Planning on getting my first serious guitar and not sure what would be the minimum to spend on it. Guitar I had before was an Epiphone Junior so now I actually need a good guitar of better quality. Been planning on getting an HSS Strat and saw a used MIM at a Guitar Center for about $300 but seemed a little too cheap so I wasn't sure. What would be a good amount of money to spend for a good HSS Strat?
to be honest if you shop around the minimum is very flexible. Personally i feel that getting into the mid range guitar starts at around the $500-$600 area but again that is a generalization. Any guitar above $500 should have good pickups and hardware and feel/play really nice. As always the sky is the limit spending on a guitar but $500ish should break you out of the entry level. Again, this opinion differs greatly from person to person and what one person considers mid range will be junk to another. this is just my opinion.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
used mim strat for 300 seems reasonable and wouldnt be too bad new they run about 500 or so

but it depends on your budget and what you want out of your guitar
MIM Strats do tend to lose a lot of their value in the second hand market, so it's no surprise to find a Fender MIM Standard Strat that seems ''cheap''. $300 is pretty standard for a second hand one that's a few years old. Just check that it's not been bashed in or missing any parts.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
There's no minimum on what to spend on guitars, especially strats. I've played American Strats that I didn't like as much as my MIM.
As long as it an upgrade from your current guitar it's worth getting. If you can afford something better than the strat then wait a while, to be honest with you, I find only the really expensive Strats to be the Really nice ones, but then I'm not that much of a fan to spend that amount of money on one.
Carvin Bolt kit. Made in USA, high quality and perfect fit. Of course you have to finish it but true oil or poly wipe the neck and the body and you'll have a killer guitar.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by zenbone
to be honest if you shop around the minimum is very flexible. Personally i feel that getting into the mid range guitar starts at around the $500-$600 area but again that is a generalization. Any guitar above $500 should have good pickups and hardware and feel/play really nice. As always the sky is the limit spending on a guitar but $500ish should break you out of the entry level. Again, this opinion differs greatly from person to person and what one person considers mid range will be junk to another. this is just my opinion.

In response to this, I saw this elsewhere, and I may have added some slight tweaks to it, but I think this is a pretty accurate price table:

$0-249 - Entry level (Ibanez Gio, Squire Affinity, Starter pack guitars)
$250-499 - Low End (LTD 50/200, Squire Classic Vibe)
$500-699 - Mid Range (MIM Fender, LTD 300/400, PRS SE, Epi Standard)
$700-999 - Upper Mid End (LTD Deluxe, Schecter Helraiser/Blackjack)
$1000-$2499 - High End (Ibanez Prestige, Gibson Studio/Standard, ESP Standard, MIA Fender)
$2500+ - Upper High End (Gibson Custom, ESP Original, PRS)

Sorry for the lack of brands/diversity, my brain isn't fully in gear yet
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
In response to this, I saw this elsewhere, and I may have added some slight tweaks to it, but I think this is a pretty accurate price table:

$700-999 - Upper Mid End (LTD Deluxe, Schecter Hellraiser/Blackjack)
$1000-$2499 - High End (Ibanez Prestige, Gibson Studio/Standard, ESP Standard, MIA Fender)

Sounds about right. I might move PRS SE up to the upper mid range though, those things are quite nice guitars.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Offworld92

$250-499 - Low End (LTD 50/200, Squire Classic Vibe, Ibanez 3xx)
$700-999 - Upper Mid End (LTD Deluxe, Schecter Helraiser/Blackjack, upper tier PRS Se's, Ibanez Premiums)
$2500+ - Upper High End (Gibson Custom, ESP Original, PRS, Ibanez J-Custom)

Added a few. Usually find something to disagree w/ on these, but this is pretty spot on.
I totally forgot about J-Customs.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

$700-999 - Upper Mid End (LTD Deluxe, Schecter Helraiser/Blackjack)

great post, there is a lot of deals to be had if you wheel and deal but this is dead on from my perspective. I usually try to squeeze as much as i can out of my money so often i find the barely used guitar and slice a few bucks off where i can.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Oh totally. I basically refuse to buy new. Both guitars in my sig are $600 guitars new, I got the H for $320 and the MH for $150. Buying new is just dumb, unless you're in a place where there is no used market, which is always unfortunate.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Look through the used guitars on guitar center online I saw some really interesting guitars for sale. I just bought a mid 90's jackson preformer that i'm sure will kick the shit out of something being made today. (On the lower - mid end).

Also check out www.rondomusic.com
Quote by uncle_sprinter
Look through the used guitars on guitar center online I saw some really interesting guitars for sale. I just bought a mid 90's jackson preformer that i'm sure will kick the shit out of something being made today. (On the lower - mid end).

Also check out www.rondomusic.com

yeah rondo usually give great guitar for the money .

Agile 3000 series is a wonderful guitar for 425 $ .. 599 $ if you want the neck thru agile 3200 .

if you take the chart post before .. i think agile are great guitar for the money cause the 599 $ agile 3200 and 425 $ AGILE 3000 IMO can easily be class in Upper mid-range ( 700 + guitar ) .

they play wonderfully .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim