Page 1 of 2
Not too long ago i never put any stock into stuff like nut width, scale length, stuff like that. Now that i have a few different guitars, ive found that no matter what i try, or how i try, i just cannot feel comfortable playing anything besides 24.75" scale lengths. I have this one guitar that is fantastic in everything it does, but i will never play it as well as my other guitars because it's 25.5" scale length throws me right off. I cant alt pick as well or accurately, fretting feels weird in places, and thought it sounds great and introduced me to ebony fretboards, i want to sell it. Great guitar, but unfortunately i just cant do 25.5".

Do any of you have the same problem where certain scale lengths just dont feel right? It's a bummer, but now i know to avoid 25.5" scales (a shame since many brilliant instruments use it).
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
yh i'm the opposite to you, first guitar was a strat, second was an ibanez RG, and since then 24.75 feels cramped, strings feel too loose, and tone isn't stringy sounding. Again that's a shame, tons of great models use the Gibson scale length, and playing my mate's SG or epiphone dot is a major pain. But I suppose even though we are both missing out in some ways, being limited stops you going nuts when buying guitars
yea I prefer 25.5. I even like the baritone scale lengths (26+) but when I get on 24 scale length my bends sound awful, and I over compensate for everything.
TS, you're not alone.

I don't like longer scale guitars. I prefer my 24.75 scale Gibson LP Studio. I had an Ibanez RG before that. Somehow I just feel far more comfortable with the shorter scale. I need beefier strings yeah, but I was kind of used to that too. I want to feel something pushing against me when I do bends and vibratos.

Also, just to add, I also prefer tune-o-matic bridges and 22 frets. I don't really have use for the 2 higher frets and I feel that it somehow changes the sound? Don't know, would have to have a 24 fret Gibson LP and then mine to compare..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Feb 12, 2012,
This is why I always ask for preferences when people make "What guitar" threads. Some people don't mind. Some people mind a lot.

I'm a 25.5" guy. 24.75" doesn't bother me too much as long as I'm not playing anything very intensive, but it's not very comfortable. I don't like longer scales though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i use an ibanez rg and strat style guitars for the most part so im used to the lnger scale but i also like thicker strings like 11s on my ibby and 12s on solid bridges...i wonder how thick the strings on a gibson scale guitar i own would be
ive honestly never found a left handed shorter scale guitar so im not sure how i feel about it i can only assume my bends would be out of tune and my hands would feel cramped on there
Quote by supersac
i use an ibanez rg and strat style guitars for the most part so im used to the lnger scale but i also like thicker strings like 11s on my ibby and 12s on solid bridges...i wonder how thick the strings on a gibson scale guitar i own would be
ive honestly never found a left handed shorter scale guitar so im not sure how i feel about it i can only assume my bends would be out of tune and my hands would feel cramped on there

Your presumptions are wrong, most likely. It depends a lot on settings.. and the player a bit, too. However, I know a lot of those. There are Epi LPs left handed, Gibson LPs too, for example.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by Sakke
TS, you're not alone.

I don't like longer scale guitars. I prefer my 24.75 scale Gibson LP Studio. I had an Ibanez RG before that. Somehow I just feel far more comfortable with the shorter scale. I need beefier strings yeah, but I was kind of used to that too. I want to feel something pushing against me when I do bends and vibratos.

Also, just to add, I also prefer tune-o-matic bridges and 22 frets. I don't really have use for the 2 higher frets and I feel that it somehow changes the sound? Don't know, would have to have a 24 fret Gibson LP and then mine to compare..

Yeah. My first guitar was a cheap strat with a 24.75 length, and it felt so much better to play than this 25.5 i have even though it sounded like loose butthole. Through buying guitars, ive realized that i love ebony fretboards, i love set necks, i feel more comfortable with 22 frets as opposed to 24 although i like the extra 12 notes, i hate tremolo bridges and prefer tuneomatics with string-thru-body, and the "chunkiness" of the neck doesnt bother me much although i like the D profile necks the best. When i started playing, none of that made any sense to me or made me care at all, but now, having played many guitars, ive realized i have a pretty specific taste as to playability.

