Poll: Which strat would you get?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which strat would you get?
Squier Deluxe Stratocaster
2 2%
Squier Classic Vibe 60's Stratocaster
46 42%
MIM Fender Standard Stratocaster SSS
62 56%
Voters: 110.
Page 1 of 2
Hey All!

Thanks for the great advice last time! I am hoping to get some more advice now so please feel free to jump in...

I am looking for a Strat. I have narrowed it down to three. They are in the poll so please help me decide the better of the three.

I really like the Classic Vibe 60's Squier and upon looking and comparing it to the MIM Standard SSS Strat I can't see too many differences other then build location and the fact that the standard uses ceramic vs the Alnico V on the CV. What are the big differences in sound on the two pick ups?

Second what is the difference between the pick-ups and quality on the Squier Deluxe Strat compared to the CV. I see that the Deluxe uses Duncan Designed SC-101's. Are these better or worse then the standard Alnico 5's? Sorry about all the questions but I couldn't find it in a search.

Thanks again!
Classic vibes are cool, no point forking out extra for the MIM.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
I'd go with the Fender MIM, you'll be happy with it much longer than you'll be happy with a squier
Quote by ccannon1
I'd go with the Fender MIM, you'll be happy with it much longer than you'll be happy with a squier

This is what's wrong with UG.
Most of you are more worried about the name/logo in the equipment than with its sound.

TS, out of those three, i'd go with the Classic Vibe. They're really excellent.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I've played some shotty MIM's and some good ones but I have yet to find one that beats my Squier CV 50's in feel. But that's just me. Shop around, try them out.
I'd go with the classic vibe, the pickups are a bit warmer, and the feel is better, imo.
"When the power of love over comes the love of power the world will know peace."
~Jimi Hendrix
Having recently played both a MIM strat and a CV strat, the particular MIM strat I played felt better than the CV. However, as this may not always be the case, the best advice is if possible to try as many as you can and choose whatever feels best to you, whether it be CV or MIM.
Quote by Stugg334
Classic vibes are cool, no point forking out extra for the MIM.

Agreed, with the money difference you could do some upgrades (nut, pickups etc).
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Wow the poll is tied and has been tied nearly the whole way. So nobody really likes the Deluxe Strat I guess? I am really digging the colour options and the build of the CV. Very similar to the MIM strat bar the pick ups being ceramic. Someone above wrote that the CV pick ups are warmer then the MIM ceramic strats. Does anyone agree to this?
Quote by ibanart300
Wow the poll is tied and has been tied nearly the whole way. So nobody really likes the Deluxe Strat I guess? I am really digging the colour options and the build of the CV. Very similar to the MIM strat bar the pick ups being ceramic. Someone above wrote that the CV pick ups are warmer then the MIM ceramic strats. Does anyone agree to this?

All (modern)Squier pickups are crap, regardless of model. The MIM pickups will be better, but the quality of the neck wont be as good as the CV, they body..well, who cares, it's a Strat.
Ah okay cool yeah I thought the ceramics are higher output by default then Alnico's. The body is alder on the CV which is the same as most standard Fender strats. The other Squier's though from what I've seen use a variation in basswood and Indian red Ceder which I thought were a little on the lower quality side of things?
Quote by ethan_hanus
All (modern)Squier pickups are crap, regardless of model. The MIM pickups will be better, but the quality of the neck wont be as good as the CV, they body..well, who cares, it's a Strat.
Do you know what pickups come in the Squier Classic Vibe strats by any chance?

I'm guessing no, because they aren't crap and are FAR superior to what comes in the Fender MIM guitars. The ceramics in the MIM strat are shit. They suck.

The CV '50s strat comes with Tonerider surfaris and the CV '60s strat comes with Tonerider classic blues.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by al112987
Do you know what pickups come in the Squier Classic Vibe strats by any chance?

I'm guessing no, because they aren't crap.

The same crap that comes in every other Squier guitar ...Through a good amp, they honestly don't sound bad, but most other guitars will sound much better.
Quote by ethan_hanus
The same crap that comes in every other Squier guitar ...Through a good amp, they honestly don't sound bad, but most other guitars will sound much better.

The CV '50s strat comes with Tonerider surfaris and the CV '60s strat comes with Tonerider classic blues.

