Hey UGers,

i was looking at getting into some home recording. Nothing too fancy, just two channels for a guitar and mic. maybe even mic my amp.
i was looking at three different possibilities and was hoping to get some input.
Tascam US-122mkII
E-Mu 0202 usb
Line6 UX1

My budget for this is going to be about $150. I was going to use Reaper DAW.

any input is greatly appreciated to help make my decision easier.
Q: What's worse than lobsters on your piano?
A: Crabs on your organ.
Quote by macgregger
Hey UGers,

i was looking at getting into some home recording. Nothing too fancy, just two channels for a guitar and mic. maybe even mic my amp.
i was looking at three different possibilities and was hoping to get some input.
Tascam US-122mkII
E-Mu 0202 usb
Line6 UX1

My budget for this is going to be about $150. I was going to use Reaper DAW.

any input is greatly appreciated to help make my decision easier.

Line 6 usually works best with their own software and hardware interfaces (sometimes the hardware doesn't work with anything but their software, i am not familiar with the UX1 though). so if you plan on using Line 6, make sure it's compatible with 3rd party software. it could be the right choice if you use other Line 6 products though.

for a $150 budget i'd look at this thing

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-audiobox-usb-2x2-usb-recording-system

their XMAX preamps will kinda kick the shit outta the preamps on the units you are looking at. presonus also has kickass A/D conversion on all the products i have of theirs. i don't know how presonus does it, but they rule recording products in their price range.

that presonus should outperform what you are looking at.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Feb 12, 2012,
Moved to correct forum.

Quote by gumbilicious
Line 6 usually works best with their own software and hardware interfaces (sometimes the hardware doesn't work with anything but their software, i am not familiar with the UX1 though). so if you plan on using Line 6, make sure it's compatible with 3rd party software. it could be the right choice if you use other Line 6 products though.

Huh?

Not sure what you're getting at here, but I've never once seen any recording hardware that only works with a certain software...?

The UX1 works just fine with other DAWs, amp sims, etc.

Quote by gumbilicious
for a $150 budget i'd look at this thing

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-audiobox-usb-2x2-usb-recording-system

their XMAX preamps will kinda kick the shit outta the preamps on the units you are looking at. presonus also has kickass A/D conversion on all the products i have of theirs. i don't know how presonus does it, but they rule recording products in their price range.

While I agree the preamps will be much better in this than anything else previously mentioned, Presonus hardly rules recording in this range. Focusrite puts out a much more stable interface, with arguably better mic preamps, for around the same price as anything Presonus makes.

Don't get me wrong, Presonus makes some great stuff, but I'd be weary of buying their gear; they have a similar reputation to Mackie, in that they have been known to completely drop a product and support for it, making them poor investments, if you plan on upgrading your recording computer to a new OS that may come out in the future.

For now, that Presonus unit is fine, but they have been known for their poor product support in the past.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
thanks for moving this to the correct forum.

i haven't read too many good reviews on the presonus. there was something about the preamp being too hot (hardware wise) and it would clip very easily. is this still happening or has there been some firmware updates?
^ i don't know about any problems with the preamps. do you have a link?

i actually found the XMAX preamps to have quite a bit of headroom.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Huh?

what?

i thought i was pretty straight forward with what i said. was i unclear, or are you just completely shocked at the stupidity of my response?

i was unsure of compaitbility with 3rd party software. i used an old tone port way back in the day (evidently that is the UX-1) and had issues using it with 3rd party software. just didn't work right. probably user error.

Quote by MatrixClaw
Not sure what you're getting at here, but I've never once seen any recording hardware that only works with a certain software...?

isn't that how proTools works? i may be wrong there, but i thought proTools hardware didn't work with any other software, and i thought Line 6 may be similar based on my problems.

Quote by MatrixClaw
The UX1 works just fine with other DAWs, amp sims, etc.

cool, someone who is on the map with Line 6. thx MC.