It makes me think id be much better off paying for a custom made guitar that i can have for a very very long time.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Not really, I guess I'm lucky, I can use 24.75, 25, 25.5 and I do regularly. I use a G-400 and a LP with the 24.75 my PRS is 25 and I have 2 teles with 25.5.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Sakke
Your presumptions are wrong, most likely. It depends a lot on settings.. and the player a bit, too. However, I know a lot of those. There are Epi LPs left handed, Gibson LPs too, for example.

haha probably my bends are never out of tune but like i said ive never seen a left handed lp or sg in person the music stores aroeund here are horrible at stocking left handed guitars only fenders squires and maybe an ibanez if im lucky

but ill see the day if i ever find a lefty one
I only care about scale because of tuning, I wouldn't tune a 24.75" any lower than like, C# to be honest, I know you can, but then the strings get brutal.
I'd never tune lower than Bb standard on a 25.5", even on my 7 string 27" I don't go lower than Bb standard, only to F standard to mess around once with some meshuggah.

I don't really care about nut width though.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
String spacing kills me sometimes. Otherwise I could care less, although I love how warm the neck pups are in 24.75 setups.
Mmmm i've been confy with any type of length i have played so far but i have to say that...

24.75... That is the magic number xD
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
The bigger, the better.

But that's why I switched to playing bass most of the time, to be honest. Damned chubby fingers.
I play both. I find 25.5 more comfortable these days because I like the extra tension, but I have no problems playing my les paul. Neck thickness throws me off a little now. I never felt like my les paul neck was that thick until I got used to playing my strat (which also has a pretty thick neck, 1" at the nut and 12th fret). Now it feels positively huge.
I can't enjoy 24.75. 25.5 is comfortable, but 26.5 seems to be the perfect scale for me.
Every scale length ****s me over in some way. 24.75" is too small past the 8th fret; 25.5" is too long up to the 7th fret; 25" is better and worse than both and has weird string tension; 24" has the best tension for me but is too small everywhere.

I need to invent a new instrument, some kind of inverted-scale guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Gibson scale guitars feel a little small. All of my guitars are super strats and has the 25.5 scale, but I can play a les paul with out issue.
I dont find any issue with any sort of differing scale lengths.

I have had 24.75", 25", 25.5", 27" and 30" necks and not once was scale length a problem, I find I have a preference for 24.75 after playing a Gibson scale for neigh on 10 years, but after a few minutes, anything is pretty much comfortable for me.

The biggest issue I tend to have is with fret board radius, even neck shape doesnt bother me.

I must be lucky

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
i like 25.5 .. I just feel too awkward playing a 24.75 scale neck.. not comfortable at all
#1 2001 MII Jackson DK-2
#2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire
#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe
#4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson
#5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special
#6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
Quote by Acϵ♠
Not too long ago i never put any stock into stuff like nut width, scale length, stuff like that. Now that i have a few different guitars, ive found that no matter what i try, or how i try, i just cannot feel comfortable playing anything besides 24.75" scale lengths. I have this one guitar that is fantastic in everything it does, but i will never play it as well as my other guitars because it's 25.5" scale length throws me right off. I cant alt pick as well or accurately, fretting feels weird in places, and thought it sounds great and introduced me to ebony fretboards, i want to sell it. Great guitar, but unfortunately i just cant do 25.5".

Do any of you have the same problem where certain scale lengths just dont feel right? It's a bummer, but now i know to avoid 25.5" scales (a shame since many brilliant instruments use it).

