In a few days I'm going to be getting a SWR 6X10 speaker cabinet, which has the option of Speakon or 1/4th inputs. I need to get a new speaker cable anyway so I was wondering if I should buy one with a speakon connector or just a standard 1/4 connector. Would there be any sonic or any other kind of difference? the head only has 1/4th outs if that helps at all.
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
Quote by ethan_hanus
Well, you could hook the cab up to a PA system with Speakon connections if you want...but in all honesty, there is absolutely no advantage to speakon over 1/4th.

Incorrect.

The main advantage to Speakon is that they're more secure. You're far less likely to have problems with them coming lose over time. There's also a small risk of shorting things with using 1/4" jack connections on speakers, which is obviously eliminated. You won't actually hear a difference, it's simply a more practical connection. Most of this applies more to the amp than the speaker however, so it doesn't really make much difference either way, but I'd probably get speakon -> jack still.
Exactly. I'd a trust a speakon lead over a 1/4 jack any day.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
alright thanks all, might do a full New Rig Day when I get it.
Warwick Corvette
Besides what others have mentioned, there's also safety reasons for the use of speakon over 1/4. Since the metal area isn't exposed, you wont risk being shock. Another reason included the fact that it's mandatory by law in europe to use speakon.
I'll keep that in mind if I ever go to Europe. Would a 1/4 (amp) to Speakon (cabinet) achieve the same effect?
Warwick Corvette
Quote by Skeletomania
Besides what others have mentioned, there's also safety reasons for the use of speakon over 1/4. Since the metal area isn't exposed, you wont risk being shock. Another reason included the fact that it's mandatory by law in europe to use speakon.

Really? Any reason why I was allowed to buy both a Hartke LH500 head and an Ampeg PF210 cabinet from reputable stores when neither has a speakon port?

If it was illegal, new equipment with it in wouldn't be sold and any older equipment wouldn't pass safety tests.
Quote by Skeletomania

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acSh15Uw7Vo

Not for bass amps it ain't.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Not only are speakons safer and more secure but they make a more positive connection and carry more current and voltage.

You are not likely to hear a difference and both will work but at anything of 100W or over you are better off using a speakon. They are more expensive though.
Quote by RatzaChewy
Really? Any reason why I was allowed to buy both a Hartke LH500 head and an Ampeg PF210 cabinet from reputable stores when neither has a speakon port?

If it was illegal, new equipment with it in wouldn't be sold and any older equipment wouldn't pass safety tests.

It's not illegal, but a mandatory for newer gears to phase out 1/4 inch jack for speakon.