I just sold a guitar for $400, and I am looking to spend the money on some new gear. I really want to get a new amp or guitar. I really love the look of double cuts. I'm trying to stay under $600. I would probably buy a used guitar because to get the most out of my money. I know nearly nothing about amps, but I am looking toward those as well. Of course I would only get one of the two, not both a new guitar and amp. I have a Gibson SG and a Tele with Lace Sensor Red/Red in the bridge and Blue in the neck. I play Rock, Blues, Metal, Jazz, and punk.
What kind of amp do you have right now? If you already have an SG and a Tele, a new amp might be the better investment, but it depends on what amp you have right now
Hagstrom Swede w/Bare Knuckle Black Dogs
Peavey JSX
Avatar Contemporary 2x12 (Celestion V30/G12K100)
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
peavey vypyr 75 sorry i forgot to write that. I need something that is as loud because i find myself often playing full volume with my band
you need somthing versatile... hrmm. this may be a problem.. I was going to say fender blues junior or fender deluxe 3.... but you play metal as well..
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Sell your amp and get something with tubes. If you can get a used Peavey Triple XXX, JSX, or Ultra Plus in your price range, that could work well for you. Maybe even a used Marshall JCM 2000 if the price is right.
Peavey JSX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
If you can get a used Peavey Triple XXX, JSX, or Ultra Plus in your price range, that could work well for you. Maybe even a used Marshall JCM 2000 if the price is right.

clean tones are very important to me, so are those good clean? also, i wouldnt be using any built in distortion because I have several distortion pedals.
well if you have the pedals look at fender. seriously. its all personal preference, but they will do the cleans easy.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
well if you have the pedals look at fender. seriously. its all personal preference, but they will do the cleans easy.

I haven't really messed around with metal on fender amps because gc doesnt let you try out pedals on amps of your choice.
how are these
Peavey Ranger 212
Kustom HV100
Peavey Valveking
Vox AC30vr
Quote by guitarscore11
clean tones are very important to me, so are those good clean? also, i wouldnt be using any built in distortion because I have several distortion pedals.

The JSX has a good clean channel. Some people complain about it because it doesn't break up at high volumes, but if you need breakup, you can put an overdrive in front of the amp. The Triple XXX clean channel is very similar to that of the JSX. Not exactly the same, but similar. I haven't played a JCM 2000 in quite some time, but from what I can remember, the cleans were decent.
Peavey JSX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Quote by guitarscore11
I haven't really messed around with metal on fender amps because gc doesnt let you try out pedals on amps of your choice.
how are these
Peavey Ranger 212
Kustom HV100
Peavey Valveking
Vox AC30vr

The only one of these amps I've used personally is the Valveking. It's okay, but nothing all that special. The Vox AC30vr probably wouldn't do so hot with metal, and the fact that it has a solid-state power amp means that it would be quieter than your Vyper. I've never heard anything good about andy Kustom amp, so I wouldn't suggest it. Peavey Ranger might work for you, but I'm not too familiar with it, so I can't really judge on that one
Peavey JSX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
The only one of these amps I've used personally is the Valveking. It's okay, but nothing all that special. The Vox AC30vr probably wouldn't do so hot with metal, and the fact that it has a solid-state power amp means that it would be quieter than your Vyper. I've never heard anything good about andy Kustom amp, so I wouldn't suggest it. Peavey Ranger might work for you, but I'm not too familiar with it, so I can't really judge on that one

alright thanks. I guess i should stick with peavey and marshall. Ill do some more research and make a trip to the store sometime this week.
I own a Fender HRD that won me over with the way it handles cleans. After several years of ownership, I have only 2 regrets:

1) it is simply too much amp for my needs: if I go over 4, I start scaring my dogs & disturbing the neighbors.

2) it doesn't deliver quit the distorted tone I'd like for heavier music, but that's probably more related to number 1 above than anything else. Still, that means I'm strongly considering getting a second SMALL amp- something like an Orange, perhaps.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I own a Fender HRD that won me over with the way it handles cleans. After several years of ownership, I have only 2 regrets:

1) it is simply too much amp for my needs: if I go over 4, I start scaring my dogs & disturbing the neighbors.

2) it doesn't deliver quit the distorted tone I'd like for heavier music, but that's probably more related to number 1 above than anything else. Still, that means I'm strongly considering getting a second SMALL amp- something like an Orange, perhaps.
do you use the built-in distortion or stomboxes?
You play your 75 at full volume? I haven't had to turn mine past 5 to jam with a full band. I'd say look into Fender amps as others have suggested, since it sounds like most of your tone will be built off of the clean channel. But have you tried the Vypyr Tube 60s? Just a thought. But otherwise, a solid Fender tube amp would probably be the way to go.
But have you tried the Vypyr Tube 60s? Just a thought. But otherwise, a solid Fender tube amp would probably be the way to go.
I haven't, but im not really interested in the amp modeling anyway. can you recommend some fenders? I havent really used any other than the frontman.
Quote by guitarscore11
do you use the built-in distortion or stomboxes?

I've tried the "dirty" channel and I have a Krank Distortus Maximus & a Russian Big Muff, which is all nice...but far short of some of the sonic textures I'm looking for. At least at volumes <4.

I mean, I can get a convincing 70-90s metal tone- Sab, Maiden, and so forth- but something sludgy like Earth or Boris is not going to be on the menu.

FWIW, I primarily use Robert Fripp's New Standard Tuning. NST, while mostly used by progressive guitarists, still has a decent low end: CGDAEG. And at some point, I'm planning on snagging a Baritone to be tuned in NST's Bari equivalent: AEBF#C#E.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 14, 2012,
FWIW, I primarily use Robert Fripp's New Standard Tuning. NST, while mostly used by progressive guitarists, still has a decent low end: CGDAEG. And at some point, I'm planning on snagging a Baritone to be tuned in NST's Bari equivalent: AEBF#C#E
im only going to be playing like dropped d metal. The heaviest im going is like tool.
You need a nice semi-hollow to fill out your stable.
lol I was thinking either a semi hollow, a fernandes dragon fly, or an eastwood airline, but it makes more sense to put that off and buy an amp.
So my original buyer on the ibanez copped out, but i got a new offer for a boss ds-1, a crybaby, and a frontman 212r. should i do it? I could keep my vypyr for heavier stuff (which i dont really play as much with my band) and have the fender the rest.
if you can mic it, Egnater Rebel 20 or 30 are delicious. i had their bigger brother the Renegade and it was a very nice versatile amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/