I would still pirate
18 44%
I would pay for music anyway
13 32%
I'm going to create that service
2 5%
Voters: 41.
Page 1 of 2
So I think we can all agree that the current way music is distributed and sold is becoming obsolete. We could fight piracy, like congress is thinking about doing, but this is not an ultimate answer. The only way to truly make music profitable again and to fight piracy would be to provide a service that was more convenient (and profitable) than any method that is currently being used.

What if a music service operated on a per play ad revenue basis? The internet and TV that advertising revenue is an extremely viable way to do business, and the more attention a certain website can garner, the more people are willing to pay to advertise there. Why couldn't this be applied to music? Non audio ads could be played while songs stream for free, and the more popular this service became, the more revenue this service would make from ads.

To alleviate copyrite issues, artists and record companies could be paid a royalty percentage of this revenue based on the number of plays that one of their songs received. Music could perhaps still be purchased for an "ad free" experience.

Opinions anyone? (Poll coming)
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Last edited by Danjo's Guitar at Feb 12, 2012,
We should all collectively stop producing/consuming media. That would surely alleviate piracy, because there will be nothing to pirate.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I dunno, but if something like this exists, then I don't see why the music industry is still making a fuss.

Oh, and I should have mentioned, the service should let you have a library, and you should be able to directly select songs, otherwise it would be pointless.
Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

So what you're saying is exactly Spotify.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
cd's cost $4 dollars not on clearance, than I think there would be a rise in sales
I knew I should have put "this already exists" as a poll option. Anyway, I'd be interested to know why people would still pirate when you could get the same music without the hassle, and the artists you like would actually get paid for it.
Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Hydra150

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Here's the deal about piracy:

It's quick. It's convenient. It's free. It's compact. It's easy. It's portable. It's non-DRM'd. It's universally formatted and can be used on any platform. It doesn't rely on a constant internet connection for streaming.

In order for legitimate music sources to successfully combat piracy they would have to provide a better service than all of that ^^^^^^^, which is hard to do. Therefore, I don't see piracy going anywhere unless some major innovation or penalty happens.
Last edited by Seref at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by Seref

It's quick. It's convenient. It's free. It's compact. It's easy.

In order for legitimate music sources to successfully combat piracy they would have to provide a better service than all of that ^^^^^^^, which is hard to do. Therefore, I don't see piracy going anywhere unless some major innovation or penalty happens.

If they actually start busting people who pirate music then you'll probably see entire countries collapse due to the influx of impossible to pay debt, and clogged up justice systems unable to deal with literally tens of millions of people who are being charged.

The system is powerless to do anything unless they get what the governments really would like, which is total censorship of the internet.

I predict a future of 'pirate internet' service providers actually, like pirate radio.
What I'm talking about is basically an i-tunes library (or whatever program library), where you can instantly add any song you want for free, keep all your favorite songs together in playlists and what have you, and tracks would have a higher sound quality than pirated ones. And it wouldn't be stealing.

Whats wrong with that?
Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Hydra150

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

You really should get Spotify
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Anyway, I'd be interested to know why people would still pirate when you could get the same music without the hassle, and the artists you like would actually get paid for it.

Why I'd want to download music when I can just listen online for free? Youtube's already been invented, yet I still pirate.

EDIT: My bad, didn't see this.

Quote by Danjo's Guitar
What I'm talking about is basically an i-tunes library (or whatever program library), where you can instantly add any song you want for free, keep all your favorite songs together in playlists and what have you, and tracks would have a higher sound quality than pirated ones. And it wouldn't be stealing.

Whats wrong with that?

Nothing wrong with it, I still want to steal though.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Feb 12, 2012,
Actually, here's an idea:

Piracy is a big deal in gaming, too. But you know what? There's this thing called Steam where people spend hundreds and even thousands of dollars on games that they could just pirate for free. Why does Steam not only survive, but thrive?

Because Steam provides a better service than just free games.

Steam provides a completely unified system for management, purchase, communication and browsing in a very streamlined and mostly ad-free interface (it has some ads but they are completely non-obtrusive). Steam has regular -50%+ sales. Steam's download speeds are fast and consistent whereas you have to pray for good seed connection in torrents. Steam games are up immediately upon release whereas you have to wait for cracks fir pirated games.

Steam games aren't free. But because the entire Steam package gets you so much more than just the game, it becomes worth it to buy games again. Music needs something along these lines. iTunes actually helped a great deal but its not quite there yet.
Radiohead's In Rainbows
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
And I suppose I should also mention that I'm forecasting a future in which all devices are connected to the internet all the time, so there would be no difference between streaming and having something on your harddrive.
Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Hydra150

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by Danjo's Guitar
And I suppose I should also mention that I'm forecasting a future in which all devices are connected to the internet all the time, so there would be no difference between streaming and having something on your harddrive.

so cloud computing.

This whole thread would be super-innovative 15 years ago dude

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I appreciate that you're thinking of innovative ways to deal with this problem. More creative solutions are needed in this area.

However, the problem with this specific idea is that music or any audio is intrusive advertising. A graphic can be easy swept out of the way or ignored. The same isn't true for audio. It would be too annoying for site visitors and decrease traffic.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

However, the problem with this specific idea is that music or any audio is intrusive advertising. A graphic can be easy swept out of the way or ignored. The same isn't true for audio. It would be too annoying for site visitors and decrease traffic.

