So I just bought the Egnater Rebel 30 head and cab and the head has two extensions and a switch to set it to 16, 8, or 4 ohms.

The 112 cab has two inputs and between the two it says 16 ohms.

Help?

And there's a slight hum when I take it off standby. Is that normal?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Feb 12, 2012,
Unnecessary self bump.

I'm impatient and I wanna start playing!! Pwease help!?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Set the head to 16 ohms so the impedance matches the cab's. And run two cables to the cab from the head, thus the two inputs.
make sure to use speaker cables, not instrument cables, or you might blow the transformer.
Quote by xSOHx
Set the head to 16 ohms so the impedance matches the cab's. And run two cables to the cab from the head, thus the two inputs.

There was only one cable used at the store.......and they only gave me one......

And is some hum normal?
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Hum is normal, just signal running through the speakers. And I'd say just go buy another cable to use so nothing gets fried.
Quote by xSOHx

do not run two speaker cables from your amp to the cabinet...

did any of this equpment come with a Manual???

The cab is 16 ohms.. Set the Amp to 16 ohms and plug one cable into it...

The other input on the cab is so that the cabinet can be daisy chained to another cabinet. It's actually just a pass through connection... Daisychaning cabinets is a whole other impedence discussion...

Just use one cable... make sure it's a speaker cable and not a sheilded instrument cable... Any questions.. Google is your friend...

Found the manual Here
http://www.egnateramps.com/manuals/Rebel30Head.pdf

enjoy..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Last edited by Papabear505 at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by xSOHx

what the ****?

yeah don't do that

do you have a link to the egnater cab you bought? is it the 1x12?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

do you have a link to the egnater cab you bought? is it the 1x12?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/egnater-rebel-112x-1x12-guitar-extension-cabinet

The second pic shows the two jacks on the cab.

EDIT: Just saw Papa's post. Thanks.

And....is the hum normal?

EDIT: Just saw xSOHx's post. I really should stop scrolling the the bottom and reading only the last post
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Feb 12, 2012,
thanks

i'm guessing one of them is so you can connect to another cab. just it doesn't make clear which is which (unless it doesn't matter, i have no idea).

time to hit the manual or email them, i think. you want to be careful about connecting speakers to a valve amp, if you do something wrong and have the amp running without a proper load it can kill your output transformer.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
thanks

i'm guessing one of them is so you can connect to another cab. just it doesn't make clear which is which (unless it doesn't matter, i have no idea).

time to hit the manual or email them, i think. you want to be careful about connecting speakers to a valve amp, if you do something wrong and have the amp running without a proper load it can kill your output transformer.

The manual doesn't say anything. I'll email them. But I already played for 1+ hours on it so..........
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
run 1 speaker cable from one of the outs on the amplifier head into 1 of the inputs on the cabinet. make sure the amp is set to 16 ohm output.

do not use a standard patch cord to connect you cabinet and head, you want to use a 1/4" speaker cable.

the 'extra input' on the cabinet is for daisy chaining additional cabinets, not for additional input.

tube amps want a 'matched' impedance, so if the amp is set to 16 ohms, then it wants to see a 16 ohm cabinet. if the amp is set to 8 ohms, it wants to see an 8 ohm cabinet.

edit: btw guys, those 1/4" jacks on cabinets are almost always wired in parallel (unless otherwise noted). so doesn't matter which one you plug into.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by Dave_Mc
thanks

+1. I'm worried about the fact that you are talking about hum before you have this impedance issue sorted. If you don't connect your amp to your cab with the proper cable and impedance, you can actually kill your amp. Impedance is absolutely to not be taken lightly.

Sounds like you got lucky. But really, you should have taken the time to learn about this stuff before you jumped into it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^

Quote by gumbilicious

edit: btw guys, those 1/4" jacks on cabinets are almost always wired in parallel (unless otherwise noted). so doesn't matter which one you plug into.

ah ok thanks for the info. i thought something like that might be going on, but i obviously wasn't going to say something when i didn't know
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^we need 50 of you dave. no shit, we really do.

Quote by Offworld92
+1. I'm worried about the fact that you are talking about hum before you have this impedance issue sorted.

yeah, it can be pretty bad, you can melt an OT. that being said, many amp makers assume we are pretty dumb about techie things so they generally engineer some fudge room (occasional dummy loads, stringed diodes between OT and power tubes, stuff like that).

TS, i wouldn't worry to much about messing your amp up. i have played months on amps before realizing a speaker was dead... which means i was playing with 1 speaker getting ALL the wattage AND running a mismatched impedance!

i am not saying that you should be reckless and plug into whatever with no idea what you are doing. but guitar amps tend to be more forgiving with mismatches, so don't beat yourself up too bad. enjoy your amp.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by Offworld92

Sounds like you got lucky. But really, you should have taken the time to learn about this stuff before you jumped into it.

I understood it, it's just that I had no idea what the second jack on the cab was for. I knew that the cab takes 16 ohms but wasn't sure why there were two inputs.

I'll post a NAD thread soon.......or tomorrow.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by gumbilicious

yeah, it can be pretty bad, you can melt an OT. that being said, many amp makers assume we are pretty dumb about techie things so they generally engineer some fudge room (occasional dummy loads, stringed diodes between OT and power tubes, stuff like that).

TS, i wouldn't worry to much about messing your amp up. i have played months on amps before realizing a speaker was dead... which means i was playing with 1 speaker getting ALL the wattage AND running a mismatched impedance!

i am not saying that you should be reckless and plug into whatever with no idea what you are doing. but guitar amps tend to be more forgiving with mismatches, so don't beat yourself up too bad. enjoy your amp.

Yea.. We were all new at this once... Don't sweat it.... Read all you can and learn everything you can...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I'm not sure if the hum is normal now because it's there even if I plug my guitar out and it's much louder than the satisfying purring of a tube amp. And the hum on the clean channel is quite a bit louder than hum(purring) on the drive channel.

Should I take it back. GC is 45 mins away........
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
I'm not sure if the hum is normal now because it's there even if I plug my guitar out and it's much louder than the satisfying purring of a tube amp. And the hum on the clean channel is quite a bit louder than hum(purring) on the drive channel.

Should I take it back. GC is 45 mins away........

If the hum is louder than you think it should be with nothing plugged into the amp, then sure.. Take it back and see if they can at least make sure that it's ok... Is it still under warranty?
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I emailed Egnater and they said its a bad preamp tube. I'll take it back today.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by gumbilicious

aw

Normally I just +1 what you and the other tech badasses say
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by xSOHx

Take a look at this quote below. Notice how it differs from yours?

Quote by Dave_Mc
ah ok thanks for the info. i thought something like that might be going on, but i obviously wasn't going to say something when i didn't know

That's obvious? If only.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?