Toneriders are very well-regarded pickups by a lot of strat users and a lot of strat owners upgrade their Fenders with these because they sound very good and are well-priced.

Seeing that set of Tonerider single coils cost $100 a set, aftermarket, they are a big reason why the Classic Vibe guitars are such a hit with people who actually play strats.
Quote by al112987

Toneriders are very well-regarded pickups by a lot of strat users and a lot of strat owners upgrade their Fenders with these because they sound very good and are well-priced.

This is a stock Squier we are talking about, they always cheap out on electronics, so think more along the lines of...Tonerider designed pickups. Like the Duncan Designed pickups, still crap.
Quote by ethan_hanus
This is a stock Squier we are talking about, they always cheap out on electronics, so think more along the lines of...Tonerider designed pickups. Like the Duncan Designed pickups, still crap.

No... they're not... both are made in China in the same factory... the OEM pickups for Squier's classic vibe line are made by the same people that make Toneriders. Seymour Duncan contracts overseas factories to make pickups and then stamps "Duncan designed" on them while they have their own factories making pickups in the USA for two tiers of products. Completely different situations.

Stop spewing crap that you clearly know nothing about. Someone who is looking advice might actually take you seriously. This is a very old story, people have been talking about the Squier Classic Vibe/Tonerider pickup situation for, literally, years now on Strat-Talk and The Gear Page.

Why do you think people are so obsessed with the Classic Vibes? If the Classic Vibes did not sound good out of the box, experienced players would not buy them. No one buys a $350 Chinese made guitar just to stick a set of $300 Lollar single coils in them.
Thanks for clearing it all up al112987! I am seriously considering the CV it looks, sounds and plays great!
Quote by al112987

No... they're not... both are made in China in the same factory... the OEM pickups for Squier's classic vibe line are made by the same people that make Toneriders. Seymour Duncan contracts overseas factories to make pickups and then stamps "Duncan designed" on them while they have their own factories making pickups in the USA for two tiers of products. Completely different situations.

Stop spewing crap that you clearly know nothing about. Someone who is looking advice might actually take you seriously. This is a very old story, people have been talking about the Squier Classic Vibe/Tonerider pickup situation for, literally, years now on Strat-Talk and The Gear Page.

So you are telling me that if I go out and buy a Squier CV right now, take the pic guard off, and look at the pickups, it's going to be the same Tonerider pickups that the Tonerider website offers? Somehow I doubt that.

Either way, weather I'm right or wrong, the pickups will most likely end up getting replaced.

EDIT: Tom buys CVs just for the neck.
Quote by ethan_hanus
So you are telling me that if I go out and buy a Squier CV right now, take the pic guard off, and look at the pickups, it's going to be the same Tonerider pickups that the Tonerider website offers? Somehow I doubt that.

Either way, weather I'm right or wrong, the pickups will most likely end up getting replaced.

EDIT: Tom buys CVs just for the neck.
Yes. Strat users have known this for ages now. Just because you haven't heard about this doesn't make it untrue.

And as someone who actually plays strats and has used Tonerider pickups, they sound quite good and really do not need to be replaced unless one just wants something different sounding.
Quote by al112987
Yes. People have even metered them to compare to ones bought directly from Tonerider. Strat users have known this for ages now. Just because you haven't heard about this doesn't make it untrue.

I'm not saying it's not, I've owned a Squier for 6 years, and played quite a few others, and I just somehow doubt it.

The CV's I played sounded kinda blah, but it's hard to get ahold of them around here. Course, I play on Bareknuckle pickups, so it's no competition.
ethan_hanus - I take it you are into rock/metal if you are using Bareknuckle's. I am after the CV because it sounds like a good blues guitar unlike my Schecter Demon 6 and Ibanez ART300. I think I will get the CV and see how it goes if I feel the output doesn't meet my requirements I'll probably look at upgrading them. Thanks for the information guys!
Lol just checked the poll and it is still dead even 8-8. Lol poor Squier Deluxe ha ha.
The Classic Vibes are awesome. I've played the MIM and the CV side to side and chose the CV.
Yeah I am thinking more and more of getting the CV especially when it's nearly on par with the MIM. I have checked out heaps of reviews and they both come off pretty even from specs and price and etc but thought I would put a thread up to get some 'honest' opinions. I am going to a Fender road show next week so I will ask there reps and tech's what they think as well.
Take the advice of Fender's reps and techs with a grain of salt. Don't forget, they work for Fender so they do have a certain sales agenda. I'm not saying they will necessarily give you a biased opinion, but they are trying to push certain products. If they weren't, they wouldn't be at trade shows.

