I got this Fender HM in 1997 and the previous owner left the string balls on at the tuner pegs. So I’ve always done it like this with each string change but I think most people follow instructions and cut ‘em off. The only disadvantage I see is a long string pull through the nut when changing strings. This is the only guitar I have with a trem - the main reason I’ve kept it so long. Any other disadvantages to keeping the balls?
Attachments:
HM Strat7.jpg
HM Strat3.JPG
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
The smart thing to do is to string up with the balls going through the tuning pegs themselves.

But sometimes setting trems up is a rather masochistic business and i do get the need to cut through my balls
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Long as you string it correctly shouldnt be any diff.
My edge pro accepts the ball end into the bridge so they stay on, my others do not and are cut very close to tuning heads. I also trim 1inch off the end of the string (not ball end). I dunno why, just do.
balls heh
Quote by darkstar2466
You will get large cacti inserted into your anus for the heinous crime of piracy.

Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I wanna go down on you Jesus, I wanna feel your salvation all over my face

My signature lacks content.
It is, however, blue.
So long as you do it properly it doesn't make any difference, balls or no balls. I cut them off.
i have a trem where you have to leave the balls on because it has pegs similar to an acoustic, the just screw down into the socket, they apply no pressure on the string itself and it stays in tune like a dream, I haven't tuned it in a month and its still in tune, my FR where you have to cut the balls off on the other hand, needs a tuning every time you pick it up
I've done it both ways. I prefer to neuter mine, but a friend like his balls on his head. The problem I find with leaving them at the head is that often the thinner strings want to pop the wire loose out of the twist when wrapping around the peg.
Quote by Viban
My FR where you have to cut the balls off on the other hand, needs a tuning every time you pick it up

Sounds like your FR is in serious need of a setup. My Jackson licensed unit can stay in perfect tune for months.
I may have exaggerated a bit, maybe once every couple days or so depending on how rough I am on it
Ok thanks for the input. I thought perhaps I was being anal about balls and nuts. Then (DUH!) I read the sticky above on FR setup which suggests retaining the balls so you don't poke yourself.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
anal...balls, nuts
Okay lol, can't you feed the non-ball end into the saddle?
I lol'd hard reading all this. I find it easier to do what t00deepblue suggested why add an extra step into a sometimes lengthy procedure, I guess it's all down to which floating trem you own and preference.
Wow that's an interesting guitar. I got a jackson preformer coming in the mail and when I string it i'm gonna have about an inch of string sticking off my machine heads with the ball ends. Just a nice personal touch which is something I try to do with all of my guitars in different ways.
Every time my friends play my guitars and abuse the trems, I feel like cutting their balls off.

I also don't like when my nuts shift out of place from the uneven string tension. Never have had a problem with the G string, though.

Okay, I'll stop.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Every time my friends play my guitars and abuse the trems, I feel like cutting their balls off.

I also don't like when my nuts shift out of place from the uneven string tension. Never have had a problem with the G string, though.

Okay, I'll stop.

Tis better to walk up to a lady, and pollitely say.

"Ma'am, I broke the g string on my guitar. May I borrow one of yours?"
Quote by uncle_sprinter
Tis better to walk up to a lady, and pollitely say.

"Ma'am, I broke the g string on my guitar. May I borrow one of yours?"
I bet it would have a lot of bottom end. I'd take it anyway.
For my locking bridge, the ball-ends are unnecessary and are just weak. I cut them off so they don't pop off. I also use heavy gauges on my lowest strings, so they're tapered at the end... and putting them on backwards just doesn't work.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221