Hey guys, I was wondering about boosting a Peavey Windsor to get a thrashy sound. Not necessarily for a brootz sound, but more of an Early Metallica/Megadeth/Annihilator sound. What's your take on boosting a low gain/mid gain amp?
throw a tubescreamer out front and you will be good. the winders are basically a JCM800 clone. there are literally less than 20 components that are different, which from what i have heard aren't terribly hard to mod to JCM800's.

in short add a tube screamer out front. thrash shouldn't be difficult out of that amp at all.

but if you are running the matching cab you are shooting yourself in the foot. the speakers suck as well as the cab.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
throw a tubescreamer out front and you will be good. the winders are basically a JCM800 clone. there are literally less than 20 components that are different, which from what i have heard aren't terribly hard to mod to JCM800's.

in short add a tube screamer out front. thrash shouldn't be difficult out of that amp at all.

but if you are running the matching cab you are shooting yourself in the foot. the speakers suck as well as the cab.

What if I were to use a B-52 LG 100 cab?
Quote by AsOneIStand
What if I were to use a B-52 LG 100 cab?

likely not ideal. i don't know much about B-52, but haven't heard anything great about them. its a budget cab, potentially MDF, if it has actualy real wood its a lot better. a good cab and speakers can make or break any amp.

for you i would recommend either V30's or T75's mixed with two V30's, or two V30 and two K100's (they are all celestion), but you can pick up a mesa cab with four V30's for ~$500, a marshall 1960a cab for ~$350-400 which have T75's. there is another cab that marshall makes with green backs, i would personally like to pick one up, the sound great.

IMO i would sell the cab and buy a new cab to be honest.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
likely not ideal. i don't know much about B-52, but haven't heard anything great about them. its a budget cab, potentially MDF, if it has actualy real wood its a lot better. a good cab and speakers can make or break any amp.

for you i would recommend either V30's or T75's mixed with two V30's, or two V30 and two K100's (they are all celestion), but you can pick up a mesa cab with four V30's for ~$500, a marshall 1960a cab for ~$350-400 which have T75's. there is another cab that marshall makes with green backs, i would personally like to pick one up, the sound great.

IMO i would sell the cab and buy a new cab to be honest.

So all in all, the 1960a cab with a boosted Peavey Windsor would be pretty decent?
Quote by AsOneIStand
So all in all, the 1960a cab with a boosted Peavey Windsor would be pretty decent?

i imagine so- assuming it takes a boost well. But I mean even the windsor on its own, when i tried it, could have more or less pulled off thrash. and it's more or less a jcm800, far as i'm aware, which is what most of those early thrash bands used (i think).

you're sort of talking about it like you're having to compromise- if anything you have almost the perfect kit for what you want (on a budget, anyway).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i imagine so- assuming it takes a boost well. But I mean even the windsor on its own, when i tried it, could have more or less pulled off thrash. and it's more or less a jcm800, far as i'm aware, which is what most of those early thrash bands used (i think).

you're sort of talking about it like you're having to compromise- if anything you have almost the perfect kit for what you want (on a budget, anyway).

Agreed. The Windsor (with the original preamp tube setup) is gainy enough to pull off thrash tones without any help.