This is for my son. He's 14, been playing 4-5 yrs, pretty advanced for his age, very dedicated. He's putting every $ he has into this new guitar and I'm matching his funds for his birthday...
Warning: I don't know anything about guitars !

Budget? can go up to $1200 max

Favorite Artists? - Older Metallica, Pantera,Five Finger Death Punch, Avenged Sevenfold,

Preferences? - Currently playing an Epiphone SG. Wants a V shape body, mostly because he likes the looks. Mostly plays metal style.

Pickups? - He says he wants active pups. He really likes how his friend's Hellraiser C1 with EMG's sounds. Not sure what model EMGs on it.

New or Used? - He'd like a brand new one, he has a lot of used equpment, so wants that new car smell...

Location? - Central Florida, USA

Current Gear? - Epiphone SG, Dean VX, Hughs & Kettner WarpX head, Marshall 1960A cab.

He's a little scared off the FR since a friend had a Schecter that was a huge PITA to restring and the friend hated it. I think my son would like the tremolo but he wouldn't want to get into something that was a major headache to keep tuned, etc.

So what he's looking at now are (6 strings)
Shecter Hellraiser V1
Gibson Flying V
B.C. Rich Chuck Schuldiner Tribute

What about ESP's? Jacksons?

TIA!
floyds really arent that difficult to keep in tune...
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Don't look at the BC rich. Please don't.
Ok, now. If you want actives, i'd say go with some sort of ESP or higher end LTD, or get a Gibson Flying V and switch them with active EMGs. Their body is thick enough so you can chamber a battery hole in them. And no need to be scared of FRs, my first guitar had FR and it was a pain in the beginning, but my next guitar was a dream and I still love the tweakibility of the FR. You can always insert a tremol-no in a FR, but you can't insert a FR in another guitar (Not easily).
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
maybe an LTD v-401? or an ESP V-II, but i think its a little over $1200.
My Guitar Rig:
Peavey 6505+ Head
Peavey 6505 slant cab
MXR Smart Gate
MXR Noise Clamp
Ibanez ts-9 tubescreamer
Ibanez RGA72tqm with EMG 81/85

Other Guitar Gear:
Fender Vibro Champ
TTM Guitars Devastator
LTD EC-200
I picked up an American strat for $1000 when I was 15 (8 years ago) and still play it every day. Great guitar, still in great shape, and plays a wide range of musical styles. For your price range and for his level of dedication, it's one of a few gold standards.
You could get a Gibson flying V faded for that much and swap the pickups for EMG's like the other guy said, but i would seriously recommend trying before buying with that one.

You could go for a Jackson RR5 too.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Also, side note on the V shape... really cool look, and there are some very good V guitars available... BUT they are hard to rest on your lap when you're sitting down practicing.
Quote by fifopher
Also, side note on the V shape... really cool look, and there are some very good V guitars available... BUT they are hard to rest on your lap when you're sitting down practicing.

I don't get why people say this. Because i honestly have no problem with it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by rdmpe

What about ESP's? Jacksons?

TIA!

if he can get up to the genuine ESPs (i.e. not LTD) or the neck-thru Japanese Jacksons with your budget (I'm not American so I only have a vague idea of what pricing is like where you are), I'd say either of those would annihilate his friend's schecter.

heck even a jackson dkmgt (also japanese, but bolt-on neck, which isn't necessarily worse, but a lot of people get sniffy about bolt-ons for some reason) is pretty nice, and i'd take one over a schecter.

EDIT:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/jackson-slsmg-super-lightweight-soloist-electric-guitar

ESP is looking like a bit of a stretch- they're more like $1400-$1600 or so.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 12, 2012,
I can tell you know. DO NOT buy a guitar because of the shape. HE WILL eventually get sick of it. I recommend looking at the Ibanez S Prestige or the Ibanez RGD 2120z Prestige, as those are very nice guitars for around your price range.
Last edited by YesterdaysToday at Feb 12, 2012,
http://schecterguitars.com/Products/Guitar/Jeff-Loomis-JLV-6-FR.aspx

This is coming out sometime this year. It's got a floyd, but it's Schecter, a cool v shape, and has EMGs.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I don't get why people say this. Because i honestly have no problem with it.

Do you strap your guitar up pretty high?
Quote by YesterdaysToday
I can tell you know. DO NOT buy a guitar because of the shape. HE WILL eventually get sick of it. I recommend looking at any of the ESP LTD's, or maybe and Ibanez RGD 2120z Prestige, as that is a very nice guitar for around your price range.

I'd say be careful of the shape. but if he's tried the shape and likes it, there's no problem. I mean you can't say for sure he'll get sick of the shape. I mean I still like my V, mockingbird and star. granted they're a little more awkward than a superstrat, say.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by fifopher

He probably plays sitting in the classical position.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by YesterdaysToday
I can tell you know. DO NOT buy a guitar because of the shape. HE WILL eventually get sick of it.

