How hot are alnico pickups compared to ceramic? Like if it a humbucker with 10 DC resistance with an alnico magnet how much would the DC resistance change if the same humbucker had a ceramic magnet?
]
Quote by falcon1439
How hot are alnico pickups compared to ceramic? Like if it a humbucker with 10 DC resistance with an alnico magnet how much would the DC resistance change if the same humbucker had a ceramic magnet?

Resistance has nothing to do with magnet type, swapping the magnet will not affect resistance and vice versa.

Generally you see Ceramic magnets in high DCR pickups because they are more powerful (leading to greater output) and brighter (to counteract the muddiness of lots of windings.) But there are no rules..

FWIW DCR is not a useful measurement for a pickup, it doesn't tell you much unless you know the type of wire used and the bobbin shape. It can be useful for comparing PAF types that tend to be constructed similarly as the number of windings is generally the only real difference between PAFs.. (assuming same magnets/screws/studs etc. etc.)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
I didn't know the technical term for more output. So the ceramic magnet will make it hotter?
]
^ yeah. if everything else is equal.

generally ceramic are hotter, but as lewis says that's more down to the design of the pickup than anything else. While, everything else being equal, a ceramic magnet has more power, you can have a low output ceramic pickup and a high output alnico
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if you have one pickup and you switch between alinco and ceramic...

you're not going to see much of a difference in output.

the ceramic will be brighter though.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Does it make a big difference?

Edit: read my mind
]
Last edited by falcon1439 at Feb 12, 2012,
The dc resistance is a measure of how many turns of wire are on the bobbin. Well ..... it's directly proportional anyway.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
What kind of output do you need for stuff like five finger death punch and metallica?
]
Either a lot 300 mV and up, or just a high gain amp. Honestly, I would get a pickup with a voicing and response that I like over one that has a particular output. You can always buy a boost pedal or turn up the gain on the amp for more distortion....
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
Quote by Quinlan
Either a lot 300 mV and up, or just a high gain amp. Honestly, I would get a pickup with a voicing and response that I like over one that has a particular output. You can always buy a boost pedal or turn up the gain on the amp for more distortion....

I've got a rockfield Mafia and I've been thinking of upgrading to a hotter pickup. I'm confused about the mV thing.
]
i haven't tried the mafia, but it's a high output ceramic pickup. they replaced the super distortion on the gunslinger retro with them when they cheaped out... i mean... yeah cheaped out. I'm guessing it's a similar style of pickup.

honestly if it doesn't have enough output the pickup isn't the problem. look elsewhere (i.e. amp).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have to admit the rockfield mafia ain't half bad. I like the loss of the super distortion
]
Quote by falcon1439
What kind of output do you need for stuff like five finger death punch and metallica?

12k plus I would say. Just get EMG's and you'll nail those tones easily.

Ceramic, brighter, tighter, more lifeless(better for metal)

Alcino, warmer, thicker, more lifelike sounding(better for rock)
^ he already has a mafia which, if the specs are to be believed, is...

10.96K?

o_O

that can't be right, surely? Unless it uses some weird wire gauge or something.

but i mean the general consensus was that bc rich was cheaping out by fitting the mafia. As i said, i haven't tried it, it might be fine, but i strongly suspect the super distortion is better (or at least, more sought after).

i quite liked it when i had the SD for a little while.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ he already has a mafia which, if the specs are to be believed, is...

10.96K?

o_O

that can't be right, surely? Unless it uses some weird wire gauge or something.

but i mean the general consensus was that bc rich was cheaping out by fitting the mafia. As i said, i haven't tried it, it might be fine, but i strongly suspect the super distortion is better (or at least, more sought after).

i quite liked it when i had the SD for a little while.

Five finger death punches rhythm guitarist uses mafias and his tones great
]
well if he's able to get his tone using that pickup, you should be too. what else is he using that you aren't? what's your amp?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by falcon1439
Five finger death punches rhythm guitarist uses mafias and his tones great

Medium output pickups can sound great though a great amp you know.

My Bareknuckle Trilogy Suites are 12.5 k for a single coil, and they honestly don't sound that hot.