After breaking my hand a year ago, I have been stuck using 0.08 guage guitar strings, and can't build up the strength to move up to 9's or 10's.

Have you got any advice as to what I could do, as the sounds from these strings is soo thin!

Thanks
put a set of 9's on and your gonna have to build the dextarity of your hand back up slowly.

I know it sucks, but thats the only way. Have you tried one of thos hand strengtheners like a guitar store or sports store carries? That maybe a very good investment for you to make and they are pretty cheap.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Did you play 0.08 guage strings before you broke your hand as well?
Keep the 8's on the high strings and replace the low E,A & D with 9s for now
I cut the tip of my fretting middle finger off with a model plane propeller about 3 years ago. After healing, it never hurt so I didn't change string gauges. However, I played guitar less because it feels weird and totally numb. I can't articulate like I used to and I'm not as acurate. But I'm diving back into now and trying to think of ways to work through it.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
i'll second the above suggestion of a hand excerciser spring thingy. i have used one in the past to build up my fretting hand, does a good job.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Why bother?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Mars Rover
I cut the tip of my fretting middle finger off with a model plane propeller about 3 years ago. After healing, it never hurt so I didn't change string gauges. However, I played guitar less because it feels weird and totally numb. I can't articulate like I used to and I'm not as acurate. But I'm diving back into now and trying to think of ways to work through it.

Many, many years ago, i nearly did this.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by cola4369
After breaking my hand a year ago, I have been stuck using 0.08 guage guitar strings, and can't build up the strength to move up to 9's or 10's.

Have you got any advice as to what I could do, as the sounds from these strings is soo thin!

Thanks

planet waves varigrip.
How anyone can use 8s is beyond me. They feel like elastic to me.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by Vauxite
How anyone can use 8s is beyond me. They feel like elastic to me.
Billy Gibbons uses .07s. He uses 8s as his ''heavy gauage'' for open tuning and slide playing.

Anyhoo.

OP, turn the mids up on your amp. Bass too, if your guitar has quite a thin tone. Raise your pickups very slightly. If your amp has presence knob, roll that back by 10-15% of what it's at now. There, instant thicker tone and you can keep playing light strings.

Injury or otherwise, there is no reason to play strings heavier than you are naturally comfortable with. Playability should always, always come before tone, not that string gauge is the most important part of your tone anyway. Going up to .09s, okay. Put them on, give it a month or two and you'll have the strength back to play those properly. But if your hand has been screwed up so much you've had to go down to .08s then don't rush to get back up to .10s or beyond. It's just like any part of guitar practise; take things slow, don't proceed until you're 100% comfortable and never do anything which hinders your playing ability. Crap tone with good playing sounds a hell of a lot better than good tone and crap playing.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Put a set of 11’s on one of you guitars and use it to warm up with. A couple times a day just noodle around on it and play barre chord scales up and down the neck. After a month you’ll have built up a lot of finger strength.

They would like to have a word with you.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by Spud Spudly
Note to self: Handle model airplanes with right hand only

The last time i did, i was hand launching and almost did a Van Gogh.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The last time i did, i was hand launching and almost did a Van Gogh.

Yep. No fun at all. Fortunately, someone at the flying field always has a tube of CA (super glue). It was a hot day, I was bleeding, turning white and fading fast as two buddies super-glued my dangling fintertip back on. Shoulda gone to the doc for stitches - middle finger tip would probably look better. Right now, there's and indented scar around it and sort of a mushroom tip that kinda looks like a private part.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
Quote by Mars Rover
Yep. No fun at all. Fortunately, someone at the flying field always has a tube of CA (super glue). It was a hot day, I was bleeding, turning white and fading fast as two buddies super-glued my dangling fintertip back on. Shoulda gone to the doc for stitches - middle finger tip would probably look better. Right now, there's and indented scar around it and sort of a mushroom tip that kinda looks like a private part.

It could've been worse.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by Mars Rover
Right now, there's and indented scar around it and sort of a mushroom tip that kinda looks like a private part.

We didn't have to know that...........

So you glued the tip of your finger back on? And it stayed.....?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
So you glued the tip of your finger back on? And it stayed.....?

Of course it stayed on. Keep some CA in your medicine cabinet. It may come in handy. I showed the wound to a Doc sometime later who said that he could have possibly improved appearance a little, but I still would have lost all feeling. Said he sees the same type of damage all of time from kitchen knife accidents.

From wikipedia:
Some rock climbers use cyanoacrylate to repair damage to the skin on their fingertips. Similarly, stringed-instrument players can form protective finger caps (in addition to calluses) with cyanoacrylates.

Research has demonstrated the use of cyanoacrylate in wound closure as being safer and more functional than traditional suturing (stitches).The adhesive has demonstrated superior performance in the time required to close a wound, incidence of infection and final cosmetic appearance.
so you are saying i should superglue the tips of my fingers to build calluses?
Quote by Ashe_Mc
so you are saying i should superglue the tips of my fingers to build calluses?

Not to 'build' per se, but to repair and maintain if you are tearing them up, usually due to stupidly large string gauges...

But a coating of CA can also help if you need just a bit more fingertip rigidity.

Try not to glue them together...
Charles Darwin
Hahaha, someone will end up trying this and gluing his fingers to his guitar... :P
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
Hahaha, someone will end up trying this and gluing his fingers to his guitar... :P

I'm hoping...
Charles Darwin