People must be pretty sick of LP's and Strats then.

Quote by fifopher

Nope. I just play it like a classical guitar sitting down. and standing up isn't a problem either because V's are so nicely balanced.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'd say be careful of the shape. but if he's tried the shape and likes it, there's no problem. I mean you can't say for sure he'll get sick of the shape. I mean I still like my V, mockingbird and star. granted they're a little more awkward than a superstrat, say.

It's just that my prior experiences have been that when I search for guitars with a certain look in mind, I tend to cut corners on sound, and eventually wish I had never bought that style of guitar. :\

Ignore this ridiculous comment
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
oh yeah, sure, but that's a whole different thing entirely

if you buy an equivalent quality shape guitar, there's no real reason for any problems (as long as you get on with the shape, of course).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by YesterdaysToday
It's just that my prior experiences have been that when I search for guitars with a certain look in mind, I tend to cut corners on sound, and eventually wish I had never bought that style of guitar. :\

Maybe if it was a £100 BC Rich or a really hideously overpriced signature model, but aside from that, its simply not true in this day and age. You just have to choose what to buy carefully. I buy guitars that i'm committed to keep for a long time, so i make sure its what i want.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 12, 2012,
Go to the Sam Ash on Lee rd and ask for Matt. He is a good guy and will hook you up compared to the rest of the staff there.

The last time I went to House of Blues in Downtown Disney, the guitar shop there (GC I think) had lots of V's hangin on the wall.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh yeah, sure, but that's a whole different thing entirely

if you buy an equivalent quality shape guitar, there's no real reason for any problems (as long as you get on with the shape, of course).

The only problem I've found with that, is (around here that is) that differently shaped guitars are usually more expensive than a same quality strat shape. I.E. A 1990 Fender stratocaster say costs $750, around here a Jackson King V (pretty similar quality) would cost about an extra $250-500.
Quote by YesterdaysToday
The only problem I've found with that, is (around here that is) that differently shaped guitars are usually more expensive than a same quality strat shape. I.E. A 1990 Fender stratocaster say costs $750, around here a Jackson King V (pretty similar quality) would cost about an extra $250-500.

They have a Samash in Southern Antarctica?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Ignore this ridiculous comment

Any BC rich I played which was not a custom shop was terrible. You can buy MUCH better stuff with the same price. Go on disagreeing, I can't help people like this idiot.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
what
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by omidmash
Ok, now. If you want actives, i'd say go with some sort of ESP or higher end LTD, or get a Gibson Flying V and switch them with active EMGs. Their body is thick enough so you can chamber a battery hole in them. And no need to be scared of FRs, my first guitar had FR and it was a pain in the beginning, but my next guitar was a dream and I still love the tweakibility of the FR. You can always insert a tremol-no in a FR, but you can't insert a FR in another guitar (Not easily).

Actually, only the low-end BC Rich guitars suck.
Quote by YesterdaysToday
I definitely have to travel a few miles on my penguin powered sled but, yes. Yes they do.

Southern Antarctica
In this price range, there's nothing wrong with buying a guitar for its looks or color. Just like any other new, quality instrument, it can inspire the player. Consider the Gibson, a classic design that he may not get tired of - and may be easier to re-sell if it comes to that.
EBMM JP6, EBMM Bongo Bass 5-string, Heritage H140CM, ESP Tele Copy, ESP P-Bass Copy, ESP Maverick, Fender HM Strat, Ibanez ST-55, Epiphone Broadway, Taylor 310, Seagull S-12, Musicman Sixty-Five Reverb, Fender HRD, Ampeg B-25B
My vote is for the Stealth, one of my favorite guitars I've tried. And I'd stay away from Schecter, I personally find their tone to be severely lacking.
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
Quote by joey-only
My vote is for the Stealth, one of my favorite guitars I've tried. And I'd stay away from Schecter, I personally find their tone to be severely lacking.

I played a Hellraiser, and the tone wasn't lacking. Hell, later this year or early next, I'll maybe get an 8-string (they got the only 8-string with a Floyd Rose).
EDIT: TS: Take your son to a guitar store and have him play some of the guitars he wants. Here you want to reduce guitars based on feel and tone (beyond any UG recommendation). Have him bring his amp, pedals, etc...and a pick. This is so the only variable is the guitar. Make sure everything is set to his preference, etc...list goes on and on. Also, try and play one yourself lol. You may end up wanting to play IK long edit yet a needed one...
Last edited by N1K156 at Feb 13, 2012,
Quote by YesterdaysToday

oh yeah, sure
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh yeah, sure

LP's must be easier to make out of icebergs.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
hehe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
do not believe and of this anti B.C.Rich BS, I have a B.C.Rich tracer T and have never been more happy with a guitar. plus if you do get one, you'll have money left to put EMG's in it, but in terms of looks, this guitar is unbeatable for a metal head. and it sounds amazing for the price
+1 on the strat. That price range will get one hell of a guitar.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.