Hi, I've always wanted to be able to sing well but I've always had a problem with it... I know I'm not tone deaf because I do a lot of ear training with my guitar and I know that my voice isn't all that bad, I do a lot of singing for my college band... I can also scream/growl because I'm into metal. However I just can't sing in tune all the time or in certain keys, would vocal lessons improve this is should I just stick to guitar?
Singing arpeggios will improve your ability to stay in key DRASTICALLY.

Ex: 1 3 5 6 5 3 1
Ex: Do Mi Sol La Sol Mi Do

This would be like a Cmaj6: C E G A G E C

Sing those up and down in different patterns. Learn solfege.

Practice modulating keys with the arpeggios or doing diminished arpeggios.

--------------

It's easiest to do with a piano but if you only have a guitar tune it properly and just figure out the notes or lookup the arpeggios and sing along with them. Slowly. Make sure you get the notes right or it doesn't help.

------
Long Scale Arpeggio: 1 3 5 8 7 5 4 2 1
Long Scale Arpeggio: Do Mi Sol Do Ti Sol Fa Re Do
Cmaj LS: C E G C B G F D C
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Last edited by Ghast at Feb 12, 2012,
If you're having problems stay in key, yup. Practice diatonic chord patterns.

Start with C major and just go up the notes in the scale and their respective chords (Ex Major, minor, minor, major, etc).

If you have trouble with minor start with A minor.

-----

Gotta go but I'll check back later. Do it every day for like 10 mins.
Quote by Venice King
Quote by JNBloomy
However I just can't sing in tune all the time or in certain keys, would vocal lessons improve this is should I just stick to guitar?

Yes. Lessons will help.

There are lots of little things you do which can affect your ability to stay on pitch. Poor breathing technique, poor mouth position, extra throat tension you name it.

Singing arpeggios may help, sure. But if the problem is in your singing technique, then you really need to work with an instructor.
Yes, anyone can learn to sing if they have proper instruction.

Here is my story:
http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=30

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by HotspurJr
Yes. Lessons will help.

There are lots of little things you do which can affect your ability to stay on pitch. Poor breathing technique, poor mouth position, extra throat tension you name it.

Singing arpeggios may help, sure. But if the problem is in your singing technique, then you really need to work with an instructor.

I'd say being unable to stay at a pitch could be poor breathing but being unable to sing in key is far different (Unless it's really that you can't sing a pitch anywhere in the key and it always comes out flat, in which case the poor pitch is the problem).

Either way, you definitely want to have the breathing down as well. It's also essential.
Quote by Venice King
Quote by Ghast
If you're having problems stay in key, yup. Practice diatonic chord patterns.

Start with C major and just go up the notes in the scale and their respective chords (Ex Major, minor, minor, major, etc).

If you have trouble with minor start with A minor.

-----

Gotta go but I'll check back later. Do it every day for like 10 mins.

hey dude, im having similar problems as the OP, so i figure ill just ask you here.
i cant sing in key/pitch very well. im also not great at staying AT a pitch(worse in high notes), probably due to poor breathing like you said. ive been trying to use my diaphram, but i still run out of breath kinda easily, and i have trouble taking breaths smoothly while singing

i usually practice going from c3 to c4 (single notes, solfege) with my guitar.
i'll start practicing arpeggios. im not sure what you mean by diatonic patterns
i'll also try doing the chords in the keys. is this what you mean=(I ii iii IV V vi vii* I)?
anything else i can practice? chromatic? minor scales?
whatabout for breathing, so i can stay at a pitch better?
also, i find after practicing for 15 minutes, im better at staying in key. but when i pick up the guitar the next day, its like starting all over. is this normal?

i know this is a lot dude, but you seem to know your stuff
By diatonic patterns I mean just stay in one key; you have the right idea with the chords. If you want to practice staying in key it doesn't make sense to practice random combinations of out of key notes and chords.

If you want to practice minor scales, chromatic scales, go for it. Adding technique can only help you.

It could take a while for you to get better, just keep with it man.

----------

For the breathing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMnwh-mlj60

Start with the first exercise. The idea is that you want to keep the ssss as constant as possible for the longest period of time. You'll have to play with your diaphragm in order to prevent it from wobbling towards the end or going off the pitch.

I can find some other good ones
Quote by Venice King
Quote by Ghast
By diatonic patterns I mean just stay in one key; you have the right idea with the chords. If you want to practice staying in key it doesn't make sense to practice random combinations of out of key notes and chords.

If you want to practice minor scales, chromatic scales, go for it. Adding technique can only help you.

It could take a while for you to get better, just keep with it man.

----------

For the breathing....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMnwh-mlj60

Start with the first exercise. The idea is that you want to keep the ssss as constant as possible for the longest period of time. You'll have to play with your diaphragm in order to prevent it from wobbling towards the end or going off the pitch.

I can find some other good ones

thanks so much man...i think progress is really slow but def. happening.