Page 1 of 4
Surely there has to be some other Australian Football fanatics on a board of this size.
Who has the premiership this year?
Quote by devourke
More like GayFL.

Ahh, you little trickster! I see what you did! You took the pronunciation of the letter "A" and replaced it with "gay" as they sound similar, resulting in a mocking remark for the world's greatest sport. Look at you go, you little champion!
Quote by AussiePage
That's an odd way to write 'Roos' :s ?

How about: "Carn' the unsuccessful, financially unsustainable team held afloat only by boatloads of money from the AFL"

Closer?
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Fact is nobody has ever proven smoking to cause cancer.
Ba dum tsh!

I think it'll be a Hawks vs Pies Grand Final this year, hopefully the Hawks would win, although they should've won the prelim last year too!
Hopefully the Demons can stop being poo and make the 8, so I can stop crying myself to sleep after every game of theirs.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
Quote by devourke
More like GayFL.

QFT. I will say Australian football is not as gay as the Americans.

"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Quote by KTFM
Carn the Crows!

Quote by AussiePage
That's an odd way to write 'Roos' :s ?

fun fact: I went to high school with Levi Greenwood
I really don't know who to pick this year, as most of the most successful teams of late are starting to age a little. I'm hoping for Essendon, but I think it'll be another 2-3 years before our youngsters develop properly and we stop being anything more than the wild card team that will beat the top of the ladder team one week and lose to the bottom the following haha.
Or if Kurt Tippett didn't take up half your salary cap, and underperform every year, you might be able to solidify your whole team.
Last edited by Dory77 at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by devourke
More like GayFL.

Probably the most truthful first post I've ever seen
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Dory77
Or if Kurt Tippett didn't take up half your salary cap, and underperform every year, you might be able to solidify your whole team.

True dat. Pity Gunston took off... he would've been useful to have up forward for when Tippett inevitably underperforms...
Maybe Taylor Walker will get off his arse and start playing good more consistently. If only he and Tippett weren't so inconsistent your forward line would look a lot better.
Quote by devourke
More like GayFL.

Came to post this.

It really needs to be renamed MFL though...wouldn't want our foreign friends to think that all of us watch that...thing...
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
i have a feeling hawks will get it this year

collingwood is the only team that matters though
Quote by breadstick
Came to post this.

It really needs to be renamed MFL though...wouldn't want our foreign friends to think that all of us watch that...thing...

That better not be for Melbourne
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by breadstick
Came to post this.

same here. **** that shit.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Quote by Diamond Dave

fun fact: I went to high school with Levi Greenwood

Oh wow! That.. other guy from North Melbourne
Cale Morton $1001 odds for Brownlow! Gotta get on that!
Quote by Dory77
Cale Morton $1001 odds for Brownlow! Gotta get on that!

A $0 bet on Lindsay Thomas brings in $8056, still no takers
Question: How does this differ from American NFL Football? Because I'm a big fan of that, and I'd love something to occupy myself while the NFL season is over. My other option is arena football, so lay what you have on me.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
This is now devourkes thread.

Edit: I'm also interested in the differences between this and American Football as well.
Last edited by GoxGetterxGuy at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by devourke

Just toppled over laughing at this gif.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
Quote by necrosis1193
Question: How does this differ from American NFL Football? Because I'm a big fan of that, and I'd love something to occupy myself while the NFL season is over. My other option is arena football, so lay what you have on me.

100% completely different sport.
This and American Football are pretty much nothing alike. They both have a draft and washed-up musicians perform at their respective grand finals but those are the only similarities I can think of at the moment.
The rules aren't really similar at all.
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by GoxGetterxGuy
This is now devourkes thread.

Edit: I'm also interested in the differences between this and American Football as well.

you can't even ask that, its like saying what are the differences between Baseball and Cricket (which is an analogy you probably won't get anyway lol)

this guy sums up how the game should be played IMO http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVmSyE-yr18

EDIT: basic rules so it makes more sense, if you mark (ie catch) the ball off a kick you basically get to stop and take another kick in your own time and to score you kick the ball through the middle posts for a goal worth 6 points and if you miss to either side its one point.
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Feb 12, 2012,
Nah, I understand how cricket is played and would never even compare it to baseball.

So the AFL is just rugby?

Edit: Nevermind, that video helped.
Last edited by GoxGetterxGuy at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by KTFM
For a bit of video of the game (even though you probably won't understand what's going on, because it's a completely new game to you) watch this

awesome vid

the main thing to point out to Americans taking an interest I think is that while it does look like a big cluster **** compared to your neat rows at the start of every play there is a lot more depth than meets the eye.

I remember an American exchange student I was mates with complaining that there was "no strategy, they just kick the ball in the air and someone runs under it..." which is completely wrong. There's plenty of strategy, its just far less predetermined and far more dynamic which is what makes it interesting.
Quote by GoxGetterxGuy
Nah, I understand how cricket is played and would never even compare it to baseball.

So the AFL is just rugby?

Edit: Nevermind, that video helped.

yeah, rugby is still like one line vs the other. AFL is probably more comparable to soccer except the goals are different, you can pick the ball up and you can tackle properly.
Page 1 of 4