Page 1 of 2
i have $250 in birthday money and i think it's time to get a tube amp. i gig and play mostly metal but also classic rock and blues, and i like versatility. i'm thinking the jet city 20h and some form of OD (if i can afford one at the time... if not i'll use my metal muff for a while i guess). i also have a b-52 ls-100. would it be better to get a better cab or tube head?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
JCA20-h all the way.

I have on one the way that I just scored off of ebay for 205 shipped.
Try going used and you'll save enough money to get a decent OD pedal
Quote by Duv
And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.

Quote by guitarxo
I hope you get raped by a bayonet

Quote by beckyjc
Roland Cube / Vox Valvetronix / Peavey Vypyr / Hitler > Line 6 Spider.
how does it handle metal? from iron maiden to skeletonwitch
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

The JCA 20 should be able to handle it fine with the proper EQing and a overdrive. I use a metal muff through my VK100 and it still gets better tone than any solid state. I would say the Jet City is a good option. I would also recommend looking into blackstar. They have some great cheap gear.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
i was gonna try to run my metal muff through it for the heavier stuff then use an OD to get a maiden/priest tone and run the amp clean, does it stay clean for long?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

The Peavey Windsor is the Stupid Deal of the Day from Musicians Friend for $250 today. With a boost, they're pretty cool amps. For about $15 in parts, you can change the circuit to the exact circuit of the Marshall JCM800 2203.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The Peavey Windsor is the Stupid Deal of the Day from Musicians Friend for $250 today. With a boost, they're pretty cool amps. For about $15 in parts, you can change the circuit to the exact circuit of the Marshall JCM800 2203.

Do you happen to know where to find the schematic to do such a thing?

Edit: Nevermind, found it!
Last edited by Wisthekiller at Feb 12, 2012,
Ive heard the jca20 isnt very good for metal. id look into the peavey windsor head though. maybe the blue voodoo, i just scored a peavey vypyr tube 60 for $250.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by MatrixClaw

+1. I was gonna recommend a Windsor. It's a whole lot of amp for the prices they go for.

You'll need a few pedals though - the only thing it really excels at is serious crunch. It won't do "modern" metal (but neither will the Jet City), but it should be able to handle Maiden with a boost.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Vox AC4TV does Rock Tones sublimely and can do decent metal with good pedals.
"I wanted water but I'll walk through the fire"
/RAGE i missed the windsor. balls.
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

hmm... i'll have to investigate. how about sam ash?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

The thing that worries me about these cheap tube amps is, "what sort of transformers are they using if they can sell the finished product for so little?"
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The thing that worries me about these cheap tube amps is, "what sort of transformers are they using if they can sell the finished product for so little?"

Economies of scale, m'friend...

You're right though, that aren't as 'robust' as they could be. Seem to work fine tho...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
well i have no job, so i have no money, otherwise i'd buy one of your cookie-tin plexis i just need to see what is available where i live. i don't trust GC online cuz the e-inventories are wrong as hell lol
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

just go for the Jet City 20h. save a few pennys and get a Bad Monkey or GFS Greenie both are ~50 new and cheaper used.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I didn't think the 20 was for metal... I know the 50 and 100 will work.
Quote by Robbgnarly
just go for the Jet City 20h. save a few pennys and get a Bad Monkey or GFS Greenie both are ~50 new and cheaper used.

As an owner of one, I recommend against the JCA if you want metal. For rock and blues it's fine, but not metal.
so what should i get?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Do you need to get an amp?

I get the feeling from this thread that nothing in your price range will actually give you what you're looking for in an amp. You might be better just saving that money.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
if you love your b-52 look into the at100 head.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
i have 6 guitars and solid state... it's time for t00bz. i might get money from my grandma so my budget might be a little higher. i'm tired of the B-52, and hopefully i can get my own cab and give my uncle his back. maybe i'll look into a windsor or a used bugera (1990?) we shall see what the weekend brings.
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

that b-52 is tube.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
a touch too modern
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Definitely get the Windsor over the 1990. You don't need your amp randomly shitting the bed on you

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i'll just convince my band to avoid cleans
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

I didn't realize the 1990 was two channels. That would probably be the better choice then, sorry.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
it's cool man i'll just play both see which i like better
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Last edited by IronMaiden76 at Feb 13, 2012,
budget upped to $300
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

ah second the windsor.

ah got mine for 150, couldnt be happier.

great amps...

ah need to set aside some time ta mod it...
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
are the cleans good on that?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

hell no. you wont be getting clean and metal tones from the same amp in that price range.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
for how much did you snag your vypyr?
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

$250. changed the tubes to JJs. got those for 50. but thats because I got overnight shipping. its worth a try. ive seen the 120 combos and heads going for $400 used also.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
The B52 AT series is a good amp in this price range. Worth considering.

Quote by romeozdistress
$250. changed the tubes to JJs. got those for 50. but thats because I got overnight shipping. its worth a try. ive seen the 120 combos and heads going for $400 used also.

Did you get the Vypyr 60 finally? Why does it need new tubes?
Well I blew a fuse. and I just wanted to be on the safe side, So I also changed the tubes. somebody told me to get ssome JJs so I pulled the trigger.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Feb 14, 2012,
my friend's vypyr blew like 4 fuses in a week so i'm kinda leery of them. but my total amount of money is about $300, and that might go up if my grandma gives me money too, maybe $50 or $100 more. so maybe i'll be able to get a bugera or a valveking head.
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699

Page 1 of 2