So this weekend I had the oppritunity to try out the mini rec through a PRS Deep 2x12 (very similar to the recto 2x12,just more awesome ) and through 2 bogner 4x12s. let me just first off say that that little thing rips and is the real deal sure ( I was very skeptical of it at first too). So Im almost positive a properly EQ'd recto is where I want to be right now. But Ive also been eyeballing a mesa roadster forever so Itll be the mini rec or roadster for sure

the problem is that its mainly for home use. so the roadster may not get to optimal volumes. the mini rec I noticed is quite fizzy if you dont give it any volume on 25w. easily worked around by cranking the volume on 10w. but the roadster is 100/50w which is alot more.

I do plan on band/live use in the future but for now itll justg be for home. the mini rec will for sure suit me great for the time being but later on I may not have the power I need later. like I know 25w for distorted tones is plenty loud enough but the clean headroom concerns me too.

so what do you guys think? can the roadster manage at volumes that arent tear your face off loud? the mini rec has great cleans but I have a feeling the roadsters cleans are a tad better?

next time im in ill hopefully get to play the roadster too, but last time I just got so into the mini rec I didnt really want to play much else. TBH if wattage/headroom wasnt an issue Id be for sure going for the mini rec
I would probably go for the Roadster if I were you. If it's too loud for your home use, get a volume pedal (preferably the Dunlop DVP1) and put it in the FX loop to attenuate it.

Or if it will be a while until you start playing in a band setting, go for the Mini Rectifier and trade it in when you're ready for the Roadster.
Hagstrom Swede w/Bare Knuckle Black Dogs
Peavey JSX
Avatar Contemporary 2x12 (Celestion V30/G12K100)
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
well I just dont have the option to buy now and upgrade later, whatever I choose has to last.

and its not the volume thats the actual problem, it seems that rectos need juice to open up and loose their fizziness. Can I realisticallydo that at home without band volumes?
mini rec. just cos I want to see a NAD with it... i mean you can use it at gigs too, just mic the bloddy thing up!
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Roadster for sure. You don't need the greatest tone in your bedroom (not to say the Roadster can't do it), and the Roadster is going to sound infinitely better when cranked live, once you start playing out.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Roadster without a doubt.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
How is this even a decision? Roadster blows that little toy away!

It's really a much better amp all around. And since you said you need it to last you... It's a no brainer. The Roadster is very versatile and will handle almost anything you throw at it.

Mini Rec looks like a gimmick to me (why the hell would you want power tube saturation on a Rec? And they're not even 6L6/EL34's!)

/rant
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
How is this even a decision? Roadster blows that little toy away!

It's really a much better amp all around. And since you said you need it to last you... It's a no brainer. The Roadster is very versatile and will handle almost anything you throw at it.

Mini Rec looks like a gimmick to me (why the hell would you want power tube saturation on a Rec? And they're not even 6L6/EL34's!)

/rant

Lol I was saying that at first then i tried one

It can sound like a full out recto, but it does more. Really suprising.

But really the roadster is that much bettter? And what do you guys think, 2x12 combo or head and cab? Personally id lean somewhat towards the combo for the roadster
Head/cab, definitely. Roadster/Road King combos are ungodly heavy.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Definitely the Roadster in Head form. Just grab a 2x12 cab and you have the same thing that's easier to carry and able to be upgraded later. The Mini Recto seems kinda pointless to me. If you want the Recto sound at bedroom volumes, use the fancy Volume knob, and if you want power tube saturation, get an attenuator and get saturation from the tubes that are actually in a Recto.
Head form. Your back will thank you for making 2 trips instead of hauling a tank up a stage.

Also, IMO Mesas aren't as bad at some amps at maintaining a consistent tone across volume levels. I've played my MkV at whisper volumes and with all gun blazing, and I don't find the tonal difference that drastic.

If what you get has to last you, I'd go for the Roadser.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Head form. Your back will thank you for making 2 trips instead of hauling a tank up a stage.

Also, IMO Mesas aren't as bad at some amps at maintaining a consistent tone across volume levels. I've played my MkV at whisper volumes and with all gun blazing, and I don't find the tonal difference that drastic.

If what you get has to last you, I'd go for the Roadser.

Wait, why is everyone saying go with the head and cab? Because the combo pretty much is the wieght of a 412

Well next time I go, I guess Ill shootout the Roadster and mini, and maybe even the markV but damn theyre getting rediculously expensive.

Brw the store had the roadster 212 combo for 2300$ with taxes in which is a pretty good deal for new
Buy it used, you could get that Roadster for like a grand less.... At the New price you might as well just buy my other Axe FX II
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Damn you MC

Ill see what pops up used but theres like 3 roadster headsfloating around for 1800$ and most are 5-7 years old, about 6 months ago there were at least 5 in one month that sold for under 1600.
Quote by Seanthesheep
Lol I was saying that at first then i tried one

It can sound like a full out recto, but it does more. Really suprising.

But really the roadster is that much bettter? And what do you guys think, 2x12 combo or head and cab? Personally id lean somewhat towards the combo for the roadster

Head and 212. Any day. I have an SS 115 combo that is hell to move down stairs. A 212 14 tube monster will do to you what Bane did to Batman.
Quote by Seanthesheep
Wait, why is everyone saying go with the head and cab? Because the combo pretty much is the wieght of a 412

Well next time I go, I guess Ill shootout the Roadster and mini, and maybe even the markV but damn theyre getting rediculously expensive.

