Hey dudes, i'm looking into buying a new bridge pickup. I Currently have an EMG H4 in my bridge and i feel like it just can't cover enough tonal ranges. I want to be able to play any genre of music without being held back by my pickups. I heard good things about the DiMarzio Evolution pickup for versatility. Has anyone heard of anything better or worth checking out?

Thanks dudes,
Nor

EDIT:

Btw, i play a Schecter Damien 6
( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by Noreee at Feb 13, 2012,
The DiMarzio Evo is probably too hot to be that flexible if you ask me. Perhaps look for something with lower output? I'd rather suggest The Breed over the Evo if you want something more flexible.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by Shor
The DiMarzio Evo is probably too hot to be that flexible if you ask me. Perhaps look for something with lower output? I'd rather suggest The Breed over the Evo if you want something more flexible.

I'm playing a lot of metal and post-hardcore these days as well as other genres too. That's why i wanted a pickup that was a little on the hotter side. I'm playing rhythm guitar in a post-hardcore band currently.
( )( )
It's hard to give suitable pickup advice without knowing what amp you use and what (if any) pedals you use.

If you want true versatility then the best thing to go for is a scatterwound A4 pickup, wound to just-hotter-than-vintage output. With 42 AWG wire you should be in the right ball park so long as the DC resistance is somewhere between 8k and 10k. That should result in a pickup able to drive a valve amp a little harder than normal and with a great range of output in the volume knob, without ever going to crazy extremes; it'll retain a fair amount of output should you ever split it; an Alnico 4 magnet tends to give the most balanced response; scatterwinding means you'll get wider and more even response in humbucker mode.

Only problem is that scatterwound pickups do tend to cost a fair bit. Check out The Creamery (my go-to resource for scatterwound pickups) and Bare Knuckle Pickups (where everyone else goes) to get an idea of the many options and the sort of price range you're looking at with scatterwound pickups.

If you'd rather stick to what you can get off the shelf, the easiest thing to get strong, wide response is to install active pickups. A couple of EMG 89s, or an 89 and an 81-TW, offer the most options if you can install the push-pull pots needed to access their single coil modes. If you can't (or just don't care for single coil tones) then I recommend the EMG 60A-X, as the most natural sounding, clearest active pickup around.

Failing all that, you might want to look into:
  • Seymour Duncan P-Rail & Triple Shot mounting ring. Comes in a hot alnico 8 version and a regular alnico 5 version. Gives you normal single coil, P-90 and humbucker tones in one pickup.
  • Seymour Duncan JB. The most basic all-round pickup ever made. Can be a bit shrill in some guitars.
  • Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. More mellow than the JB, making it more suitable for some guitars, but it still has enough cut for modern styles of music.
  • DiMarzio Evo 2. Far more flexible than other high-output ceramic pickups, though like the regular Evo it can sound a little shrill in some guitars.
  • DiMarzio PAF Pro. You don't get any more basic than this. Very even and wide tone with good response across the board. but that does mean it's a little boring and it can't balance out a particularly dark or bright guitar.

Edit: okay, Schecter Damien 6 helps. So maple bolt-on neck, rosewood fretboard, basswood body and fixed bridge; for that, I'd advise the Evo 2 or Pearly Gates, or still a scatterwound A4 humbucker.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Feb 13, 2012,
https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=humbuckers

Check out the Vintage Hot series pickups. I have a set of Black Dog humbuckers in my Hagstrom Swede, and I can play a ton of styles with it. They're a bit pricey, but definiteyl worth the money IMO. Besides, you can get any pickup in any cover style (or with different colored coils).
Hagstrom Swede w/Bare Knuckle Black Dogs
Peavey JSX
Avatar Contemporary 2x12 (Celestion V30/G12K100)
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
Quote by Noreee
I'm playing a lot of metal and post-hardcore these days as well as other genres too. That's why i wanted a pickup that was a little on the hotter side. I'm playing rhythm guitar in a post-hardcore band currently.

The Breed is "a little on the hotter side"

The Evo isn't a versatile pickup, it's an out-and-out shredders pickup. It's voiced heavily towards the upper mids and treble side of things which makes it great for piercing leads but not so great for chuggy rhythms.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
EMG 81TWX/89X set, or a P-Rails set.

If you're not actually looking for true versatility, and just a good all around pickup set, I'd go for the SD Custom/'59, or DiMarzio D-Sonic/PAF Pro.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I wouldn't use an Evo for versatility. A little too compressed and smooth.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
I wouldn't use an Evo for versatility.

+1

or even an evo 2

out of the big names, the most versatile pickups i've tried are the custom 5 and the paf pro
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?