So I bought a Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster recently. Everything is fine except the action is a little bit too high for my liking.

I'd like to attempt lowering the action myself but I couldn't find a guide anywhere on the internet about this specific bridge and I've never done it before. I would never dare to attempt it without some tips from someone who can do this figuratively speaking with eyes closed.

So can I just loosen the bridge with the right tool and lower it, or is it not that simple?

I thought I'd include a picture of the guitar so you can clearly see what I'm dealing with.
fret at first fret and last fret of low E string, what is the distance of string to fretboard at 12th fret?
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by benedicto16
beautiful guitar

Thanks! It was a great investment.

Quote by omidmash
fret at first fret and last fret of low E string, what is the distance of string to fretboard at 12th fret?

The distance at the first fret is 3 millimeter and 6 millimeter at the 12th fret.
The Blacktop Jazzmaster shares a bridge style with the Jaguar.

http://www.jag-stang.com/guitars/jaguar/setting-up-your-jaguar/

The relevant part is about halfway through the article. You adjust each saddle individually with a 1/2 mm hex key.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by omidmash

that's how you check the neck relief which is related to action to a certain extent, but not necessarily what the TS needs to do.

the purpose of the two screws on each saddle is to match the height of each string to the curve of the fretboard. if all strings seem the same height off the fretboard, i'd advise that you leave these where they are and use the two adjustment points at either end of the bridge itself.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
the purpose of the two screws on each saddle is to match the height of each string to the curve of the fretboard. if all strings seem the same height off the fretboard, i'd advise that you leave these where they are and use the two adjustment points at either end of the bridge itself.

So if I use a screwdriver to unwind these two adjustment points, how will the bridge come loose? Could you or someone else give any details on that?
doesnt this have a TOM style? or as they say adjusto-matic bridge?

and not adjustable saddles?

if that's the case TS you would want to turn the thumbwheel,
or lower the bridge at one of the 2 posts holding it on there.

i would need to see a close up of the bridge to know...

edit:
so closer to this?

or this?

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by jj1565
doesnt this have a TOM style? or as they say adjusto-matic bridge?

No, while the Classic Player Jazzmaster and Jaguar, and the Modern Player and Blacktop Jaguar's have Adjust-o-matic bridges, the Blacktop Jazzmaster has a vintage style bridge.

Like this:
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
No, while the Classic Player Jazzmaster and Jaguar, and the Modern Player and Blacktop Jaguar's have Adjust-o-matic bridges, the Blacktop Jazzmaster has a vintage style bridge.

Like this:

ahh ok, thought i read blacktop jag....

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by kangaxxter

Like this:

those screws aren't there for adjusting the action (although they can be used to do it), they are for setting the radius of the saddle height to match the fretboard radius. the two outer screws at either end of the bridge plate allow you to adjust the action higher or lower without messing up the radius.

i know on strats and teles you have to adjust them all individually, but if you can raise and lower the whole bridge it and the radius matches it doesn't make sense to adjust each saddle.
Rig Winter 2017:

Alright, so I can use the two screws on the ends of the bridge to adjust the height, but how is this done?

Will the bridge rise when I loosen the screws and vice versa? I find it really hard to imagine how it's done.
Quote by Nollemaster
Alright, so I can use the two screws on the ends of the bridge to adjust the height, but how is this done?

Will the bridge rise when I loosen the screws and vice versa? I find it really hard to imagine how it's done.

yes, i think that's correct, unless i've remembered it wrong. you should be able to see if it's raising or lowering the bridge, anyway.

i know the jazzmaster bridge design is very odd, and it's kinda difficult to explain without a picture:

you see those two black screws pointing out of the bottom of the bridge? they rest against the base of the two thimble-like pieces of metal that the bridge is inserted into. when you turn the screws, you adjust how far they stick out of the end of the bridge posts, raising and lowering the bridge.
Rig Winter 2017:

Quote by Blompcube
you see those two black screws pointing out of the bottom of the bridge? they rest against the base of the two thimble-like pieces of metal that the bridge is inserted into. when you turn the screws, you adjust how far they stick out of the end of the bridge posts, raising and lowering the bridge.

Thanks! I found the 0.5mm hex key that came with the guitar and I'm going to try to lower the bridge. Do you recommend that I turn the hex key the same amount of degrees on both sides of the bridge to keep it leveled the right way?
not to interrupt here, but you're going to want to
match the turns if possible.

turn small amount on one side
check for improvement. turn the
other side if needed. check for improvement.

then repeat as needed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Thanks everyone! I lowered the bridge without any difficulties.

I have another question though. Can I adjust the height of the pickups the same way as I adjusted the bridge, by tightening or loosening all the screws?
Quote by Nollemaster
Thanks everyone! I lowered the bridge without any difficulties.

I have another question though. Can I adjust the height of the pickups the same way as I adjusted the bridge, by tightening or loosening all the screws?

i know this isnt your type of pup.
but i want to convey that some screws are for adjustment,
others mount the pup in the guitar.

and where there's a pickguard, the screws double as adjustments ,
and mounting screws. so going too loose would allow the pup
to drop into the cavity. and you would need to remove the guard
to retrieve them.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a230/jj1565/epihumbucker.jpg

Adjusting pickup Height
=Blue lines in pic.
small turns, don't dont want to unscrew the screw from the pup.

too high and you might get a muddy tone.
too low and you might get volume loss.
just right for extra bite. yes, the pup can be tilted closer to thick strings for more bass, closer to treble side for more treble. some poles, with screw heads are adjustable for tone "fine tuning". dont go lower than flush to the pup.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62