Hey,

I've played guitar for about 5 years, but with only about an hour of practice a week on average, so although I'm very competent with rhythm playing I guess I could say I've been a very casual player. I've never been in a band until now so I think it's about time I try to improve.
Has anyone got a good starting place or advice for some tricky metal solo stuff? My band cover Enter Sandman for example but we have two guitarists so I've never needed to learn the solo. Would you say this was a good place to start?

Thanks for any advice offered,
if you cant yet and havent soloed much before, start somewhere easier and melodic like nirvana or if thats just too easy something from boston like more than a feeling. easy solos based off the melody will help you be able tot rack yourself as you solo and also hopefully make you more melodic when you later attempt it
good solos to start out with are slower solos, like nothing else matters solo, the intro solo from 'fade to black' and the intro solo from 'one'
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Quote by henrihell
good solos to start out with are slower solos, like nothing else matters solo, the intro solo from 'fade to black' and the intro solo from 'one'

I find the intro solo to fade to black harder than 80% of the ending solo, but that's cause I sweep pick the "more or less fast" part. Not that I have any trouble with that song at all
Thank you guys for the suggestions.
I've done stuff like the Dani California by RHCP solo and the first two solos from I Believe In A Thing Called Love by The Darkness but there aren't many fast hammer ons and pull offs in them. The Metallica suggestions sound good, I'll try them out this evening.
Don't be a noob. Learn like the pros, just take a great solo, slow it down, and learn it by ear.

Dazed and Confused! Do it!