To be honest, I'm frankly amazed that the Classic Vibe line is still on the market. They're superior to just about any Fender under $800-$1000, imo, as far as playability, feel, fit and finish and sound and they're basically dirt cheap. Fender will still sell some of the more expensive models due to the Fender name on the headstock, but the Classic Vibes are legitimately great guitars if you can get past the name on the headstock.

If there was any guitar that I would buy right now, it would be a Classic Vibe telecaster given the price. They aren't on par, they're better. MIMs are not really a good value. I love strats and telecasters, but in my 12 years of playing guitar, I could never once legitimize buying a MIM standard whenever the opportunity arose.
Yeah I like the CV Tele's as well. Beautiful instruments hey! I completely agree the more I look at actual user experiences that owned both the MIM and the CV the more I see people preferring the CV's. The spec's are also a little better than the MIM. The only thing I don't like about the guitar is that it is made in China, but having said that so are HEAPS of other things that people tend to enjoy regardless of it being made in China. I think sometimes the brand name does create this fictional aura about a product sometimes that it's hard to see through. I am hoping that seeing as Fender own Squier they should have Squier products there.
The stigma of a Chinese-made guitar is a matter of cost cutting, or low quality. If a guitar is made well, then it doesn't really matter where it was made. The final fit and finish of the CVs are really pretty impressive, including the setup and fretwork. Fretwork is really important on a guitar as it is the main determinant of how you can set up your guitar. It's not really a matter of specs, because guitars aren't computers or cars. Specs come down to preference.

I would go read comparisons on Strat-Talk or The Gear Page. People there who make these types of comparisons, have generally owned both guitars.
Quote by al112987
Take the advice of Fender's reps and techs with a grain of salt. Don't forget, they work for Fender so they do have a certain sales agenda. I'm not saying they will necessarily give you a biased opinion, but they are trying to push certain products. If they weren't, they wouldn't be at trade shows.

To be honest, I'm frankly amazed that the Classic Vibe line is still on the market. They're superior to just about any Fender under $800-$1000, imo, as far as playability, feel, fit and finish and sound and they're basically dirt cheap. Fender will still sell some of the more expensive models due to the Fender name on the headstock, but the Classic Vibes are legitimately great guitars if you can get past the name on the headstock.

If there was any guitar that I would buy right now, it would be a Classic Vibe telecaster given the price. They aren't on par, they're better. MIMs are not really a good value. I love strats and telecasters, but in my 12 years of playing guitar, I could never once legitimize buying a MIM standard whenever the opportunity arose.

perhaps you need to play a few more MIMs. while some aren't that great others are fantastic guitars. the same can be said about the CVs. i've played several CVs and found them to be inconsistent (especially the 50s model) a couple were great guitars and a couple just plain sucked.

OP personally i think that you really need to try a few of each model and pick the one that you like the best. it's all down to personal preference. you also might want to look for a used Highway 1 model as another option.
I have the CV50s Tele and love it- although it's heavy as sin. Great sound and amazing feel to the neck though- arguably better than my MIM Custom 72 at less than half the price.
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
The MIM has ceramic bar pickups. It's a really cheap way of getting a bright tone, and doesn't really sound like a Strat single coil is meant to. They sound like a split humbucker, not like a proper single coil which has separate alnico magnet pole pieces.

The CV Strat's pickups do have separate alnico magnet pole pieces. It actually does sound how a proper Strat should.

In terms of wood, I used to think MIMs were superior to all Squiers, but having inspected some stripped down MIMs and some stripped Classic Vibe Squiers I will happily say that the Squiers have better wood and construction. With MIM Fenders you're getting a body made of between five and eleven pieces of wood. The CV Squier Telecaster that I've stripped? 3-piece body. Decently matched too, it was hard to tell if it was 3-piece or 2-piece.

Construction on the CVs is damn near as good as the MIM Fenders too.