Which is why I said non-audio advertising. Websites have ads with just pictures, I don't see why you couldn't have the same for this.
Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Hydra150

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by Seref

It's quick. It's convenient. It's free. It's compact. It's easy. It's portable. It's non-DRM'd. It's universally formatted and can be used on any platform. It doesn't rely on a constant internet connection for streaming.

Piracy is not as convenient as you think.

Torrenting or other ways of getting music often has substantial hassles. First of all, you might have to sift through lots of results. Sometimes a lot of those results aren't what you're looking for. Other times there are lots of instances of the same thing of varying quality and you have to sift through which one to get. Then there's the issue of packaging. A lot of torrents are packed in very convoluted ways and you have to do a lot of work just to unpack and assemble the files. Also, a lot of times, metatag information such as the title, year, track number, etc is missing or badly formatted. Lastly, there's always the risk of viruses/malware.

There are definitely attractive things about a legitimate business model that offers music in an extremely efficient, streamlined, and elegant way that would trump the advantages of piracy.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Which is why I said non-audio advertising. Websites have ads with just pictures, I don't see why you couldn't have the same for this.

Oh wait, I misunderstood.

Ok in that case, there's already models that do this. Spotify, for example.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
So then are we just waiting for internet infrastructure to catch up or what? I don't understand what the hang up is.

And while I'm throwing out ideas, artists should be able to submit and receive royalties on their own music, independent of labels.
Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Hydra150

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by Danjo's Guitar
So then are we just waiting for internet infrastructure to catch up or what? I don't understand what the hang up is.

Pretty much.

Basically, the main thing about piracy that's attractive is that you can own it as local content. We're not at a point where wifi is accessible everywhere yet. But that'll change in the next decade or so and render local media obsolete.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Okay, well I guess I can take that as an answer and wait. And look at buying some stock in spotify...

Though I'm one of those weird old school people who would much rather own a legit physical copy anyway. I would use a service like that for finding new music.
Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Hydra150

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by Danjo's Guitar

And while I'm throwing out ideas, artists should be able to submit and receive royalties on their own music, independent of labels.

That's what I think we're still waiting on. It would be like iTunes, except iTunes is the de facto label in that you upload to the store and the store hosts and sells the choons sans a middleman. That's kind of what I imagine Tunecore is, but I've never actually looked into Tunecore much.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Okay, so if spotify was available on mobile, it would be exactly what I'm talking about. Except it shouldn't be limited at all.
Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Hydra150

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Bandcamp, you lazy fucks can pay artists directly and can't use the whole "I'm fightin the record labels man" argument when you steal from them.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by Zoot Allures
Pay for music?

This.

Also if CDs didn't cost so damn much. up to 20$ sometimes... i wouldn't mind buying them if they were 5$. but im a broke ass poor kid from seattle so i just DL them like everyone else does.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence
i think it is a great idea. i like the idea of no audio ads and the part were record labels are still important. i'm not sure if there is anything like this. i haven't heard of anything like these.

i'm really impressed by the idea.

also i like having physical copies of cds. but i think that is just me. i don't hear to many people compllining about itunes and not having a physical copy. i guess it's just me. i like the album physical in my hands, reading the lyrics and the thank yous. got any ideas how to include this? you don't have to answer that since i think i'm the only one who like physical copies.
I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given.
Personally I'm all for buying music, but I have limited resources and would like to find new music without breaking the bank. I do intend to buy it all eventually though.

However, I know there are people who refuse to pay for anything, and will do so for the rest of their lives. This is both the great thing and the terrible thing about the internet. Something needs to be done so that these people don't ruin everything.
Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Hydra150

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Quote by mr.retard
i think it is a great idea. i like the idea of no audio ads and the part were record labels are still important. i'm not sure if there is anything like this. i haven't heard of anything like these.

i'm really impressed by the idea.

also i like having physical copies of cds. but i think that is just me. i don't hear to many people compllining about itunes and not having a physical copy. i guess it's just me. i like the album physical in my hands, reading the lyrics and the thank yous. got any ideas how to include this? you don't have to answer that since i think i'm the only one who like physical copies.

I'm totally with you actually. But I'm pretty sure physical copies will never be free. Which is okay I guess. I don't think hard copies will be entirely phased out for a long time either.
Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Hydra150

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

I just bought the new Menzingers record. DO IT.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
yeah i didn't think there was a way. but it's good to hear that someone else likes physical copies.

also what's your opinion on music videos? i think there dying. not because of the internet but because there just not on television anymore. mtv and vh1 rarely plays them. i remember music videos being really influential growing up. i think there just not as important as they use to be. sorry if these is unrelated to the thread.
I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given.
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Personally I'm all for buying music, but I have limited resources and would like to find new music without breaking the bank. I do intend to buy it all eventually though.

However, I know there are people who refuse to pay for anything, and will do so for the rest of their lives. This is both the great thing and the terrible thing about the internet. Something needs to be done so that these people don't ruin everything.

http://bandcamp.com/

They let you listen to a song (or album, discography, depends on what the artist puts up) in it's entirety before you buy, most artists are directly represented and all the money goes back to them (minus like 10% of sales that goes back to bandcamp after someone buys the track), they let you download in any format you want (lossless, 320 mp3, iPod bs formats, everything), and they are completely legal. Alot of artists even put up their music for a free download, or a pay what you want, or even a pay what you want as long as you pay x amount. It can act as an artist's webpage and store, and they get relatively high results on google searches so it is easier for people to find the lesser known artist's work.

If the record labels don't strangle this before it gets too big or it becomes greedy and changes, bandcamp is the future imo.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Page 1 of 2