Hey guys. Lots of people told me that to become a better composer, I should analyze music.

Now, can anyone go a bit into detail? Do I find a piece I like (whether it's rock, metal, classical), learn it by ear (obviously), and tab it on a piece of paper. Then, I'd write the notes above, figure out in which key it is (and if keys change), and figure out which intervals in the scale are used? Did I get it right?

Can someone give me a brief example (maybe write a few-note riff in a certain scale and tell me what I could conclude from it)?

Cheers!
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

The chords of a song will be far more help to you than the notes in a riff. Chords and your ear.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
If your analysing some earlier pieces of classical music, another thing is look how dissonance is used. Dissonance was considered to be "forbidden" and It would be really interesting to see when and how composers used it in expressing the music. Especially the Tritone
Yeah, but the thing is that in most of the stuff I listen chords = power chords. :/

EDIT: And I'll see a bit more into dissonance. Cheers!
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Last edited by Smaratelj at Feb 12, 2012,
Yup.
Try to also analize the chord progression, like - its a I-IV-V in the key of B major, just like the song I learnt two years ago... etc.
Good old Pete. Isn't he too old to masturbate? - Pete Townshend
Don't mind your make-up, you better make your mind up. - Frank Zappa
Quote by Tvrtko1
Yup.
Try to also analize the chord progression, like - its a I-IV-V in the key of B major, just like the song I learnt two years ago... etc.

Ok, hvala!

Also, will this (as well as looking at what notes are played over the chords and intervals between them) help me write better melodies?
Quote by YouTube user

Quote by Smaratelj
Yeah, but the thing is that in most of the stuff I listen chords = power chords. :/

So what? :/
Soundcloud
Wait, did you basically mean analyzing the chords as the chord progression, or?
Quote by YouTube user

I wouldn't choose a rock song if I were you, they tend to be quite harmonically static in comparison to classical pieces, and thus realllly boring to analyse. I'd start with some Bach chorales, then move on to classical period chamber music, then eventually symphonic movements. Lieder are quite fun to analyse as well.
Go to www.imslp.org and download some scores, try and work out what's going on in terms of chord progressions and modulations, repeated melodies and motifs, and how this all fits together structurally. Read up on classical forms (especially sonata form), there are probably some good guides on analysis if you google, but the best way to learn really is just to get stuck in. Last year I had no idea what I was doing, but now I've done it a few times it's almost second nature.
Quote by Smaratelj

Are there other chords in a song?
Soundcloud
Quote by Smaratelj

Yes.
That way, you can use some tricks you personally like doing in all songs with the same progression, eg. a lick you like using over a turnaround in a blues song, some cool double-stops or ways of bending etc.
And it will make it easier for you to write your own songs because, once you decide on the key, you already know which chords to use to get a specific sound.
Good old Pete. Isn't he too old to masturbate? - Pete Townshend
Don't mind your make-up, you better make your mind up. - Frank Zappa
Okay, cheers guys, I'll pay to attention to all of these! And I'll check that website korina, thanks.
Quote by YouTube user

I see! More than 159 thousand scores, and it's even got a Croatian version. I need to show this to my sister, she plays piano and always struggles to find scores. Cheers!
Quote by YouTube user

The analyze some of the early works of classical music, another thing is to look at how to use the offset. The disorder is considered to be "prohibited" when and how the composer used it in music, it will be very interesting. Particular the Trevi Fountain.
I am in the same boat. Ive been trying to analyze rock songs I like and see what it is about them that I like. One of the things I do is import the song into Pro Tools (you can use any DAW) and mark the verses/chorus/bridge etc. Then I make the chord progressions plus play along to it on try to cover it track by track. I end up spending hours on a song and seeing it layed out like that helps me visualize the patterns that make the song. Im a visual type person so its helped me connect the music to a form in my head that I could better comprehend.
I am getting better and progressions and written a couple songs that I would officially call a song now. Before it was just bad crap.
Writing singable memorable chorus melodies is something Im struggling with though.

korinaflyingv - checking out that link. thanks!
Last edited by sweepinblues at Feb 16, 2012,
Thanks for all extra replies guys! I'll check all you said!
Quote by YouTube user