In short, the CV Squier is the best pick there, period.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Thanks for the input guys I am definitely going to try them both again but the more I research and listening I do the more I like the CV. Thanks for the details on the ceramic bar pick ups that has helped a lot MrFlibble! I wish I had the money to get a CV and a Standard Fender Strat.
Quote by monwobobbo
perhaps you need to play a few more MIMs. while some aren't that great others are fantastic guitars. the same can be said about the CVs. i've played several CVs and found them to be inconsistent (especially the 50s model) a couple were great guitars and a couple just plain sucked.

OP personally i think that you really need to try a few of each model and pick the one that you like the best. it's all down to personal preference. you also might want to look for a used Highway 1 model as another option.
Completely disagree. I would normally digress to a difference of preference, experience and opinion, but of the countless number of MIM standard strats that I've played, and I do emphasis standard strat (not the mid level or higher level ones), I have never played one that I felt was worth it's price in playability or sound. I've owned (or not owned, but had in my possession for >a year) a MIM Fender '50s reissue telecaster before in the past and it was a tremendous guitar, so I'm not downplaying the quality of MIM Fenders as a whole. But the standard MIM strat has never been an instrument that has endeared itself to me. And of all the Classic Vibes that I have picked up over the years (must be >25 by now as it's my go-to guitar every time I want to try out an amp or pedal, etc. at a music store), not a single one has not given me serious GAS.
Quote by al112987
Completely disagree. I would normally digress to a difference of preference, experience and opinion, but of the countless number of MIM standard strats that I've played, and I do emphasis standard strat (not the mid level or higher level ones), I have never played one that I felt was worth it's price in playability or sound. I've owned (or not owned, but had in my possession for >a year) a MIM Fender '50s reissue telecaster before in the past and it was a tremendous guitar, so I'm not downplaying the quality of MIM Fenders as a whole. But the standard MIM strat has never been an instrument that has endeared itself to me. And of all the Classic Vibes that I have picked up over the years (must be >25 by now as it's my go-to guitar every time I want to try out an amp or pedal, etc. at a music store), not a single one has not given me serious GAS.

sorry but this is all about preference. perhaps you expect something different from your strats than i do mine. i have many MIMs over the years that played great and sounded good as well. the CV series is new so has no long term comparison. maybe my GC got a couple of turds and they are the exception but that is what i have to go by. i guess since you made a point of mentioning your experience i'll mention mine. i've been playing for over 30 years and have played strats from the 50s, 60s and 70s many times (owned a 70s) as well as played tons of more recent ones both foreign made a domestic. if the MIM strats don't do it for you that's fine to each his own.
pick the most playable, you can always change pickups, its more expensive if youve change the neck so chose one with better neck profile and feel. by the way, the purpose of these cheap guitars mainly is for practice, or learning a piece of music.
Is the G&L Tribute Legacy an option?
If so, IMHO, it just blows the ones you listed.
I can vote for CV's.. Ive never been impressed with the Standard MiM - you can feel and hear that they are the lowest quality fender. The CV's on the other hand all play nice. Ive got a CV tele 50's myself, and ive yet to try a standard MIM that plays or sounds better.

The same goes for the strats.
Current gear:
Fender Road Worn 60's Strat
Hohner SE35
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele
Yahama FG730S
Marshall Class 5
I have organised to try both of them out this weekend so I will post back what I find. I mean more people do prefer the MIM Strat according to the poll so I don't want to dismiss it just yet. Thanks for all the input though people!
The because it says fender, and nothing else.. You can't blame them, if i had not tried a CV i would've probably thought the fender was the best pick aswell.. Having tried it though, theres no doubt the Classic Vibes are superior in everyway!
Current gear:
Fender Road Worn 60's Strat
Hohner SE35
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele
Yahama FG730S
Marshall Class 5
Quote by Tobyflyr
The because it says fender, and nothing else.. You can't blame them, if i had not tried a CV i would've probably thought the fender was the best pick aswell.. Having tried it though, theres no doubt the Classic Vibes are superior in everyway!

could it be that some of us just prefer the MIM? personally i could care less what the headstock says it's all in the feel and sound. despite the fact that i have a top of the line fender strat my fav is made by Vineyard which is a small chinese company. they make excellent guitars that aren't mass produced and are affordable.
Page 1 of 2