Hey Guys, about to go on the road with my new band and feel I need a guitar use which suits the sound of the band more than the guitars i already own. My ideas are to either change the pickups in my Telecaster to a SD lil' 59 in the bridge and a 490R in the neck, or just sell it and by a new guitar. I understand its going to be quite allot of hassle changing the pu's especially having to create the humbucker cavity but I'm quite attached to the guitar and would prefer to keep it. What would you do?
I wouldn't touch the neck pickup of a Tele, cause to me, it's what really brings that original Tele neck pickup sound, you don't get that from a Les Paul. However, I'd recommend you to sell your Tele if it's not a high-end or mid high-end one.

You can roll crap in glitter, but it doesn't make it much better.
Same applies for guitars. You can upgrade and enhance a $200 guitar all you want, but make sure first that you couldn't get a better guitar with all that money you're spending on upgrading. After all, you don't really get better tone woods for that guitar you would upgrade.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Thanks Sakke! It's not a bad guitar, it's 2009 Fender baja tele. It sounds, plays and feels great and has ideal durability to be gigged. The only thing is, it has single coil pickups which I don't want as I have other guitars which provide that sort of sound and i would prefer something more powerful and less bright. I was just wondering whether its worth the hassle of changing the pickups or just changing the guitar for something like a blacktop tele or jaguar.
Get a tele bridge HB then you dont have to mod anything. SD make all kinds of single coil size HB's. I have a tele with the SD JBjr I had modified for a tele (they only mak it as a strat style pickup) and I think it is a great sounding guitar, kinda like a bright LP.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dannycatser
Thanks Robbgnarly! Yeah, I like the idea putting an SD lil' 59 in the bridge, I played a tele which had one and it sounded very Les Paulish. I want to put in a full size neck humbucker, it worked for Keith right? http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b237/open-g/75B.jpg

I can understand that, the Tele I am refering to is an old Squier protone that actualy had a single in the bridge and a full size Hb in the neck. I like the modded JB jr I have in the bridge because it is hotter than the lil 59 but not as hot as the hotrails, more middle of the road!
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Why not just get the 59 and 5-2 stack or quarter pound?

No need to change routing
Quote by Dannycatser
Just took the pickguard off...

ah damn. still, at least there's a pickguard to cover up a potentially shitty routing job... or you could just get a single sized humbucker, or 'fat' single coil like a quarter pounder, as the guy above me suggested. i would always lean towards keeping the guitar if it has sentimental value.
Thanks for your replies guys, really appreciate it! If push comes to shove i guess i could just use a singe coil sized humbucker in the neck as well but there's just a certain quality that a full size humbucker gives you that's not quite the same as the a single coil sized in my opinion. I could be talking total bullshit but I must be right to a certain extent, lots of tele's come with neck humbuckers as stock haha.