or anything, but just so people don't get the wrong idea about me, I still love simple music as well, and my favorite genre is IDM electronic music, which is often ridiculously simple at times.
Whenever I listen to music, I pay attention to the musicality of it, not the technicality.

I still find "simple" classic rock solos or riffs are just as awesome as before I got into classical music.
It did a bit. Made me feel differently about what makes a song a song. Actually, it made me hate a ton of music I liked before, making me realize truly what badly composed songs are. It made me look at songs as a whole and how they work as more than just different sections.
Quote by The Madcap
I don't think you're accusing me of being elitist or anything, but just so people don't get the wrong idea about me, I still love simple music as well, and my favorite genre is IDM electronic music, which is often ridiculously simple at times.

No, yeah, I wasn't accusing you of being elitist. But there is definitely an association between classical aficionados and elitism, for good reason honestly.

To relate personally, yeah all of my own "compositions" are fingerstyle and for acoustic guitar, but they're simple as SHIT.
It certainly has not lowered my opinion on other music. But composition has become a big part of my music now, i realized after i starting listening to 'classical' (really romantic and baroque for me) i'm being drawn to music that's interesting composition wise (not necessarily in the 'style' of 'classical' composers) instead of just blazing solos/awesome vocals etc. I still love pop/blues/rock/hard rock, and all the guitar stuff.
Aliadiere - sadly has more syllables than goals this season."
Setanta commentator during Newcastle-Middlesbrough. .
Last edited by the_wayward_one at Feb 12, 2012,
I listen to music because i enjoy it, not because I'm impressed by the performance.
Quote by rickyj
I listen to music because i enjoy it, not because I'm impressed by the performance.
Well yes, but there's much more to classical music than performance.
Quote by rickyj

You think I listen to and enjoy Koyunbaba because of its performance? The entire piece is practically from another dimension...
I wouldn't say it's lowered it. I just think it was a different time for music and it required much more time and effort, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's better than modern music at all. I'm not going to look down upon The Ramones because they aren't Stravinsky. Different types of music, it's why the Band VS Band threads are always pointless because usually the bands aren't comparable anyway even when they are in the broad "rock" genre, so when it's rock vs classical it's even less comparable.

EDIT: But listening to classical has affected my view on music and what I look for in music. I tend to enjoy and look out for modern compositions, which often makes me enjoy them more. I would argue that "Heroin" by Velvet Underground is up there with the greatest compositions in modern music.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Last edited by bradulator at Feb 12, 2012,
My opinion on music can't be changed by the difficulty or proficiency of the musicians playing. My ears simply send signals to my brain which tells me what it enjoys. Nothing can ever change that initial reaction or alter my opinion, except a change of personal interest over time. and whenever people suggest listening to a certain type of music because of that or claim they like it for those reasons it confuses me, because I don't see how one can convince themselves to like music based on that criteria.

With that being said I do like a lot of classical. My favourite piece would have to be this one by Handel, based on how passionate and incredible dynamics involved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSAd3NpDi6Q

On the other hand I love the third movement of Moonlight Sonata, which is extremely complex, but not for that reason. although it does amaze me. and not the ability to play it, but to write something with that level of complexity and have it still sound great. I really don't have that much respect for someone with say a degree in music, who could play a piece like this but without the ability to compose something that i would like. I see the performing as more as a skill that can be acquired by anyone through practice, while writing is talent, something intangible, which comes to some naturally and others never.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVZqAbbkdgw
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Feb 12, 2012,
Did listening and/or studying classical music make you lower your opinion of music you previously listened to? No.

If it didn't necessarily make you lower your opinion, how did it affect your opinion? It made me feel superior to everyone around me.
I think classical music really just broadened my taste. Learning an instrument had made me dislike musically boring music (to me, so any Wentz fans shut the trap) like Fall Out Boy, and classical music, by being so complex, allowed me to better enjoy the simplicity of a repeating riff, but by having such complexity lessened my love of overcomplicated pieces less poorly done.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Yes, it has lowered my opinion of just about every style of music, including jazz.

Classical music has made me consider a few aspects of music that are now so essential and integral when I would have never in a million years thought about before this realization. It's the way that composers establish logical relationships in the music and develop their music in a way that is not arbitrary that differentiates classical from other forms of music. It helped me realize that complexity is not in the numbers of techniques used, it's in the thoroughness of integration.

Now whenever I listen to any other music, I can't help but think "Why did they choose to do that here? There is no basis for that decision" or "How are they taking this common practice and doing it in a new way?" It's a heavy cognitive dissonance when I realize that most of this music fall short of being able to satisfy these kinds of questions, and makes it less fulfilling and lowers my enjoyment of them.

I still think that all styles of music have a legitimate place in this world. And I still appreciate their distinct aesthetic identities. But usually I just don't have the enthusiasm to listen to them.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by bradulator
I would argue that "Heroin" by Velvet Underground is up there with the greatest compositions in modern music.

+1

My dad played me that when I was about 5, I still remember how absolutely astonished I was by the sound of the guitar and Lou Reeds voice. Never felt anything like that since.
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
I feel like classical music is kind of like fancy French cooking or something, because there's a greater effort to arrange everything in such specific and non-arbitrary ways, but that doesn't mean it's actually any better. In the same way that some crazy 9 course something or other at some fancy expensive restaurant might be cool and all, I'd prefer a homemade cheeseburger or something.

And classical music is the same way. While I can appreciate the thought that went into whatever motif a composer might use, it's like, why should I really care? It doesn't really make the piece sound better. What I like when I listen to Wagner or Stravinsky or Bach or whoever is that the melodies sound really damn cool.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I'm not sure if it necessarily did. At the time I began properly getting into classical music I was bored of the music I was listening to, was wondering why one bit came after another bit, and didn't know there was an answer more satisfying than "because the composer says so". And since getting into classical music I've gotten into a lot of much more well-written non-classical music that I wouldn't have listened to before.

EDIT: I should point out that I'm not implying that I'm not enormously ignorant by posting ITT
Last edited by whalepudding at Feb 12, 2012,
Compositionally speaking there's no other music that comes remotely close to Classical music. I still enjoy hearing a lot of music from other genres from simply a melodic standpoint or the technical aspect of playing a given song or piece, but Classical really does stand above the rest in terms of developing themes, melodies, counterpoint, playing with different timbres and such. It's amazing.
i liked and played classical before i got into rock and metal, so i dunno what to tell you
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?