Hey, I've been wearing earplugs in rehearsal but not sure whether it is advisable in live performances. Any advice? What do other people do?
If they're good quality plugs that don't cut out any frequencies, but still drop the volume then go for it
But I'd highly recommend getting some like that, here in the UK (Don't know if you're american or wherever) you can pick up some off the internet for like £20, which essentially save your hearing. Not using them at all is risky.
On a similar note, at a new band I joined I play drums and wear ear plugs as I always do. Nobody else does though. I refuse to not wear ear plugs because I need to protect my hearing, but these guys apparently don't care and I don't know what they think of me doing it. If they simply don't have ear plugs should I have to buy some for everybody?
Quote by Tmusician
On a similar note, at a new band I joined I play drums and wear ear plugs as I always do. Nobody else does though. I refuse to not wear ear plugs because I need to protect my hearing, but these guys apparently don't care and I don't know what they think of me doing it. If they simply don't have ear plugs should I have to buy some for everybody?

Lol don't be silly man.
It's their hearing, their problem. In my band at the moment, only me and the bassist wear ear plugs, the drummer and the guitarist/singer don't, and have no intent to.
I am 100% they don't care whether you wear your earplugs or not.
It does cut out some of the treble and I think I perceive myself to be singing louder than I am when wearing them. But yeah if others agree then I'll probably keep them in
I say keep them in. I didn't wear them at one show in november and my ears rung for 6 days. They ring occasionally but I'd hate to have that permanently. I wore ear plugs at my gig, I could hear everything just fine, no ringing at all afterwards. The need you feel to talk louder is not bad, compared to damaging your hearing.

I was the only wearing them other than our drummer who only wore them for half the set.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
During gigs is actually the only time I don't wear them, I just can't hear myself and others through the monitors that well. I wear them during practice and even before a gig if there's another band playing before us. I just can't practically do it during a gig, I have to have open ears to feel comfortable.
Been wearing hearing protection for the last 34 years. My current set of earplugs are -24 dB flat across all frequencies. I also carry a Galaxy Audio CM-130 SPL Meter with me to make sure that the levels are less that 110 dBA on a slow measure and also check that it never peaks at 140 dBC on a Max level check.

I check these levels and wear my hearing protection whether I am on stage or (more often) working as the sound guy. The limits I go by are actually covered by local regulations under noise levels in the workplace which also requires me to have a hearing test every 12 months.

I also wear my hearing protection at most concerts and sporting events I go to. I have been accused of being excessive but I am above average hearing for someone of my age according to my latest hearing test which is pretty good considering some of the environments I have worked in.

Edit: Just to note, if the sound is actually continuous at 110 dBA around me, if you aren't wearing hearing protection, your max exposure before permanent damage is less than 2 minutes.
Last edited by Quintex at Feb 13, 2012,
at gigs wear one. on the side that your drummer is on. seriously. the reason for this is that the drums are the parts of the band that is going to screw with you big time. in one ear it cuts most of it out, and works and a inear foldback if you are singing. (put a finger in your ear and talk if you dont believe me)
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Definitely! You don't wanna damage your hearing, and if you're playing any decent sized venue, the volume will definitely be a risk if you're exposed to that kind of sound frequently. People might look at you like you're weird or "soft", but you can laugh at them when they all say "WHAAA?" everytime you speak.