Well guys, I've a problem with my bass.
It's awful.

Im currently playing a Marlin Sidewinder and the tone actually sounds like a wet fart. Basically the Encore guitars of the 80's.

Im looking to get a new bass but I just dont have a baldy about bass brands. I know that Behringer are a no-no, but apart from that, im lost. I dont even have a bass amp at the minute as I have to lend my drummers bass amp.

I have about 240 quid, which is about 480 dollars or something, to spend on a new bass and amp.
Please help a fellow bassist
What kind of music do you want to play?
What tone are you looking for?
willing to go used?
Gigging or home use?

answer these and help us to help you.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Quote by will42
What kind of music do you want to play?
What tone are you looking for?
willing to go used?
Gigging or home use?

answer these and help us to help you.

I want to play classic rock/Hard Rock.

Hmm. More of a warm tone to be honest.

Yes, sir I am willing to go used.

Gigging use definately.

Does this help?
Your bass may indeed sound like a fart because the batteries for your pickups and or active EQ are dead. Did you remove the rear panel to see if your bass needs 9 volt batteries?
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Skint Out
I want to play classic rock/Hard Rock.

Hmm. More of a warm tone to be honest.

Yes, sir I am willing to go used.

Gigging use definately.

Does this help?

It does, just classic rock/Hard rock is a very broad spectrum, so maybe some band names would be more useful.

What type of amp are you borrowing from your drummer?
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Quote by Vypor
Your bass may indeed sound like a fart because the batteries for your pickups and or active EQ are dead. Did you remove the rear panel to see if your bass needs 9 volt batteries?

No, I didnt know that basses come with batteries. I'll have to certainatly scope that out. Might save me a few £££'s. Unfortuantly I dont currently have my bass in my house at the current time :/

Quote by will42
It does, just classic rock/Hard rock is a very broad spectrum, so maybe some band names would be more useful.

Sorry, stuff like: Deep Purple, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath and our original stuff would be in a simliar category.

A 30 Watt Park Amp just to practice on. Been leeching off other bassists until I could get money together for a decent amp.
Last edited by Skint Out at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by will42

Even if he named names they more than likely use a setup that cost more than 240 briton bucks.

about 1000^1000 threads to search about this topic. Comes down to something with at a bare minimum 100 watts but 200+ is better, if you know to avoid said brand, just search online and in shops and google up the finds to see reviews and threads about said instruments and amps.

Seeing as you already have a bass, I'd seriously consider throwing as much money as you could now into the amp so at least you have one quality piece of gear that will provide the most bang for your buck anyways, than 2 lesser basses and the cheapest amp you could find. Consider adding new strings, cleaning it, changing batteries etc.
Quote by askrere
Even if he named names they more than likely use a setup that cost more than 240 briton bucks.

about 1000^1000 threads to search about this topic. Comes down to something with at a bare minimum 100 watts but 200+ is better, if you know to avoid said brand, just search online and in shops and google up the finds to see reviews and threads about said instruments and amps.

Seeing as you already have a bass, I'd seriously consider throwing as much money as you could now into the amp so at least you have one quality piece of gear that will provide the most bang for your buck anyways, than 2 lesser basses and the cheapest amp you could find. Consider adding new strings, cleaning it, changing batteries etc.

Yeah thats probably the most logical course of action. Cheers man.
Quote by Skint Out

A 30 Watt Park Amp just to practice on. Been leeching off other bassists until I could get money together for a decent amp.

This is going to have alot to do with it...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
This is going to have alot to do with it...

30 shoddy watts can get you into fart territory especially if you got old dirty strings, and play with the volume kind of high and bass up mids down.