If it wasn't an issue they wouldn't make guitars with different scale lengths, would they?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i don't really have a preference. my schecters got a 24.75 so thats what i'm used to but i can switch to my ibanez's 25.5 without difficulty. those 2 necks couldn't be anymore different from each other but after a lot of time on both the difference doesn't bother me.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
I'm actually not picky at all. as long as it feels comfortable to hold it, I can compensate everything to the scale length. I own a Schecter Omen 6 and Fender Strat (25.5"), and a PRS Singlecut (25"), and they are all easy for me to play. but then I will go to my friend's house, and he has 2 guitars with 24.75" scales and I can play those with no problem. I also recently started falling for the new Fender Blacktop Jaguar, which has a 24" scale, and THAT feels fun as hell to play. and then 7 and 8 strings with those extended ranges 26"+, I can get used to them as well.

tl;dr, I can basically play almost any scale length easily.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
with my small hands .. i feel more confortable on a 24.75 over a 25.5 now . i started on 25.5 ( my fender strat ) im starting to like my Agile ( les paul copy ) better than my strat .

i totally find my perfect match with the agile 3000/3200 . very Slim neck (17mm , think ibanez) , 24.7 scale lenght and ebony fretboard .

theres isnt a big difference between 25.5 and 24.7 .. you should check more on the thickness/taper of the neck . thats where the difference is IMO . i prefer a 25.5 stratocaster neck over a 24.75 Gibson les paul studio ( 50's rounded "baseball bat" neck ) .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
I have very thin fingers that feel a lot more comfortable on a 24" scale neck, but there aren't many 24" scale guitars that are actually anything like the kind of guitar i like, so for the most part i make do with 24.75" since it's not a huge difference when i can manage 25.5" fine too..
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I use 25" mostly. Just feels best. Thinking about when I get a full custom job made I might try out some 24" or maybe even less since I've got little girl hands.
24" for the win.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I've used 24.75" scales for years. So baritones feel strange.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I've used 24.75" scales for years. So baritones feel strange.

For the past three years I've played mostly 24" scales and baritones actually feel fine for me. 25.5" scales feel a little weird for me though.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I actually felt like I made a breakthrough a few weeks to a month after I switched from my 25.5" guitar to my newer 24.75" guitar.

I really like being able to reach up and down the neck more easily.
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
String spacing kills me sometimes. Otherwise I could care less, although I love how warm the neck pups are in 24.75 setups.

Everything this man says
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I like 25.5 generally, but scale length isn't a huge concern to me. Stuff like neck shape, fret size, and fretboard radius is a bigger deal to me.
I can play comfortably from 24.75" to 27", honestly. It's never been that huge of a thing for me. I'm used to 25.5" though.
7 STRING LEGION

Damned Icon - Invictus

Quote by SYLrules88
im not very good with that harmonic thing. i get them to match perfectly then i play a chord and it sounds like hellen keller singing

Music Man
PRS
Mesa Boogie
Scale length never bothered me or really influenced any decision. I pick a guitar to play based on the woods and pickups, not anything to do with neck thickness, frets, or scale.
i guess i am luck too. i can pick up any of my guitars and play perfectly fine. to be honest i don't even feel the difference is scale. the only thing that i am picky about on my guitars is on the back of the neck. if it is overly glossy i will steel wool it. other than that i can go from a 24.75" to 25.5" from 50's necks to an ibanez prestige wizard neck (the name for the neck, not a wizard model.

but i am unphased about just about anything.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I just found out that there is a difference to me. I just bought an ESP EC 1000 and noticed right away there was a difference. I actually like it better, it just fits me better. All of my previous guitars have been 25.5. It's funny in that as long as I have been playing I never paid attention to scale. Now I don't want to go back. It should be interesting to see if I can play in drop C with it.
I'm finding it really hard to play aggressive rhythm stuff on a standard scale now I have a 30in 7. Everything else feels flubby and unresponsive in comparison. I've had plenty of moves from scale to scale so I guess I don't mind now. I think you can adapt pretty well, but if you feel strongly that's up to you.
I'll have my ibby back then Dan.....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I like 25.5" better. I have fat fingers, it makes it easier for me on the upper frets.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Page 1 of 2