Quote by MatrixClaw
While I agree the preamps...For now, that Presonus unit is fine, but they have been known for their poor product support in the past.

really? i am not trying to argue, but all the hardware i have gotten from them has worked quite seamlessly. i have been using their stuff for ~5 years, logged over 100 hours of recording time on their hardware, and their hardware seems to work better with each version of OS-X i use (my firebox is even plug and play with the last 2 OS=X releases).

damn, i hope they don't drop support for my hardware. i was planning on using it for a real long time to come.

i will admit, i am a bit of a presonus fan boy and my 'king of the price range' comment was a bit too far (though i still think them as quite competitive in their price range regardless). MC has FAR more recording experience than i do, and he has MUCH more experience with various recording gear.

if focusrite puts out a competitive product, then it should be just as much on your radar as presonus.

but i will say i have been very happy with my presonus gear.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Feb 12, 2012,
Presonus has driver issues occasionally too and like MatrixClaw said if they drop your unit your ****ed and have to rely on third party information to fix.

The Line 6 interfaces aren't too bad. I am currently temporarily running a UX2 and I haven't had any problems. The problem with the UX1 is their is no phantom power. Which leaves you less versatility, say later you want to record vocals or use a condenser on an amp.

E-mu isn't any good

The Tascam is the only one I would even consider of the three you listed, mainly because it has phantom power. I am not saying its great (I've never tried one), but I'd say its better than the emu for sure.

If phantom power doesn't matter to you though the ux1 is a solid interface. I am not sure what the Focusrite Saffire 6 is going for right now ($175ish?), but I believe it is truly the best in that sub $200 and $200 price range.

Quote by gumbilicious

isn't that how proTools works? i may be wrong there, but i thought proTools hardware didn't work with any other software, and i thought Line 6 may be similar based on my problems.

That is how it was on older versions of PT, then people realized that other DAWs could do just as much as Pro Tools and aren't locked to an over priced mbox. Then Avid had to change there approach to avoid losing to much marketshare.
Last edited by FireHawk at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by gumbilicious
^ i don't know about any problems with the preamps. do you have a link?

no link, i was just googled presonus usb audio review and read a bunch of forums with reviews. i also noticed there were a few people with driver problems, but those could just be isolated instances.

I dont think i'll need phantom power. I have a sennheiser e835 mic. I haven't used it in a while, but i don't remember needing phantom power for it.
Quote by macgregger

I dont think i'll need phantom power. I have a sennheiser e835 mic. I haven't used it in a while, but i don't remember needing phantom power for it.

e835 is a dynamic mic so it does not require phantom power
ok, so you'd say the tascam or the line6 would be a good way to go? any other suggestions?

the focusrite saffire is $220 (in ontario that is) so its a little out of my price range. i did see and "open box" on ebay for $180. so that may be the way to go.

the nice thing about the line6 unit is that it comes with pod farm. i was gonna use that or the free distro of amplitube. i can either do that or just mic my amp pedal chain.
Quote by macgregger

the nice thing about the line6 unit is that it comes with pod farm. i was gonna use that or the free distro of amplitube. i can either do that or just mic my amp pedal chain.

I am actually getting ready to try the free amplitube 3. I have had Pod Farm for about 2 years now and to be honest I use free amp sims more than anything.

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/ is where my favorite amp sims are located. You need an impulse loader as well. There is one called keifer that is easy to find on google that is also free. I prefer those sounds over POD Farm. With that said good tones can come from POD Farm.

Overall I am happy with my UX2 so I'd imagine the UX1 is a safe bet. I do recommend you reading the official amp sim guide in this forum though even if you use pod farm. Impulse responses you can get for free are usually better than the standard cabs in most programs.

Ideally I would try to get that open box focusrite (especially if it comes with warranty) if its from a reliable seller. I have a few open box hardware (my UX2 included) and it all works great.
Last edited by FireHawk at Feb 12, 2012,
so i'm always looking for cheaper stuff.
does anyone have any experience with the peavey xport? its only $60. i know it only has one quarter inch input for guitar, but would i be able to plug an unbalanced mic cable and just record guitar and vocal separately?