Brw the store had the roadster 212 combo for 2300$ with taxes in which is a pretty good deal for new

The head and cab can be carried in two trips, or one in each hand, saving you from caarrying something even heavier all at once. For example, my Vengeance is about 60lbs and my 2x12 is about another 60lbs. Now, being the big mother****er I am, I can tell you that 120lbs isn't too heavy for me to carry up to the second floor where my apartment is. I usually just carry them both, one in each hand, so I don't have to make more trips up/down the stairs. However, if they were both in one enclosure, I would have to carry them both no matter what, and something that shape/size with that weight and only a strap handle on top is one awkward bugger to carry, making it twice as hard. Now, not everyone is half-giant like myself, so making 2 trips will have your back thanking you every time you relocate your rig.
Quote by Seanthesheep

The weight itself isn't what's important, its the weight distribution. 4x12's are easy to move because their weight is spread out over such a large area. With a combo, all that weight is condensed into a much smaller area, and its just a bitch to move.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Im taking this thread as a joke to start off

The roadster is a completley different amp on every level.
In short the roadster will make the mini recto not only look like a toy but sound like one too.

The only thing the mini has on the roadster is portability, but really its not that hard to carry a 2x12 and the roadster head.

The mini cant compete with its big brothers

The roadster will sound fine at bedroom levels also.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by themelodicdeathshow at Feb 13, 2012,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Buy it used, you could get that Roadster for like a grand less.... At the New price you might as well just buy my other Axe FX II

How much?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Seanthesheep
New roadster, 2300$.

Axe fx ii 2200, plus shipping taxes, etcetcetc

I wanted to know what he's selling his AxeII for. Most are trying to flip them for profits.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

I have a simple rule. "Never sacrifice your stage sound for the sake of the bedroom."
Get the roadster.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ok then, if I can score a roadster for 1600 or less, ill jump on that. Other than that ill still be looking at other things in the same price range of what a new one would cost
Quote by Seanthesheep
Ok then, if I can score a roadster for 1600 or less, ill jump on that. Other than that ill still be looking at other things in the same price range of what a new one would cost

Guitar Center Marietta has one for $1249 and Guitar Center Nashville has one for $1299. Search Roadster on used.guitarcenter.com. 3rd and 2nd results down respectively. Shipping should be an extra $50 or so.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Ah, ghey. Could probably have someone over here buy it and ship it though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Then theres shippig on heavy items, personally I could prolly do the drive, but i know ill pay 7% NYstate sales tax right off the bat, then when I try and bring it home ill be slapped with another 13% taxes for ontario, prolly of the current new retail pice too, then gas and food and itll quickly add up close tothe 1800$ id pay for one used here
Yep, buying in Canada from the US really depends on how close you are to the border. For me, it's an hour away, so it's pretty cheap for quick trips to pick up packages. And having to pay HST @ the border on used items = teh suck.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Yepp like im maybe half hour from downtown toronto so the niagra falls border is 1.5-2h away IIRC. But theres the border crossing on weekends which is hell and then once im across its another 30mins atleast to a GC
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
well id go for the roadster, since it can produce so many more tones, if you want to get the cranked sound in a bedroom, get an attenuator, lowers the wattage and volume of the amp
Kona Custom(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H300(Duncan Loaded)
LTD H400 (Duncan Loaded) STOCK YESSSS
LTD M202 BB(Duncan Loaded)
80s American Tele(STOCK)
Gibson Faded V
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Mesa Triple Rectifier (EL-34s)
and many more.....
Quote by MatrixClaw

Do you realize how far some of tjose places are?

Vancouver is atleast 5 days of straight driving to get to. London is 2.5h, thubderbay is a day and a half away, and i wouldnt buy sight unseen without some warranty
Our provinces are enormous compared to states.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Roadster.

The mini recto is fine if you're simply going to record in a studio at home (even then it isnt as good for that sound than a 2 channel recto, which is the same price on the used market....) but the fact is that the Roadster will probably sound just as good at those volumes and is better in every way. 4 channels, 100 watts, reverb, its just better in everyway.
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by Cathbard
I have a simple rule. "Never sacrifice your stage sound for the sake of the bedroom."
Get the roadster.

Listen to the Zen master. It is wisdom he speaks.

If I know my amp can cause eargasms at gig volume, I don't mind if it gets a little fizzy or thin at bedroom volume. I mean, there aren't many amps that won't sound a little off at whisper volume. You will almost definitely have to EQ it differently when you crank it up anyway.

So in short, roadster head. No doubt.

Mesa's combos are built out of depleted uranium or something. They're heavy as shit, and I always find combos to be awkwardly sized to carry. Especially 212's... I'll NEVER own another 212 combo.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by Seanthesheep
Do you realize how far some of tjose places are?

Vancouver is atleast 5 days of straight driving to get to. London is 2.5h, thubderbay is a day and a half away, and i wouldnt buy sight unseen without some warranty

No.

Thus the "Maybe these guys would be willing to ship (or are close enough to drive to and pick up)."

There were two I linked in there that looked like they were in Toronto themselves. You had mentioned Toronto earlier, so I figured those could be fairly close, especially considering that Google Maps tells me that Toronto is only ~30 minutes from where you live.

Since you were talking about buying from the US and shipping it to you being too expensive, because of taxes, I found you domestic options, so you wouldn't have to do that. Just trying to help out...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
There were two I linked in there that looked like they were in Toronto themselves. You had mentioned Toronto earlier, so I figured those could be fairly close, especially considering that Google Maps tells me that Toronto is only ~30 minutes from where you live.

Wait what? You google map'd me? yea youre right tho, toronto is like 30 mins from me

Anyways, Id like to keep any potential deals local or in a way that me and the seller meet in person. But thanks anyways?