Do different brands have different size necks? Eventually, I have my heart set on a Les Paul when I am good enough to play it, mostly because I love the rich sound it can make. I have some cheap knock off starcaster looking thing now.
I seem to have fat fingers and I was curious if some necks are wider with more room between strings with diferent brands?

Not sure if this is the right forum though, sorry if it isn't.
yes diff guitars of diff makers will have diff neck shapes and scale lengths. Gibson LPs tend tobe ether the slim 60's profile or fat 50's profile. But all Gibsons are gonna be 24.75" scale unless you happen across a rare baritone model.

Now guitars like the LTD EC, ect. are only LP in shape, but thae very diff feal than a typical Gibson.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I had a starcaster which I hated the feel of because the neck on it felt quite thin, then I got a LP custom and the neck on it is a bit fatter and feels much nicer to play, the best way to decided on the guitar you want is go to a music shop and try out a few guitars and see which you like the feel of the most
All brands have different profiles for their necks. Which would entail the thickness of the neck itself and the cross-sectional shape of the neck. Different neck finishes make a big difference too. Poly finishes tend to get sticky, satin is smooth and a slightly played in nitro finish is very smooth.

I think what you're trying to say is the distance between the strings themselves, no? If thats the case, i know that Jacksons have a wider nut width, which causes the strings to be further apart from each other. But Jackson doesn't really do LP style guitars. In which case, have a look at LTD.

Generally guitars that are designed more for shred tend to have a slightly greater nut width. They also have thinner necks along with flatter, wider fingerboards. So LTD might be the brand to look at.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 12, 2012,
Would it be fair to say I am not too worried about looks, but I find that the sound from a Les Paul is what I really like. Though I do love the look of them too.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is LTD? I am pretty new to guitars and am thinking long term but want to gleen information from you good people. Thank you.

Yes, the guitar I have now it seems the strings are very close. I can barely fit all fingers for A chord it is so cramped, switching from any chord to A is a pain because its so close and touchy.
Or is this normal?

Thanks again everyone. You all have been helpful.
Quote by Killsocket
Would it be fair to say I am not too worried about looks, but I find that the sound from a Les Paul is what I really like. Though I do love the look of them too.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is LTD? I am pretty new to guitars and am thinking long term but want to gleen information from you good people. Thank you.

Yes, the guitar I have now it seems the strings are very close. I can barely fit all fingers for A chord it is so cramped, switching from any chord to A is a pain because its so close and touchy.
Or is this normal?

Thanks again everyone. You all have been helpful.

If you want an LP sound, humbuckers along with a mahogany body and neck is what you want.

LTD is an affordable import line of a guitar manufacturer called ESP.
http://www.espguitars.com/home.html

Pretty much all of ESP's guitars are sort-of new takes on existing guitar designs, but they tend to be more aimed for younger players and tend to produce more modern tones. Not always the case, but usually. They have thinner necks, flatter and wider fingerboards and hotter pickups. ESP/LTD also do loads of signature models.

ESP is a very high-end brand of guitar, with all of them being made in Japan. LTD is a more affordable range, but not as good. But still good for your purposes. They're made in Indonesia up to the 300 series and the 400-1000 series are made in Korea.

The Indonesian guitars are meh, but the 400+ series are decent guitars.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by Killsocket
when I am good enough to play it

Oh god, get a Les Paul then, I don't even get the gist of the question. For the fat finger thing, get used to it. LTD is a sub-brand of ESP which makes quite a lot of different style guitars like Explorer, Les Paul, some superstrats etc. LTD makes them cheaper, think Squier as opposed to Fender or Epiphone as opposed to Gibson.
Quote by Tyson2011
when in doubt, adjust the truss rod.

Sfedf the First ...
or should it be the insane?
Quote by sfedf1
Oh god, get a Les Paul then, I don't even get the gist of the question. For the fat finger thing, get used to it. LTD is a sub-brand of ESP which makes quite a lot of different style guitars like Explorer, Les Paul, some superstrats etc. LTD makes them cheaper, think Squier as opposed to Fender or Epiphone as opposed to Gibson.

