What is a good, cheap fuzz (or maybe overdrive) pedal for me to buy?

Genre: Mostly bluesy rock, but I would like to be able to get a Nirvana or similar sound.

Budget: As cheap as possible. I don't have much money, and am saving for a new amp, which brings me to

Gear: MIM Fender Strat, and a real shitty starter amp.

What would you guys suggest/?
Big Muff Pi or Proco Rat would probably work, but nothing's going to sound very good through a shitty starter amp. I hate to be "that guy" but you'd probably get a better result if you saved up for a new amp first...
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Cheap fuzz?

Danelectro French Toast. Sound is great, but the pedal is plastic and will most likely break with any intensive use. But, for about $20 each you can buy a box of them.
Last edited by iwannabesedated at Feb 12, 2012,
Quote by barden1069
Big Muff Pi or Proco Rat would probably work, but nothing's going to sound very good through a shitty starter amp. I hate to be "that guy" but you'd probably get a better result if you saved up for a new amp first...

I know. I just don't have the money now and when I play with my band I use a nicer amp at the drummers house anyway so my starter amp is really just for practice now.

Thanks for the advice on the pedals though
i've always thought that the boss ds-1 is kinda on the fuzzy side, because it's not the best distortion. i'm not saying to run out and buy it because it really isn't that great, but thats the nirvana tone, cobain used a ds-1 exclusively when recording.

+1 to the ProCo Rat though, that too can give off a pretty fuzzy distortion tone but it can clean up really well, and it's a much better pedal. I love my Rat
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
The Devi Ever 90 can do some pretty good Nirvana sounds, but you could defiently get cheaper. I've not tried the Danelectro French Toast but it sounds a pretty good bet to get you going for $20.

If your handy with a soldering iron you could always build a clone of a pedal if your on a budget?