Does anyone have any experience with them? It seems kind of too good to be true to be able to get a single coil and humbucker in one pick up. Is there any downsides at all?
Yes it works well when you have the right pickup for the guitar/aplication.

My PRS has Dragon II pickups and all I really ever use live are the HB settings, but I have recorded with the single coil settings, and they sound pretty darn good.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Like ethan said, it doesn't sound like a true single coil. It takes basically half of the original winding and uses that as your pickup. You won't get that fat spank like a neck pcikup of a strat but it does allow for some cool tones. I've got splits/taps on my PRS and while it'll never be a strat, I do some cool stuff with them.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I had a Schecter with it but I dismantled it a couple days ago. To me it's an overcomplicated setup that doesn't really sound all that great. I'm not really a tone snob in any other way, but I just cannot stand a split humbucker. It's a great idea on paper, but to me, it falls flat.

A lot of people like it though, it might just be me. I'd suggest going to a store to see if you can try out some guitars with coil taps and see if you like it.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
What you're talking about is coil spliitting. That takes a Humbucker (2 coils) and splits it by cutting out one of the coils, thus, making a single coil pickup.

A coil Tap cuts out half the winds in a single coil making the single coil pickup mellow a bit..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I've had a similar experience with my new EMG DG-20's. They don't sound just like vintage single coils or like humbuckers, but are very versatile, more versatile than single coils or humbuckers alone and have a unique sound to them.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
Last edited by pawnluv at Feb 12, 2012,
They're a nifty little bonus to have. They're not necessarily a true single coil sound, but they emulate it pretty well. It's a good thing to have as an extra. You don't have to use it, of course, but it's nice to have the option. It gives you a bit more tonal diversity.

The downside is that it is, in essence, a humbucker cut in half. I have found split humbuckers on clean settings to be, basically, the same sound as a humbucker but quieter. Distortion gives it a bit more of a twang, but it's not always the most noticeable.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.