The question is about size of neck and how I like the LP sound. But if someone says they are narrow necks, I might reconsider after checking out guitar store. When I am good enough to play, I want to learn to play more before I can justify spending money on another guitar to the wifey lol.
Quote by Killsocket
The question is about size of neck and how I like the LP sound. But if someone says they are narrow necks, I might reconsider after checking out guitar store. When I am good enough to play, I want to learn to play more before I can justify spending money on another guitar to the wifey lol.

Thats not the right mentality. It doesn't matter how bad you think you are. You should always get the best you can afford. How good you think you are doesn't give you the 'right' to get something that's better.

Many people have told me that i'm a good player, but i still think i'm wank. Players almost never think they're good enough, so don't bother with this mentality that you need to 'earn' the 'right' to buy a nicer guitar.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Thats not the right mentality. It doesn't matter how bad you think you are. You should always get the best you can afford. How good you think you are doesn't give you the 'right' to get something that's better.

Many people have told me that i'm a good player, but i still think i'm wank. Players almost never think they're good enough, so don't bother with this mentality that you need to 'earn' the 'right' to buy a nicer guitar.

True. Maybe I am not stating it right. I don't feel ready for a newer guitar yet, but there will be a time when I want to upgrade, and being a noob, I was curious if necks are different sizes and what to look out for.
Quote by Killsocket
True. Maybe I am not stating it right. I don't feel ready for a newer guitar yet, but there will be a time when I want to upgrade, and being a noob, I was curious if necks are different sizes and what to look out for.

I wouldn't worry about being a 'noob'. Everyone has had to start somewhere.

If you don't feel ready for a new guitar, thats actually something you should hold on to. Because trust me, Once you start buying guitars, its like making love to a gorilla, you don't stop until the gorilla stops. In a few years you'll probably find a guitar in every single room of your house and in 10 years, you'll find 10 in every room.

I've only been playing for 4 years and i've got 7 guitars. You'll always be in gear acquisition mode once you get a couple of them.

Enjoy the lack of GAS whilst it lasts, bro.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
How is it that you like LP's but you have to ask if necks are different. Or is this just one of those 'wow its pretty and says Gibson must be awesome' things.
Quote by caraluzzo
How is it that you like LP's but you have to ask if necks are different. Or is this just one of those 'wow its pretty and says Gibson must be awesome' things.

What are you talking about?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
yes
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What you're talking about is nut width.

There's pretty much two different sizes: 42mm & 43mm.

Fender, Jackson & Ibanez are examples of 43mm. These have "wider" necks, and therefore more space in between each string.

Gibson & ESP have 42mm.

Just a few example out of a lot of brands, but those are the first that came to my mind.

Of course, nut width isn't the only factor in a neck. Really, the neck profile, finish, fretboard, fret size and nut width will all add up and culminate into a combination of features that you either like, or don't like.

That's why you should go out and try as many guitars as you possibly can, to try to pinpoint what aspects of a guitar you like and don't like. That makes looking for guitars a lot easier and really narrows down your search field.

Also fortunately, we live in a day and age where there are many, many alternatives. Just because you don't like the way a Gibson feels doesn't mean you can't have a Les Paul type guitar. You could get an ESP, or a PRS, with a different feel, a slightly different look, and both brands offer models at pretty much any price point.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by Offworld92
What you're talking about is nut width.

There's pretty much two different sizes: 42mm & 43mm.

Fender, Jackson & Ibanez are examples of 43mm. These have "wider" necks, and therefore more space in between each string.

Gibson & ESP have 42mm.

Just a few example out of a lot of brands, but those are the first that came to my mind.

Not quite. Really, there's three common sizes: 1 5/8" (41mm), 42mm (~1.65") and 1 11/16" (43mm).

Gibson, Ibanez, and Jackson often use the 1 11/16" / 43mm width, as does Fender. Fender also uses the 1 5/8" width on certain guitars.

42mm is mostly used by ESP, as far as I remember.

There are guitars out there with wider nut widths - acoustics often have 1 3/4" or wider nuts and 7 strings often have around 1 7/8" wide nuts.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I didn't include 41mm cause I've never seen a guitar with 41mm. Which guitars do?

I had a feeling Fender used both, but wasn't sure. I could have sworn that Gibson used 42mm though.

Oh well
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
anything specced as 1 5/8" is ~41mm
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?