My M-Audio Fast Track MKII seems to have met the fate of every other. Every day I'm getting the really annoying blast of continuous white noise blaring into my ears as I'm enjoying something quietly. If anyone has a remedy to this issue (I haven't found anything yet) I would appreciate the knowledge, or at least something I can do to minimize it. I'm using it as a sound card through windows settings and my internal sound card is disabled and I'm running Windows 7 64x.

If anyone has any suggestions for another USB audio interface with XLR input, 1/4" input, and phantom power, I've appreciate it. Preferably in the 100-200 range, but if theres something worth saving more for, thats cool too. I just stumbled upon this, is it any good?
Last edited by RPGoof at Feb 13, 2012,
I have the fast track pro and I have yet to have any issues with it.
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
How about the Tascam US-122 MkII? That's what I have at least, and it does the job fine. You should research into it.

2 x XLR
2 x Line in
1 x headphones
MIDI I/O
Phantom power...
I use a lexicon lambda and it's been great, they make a reduced and simpler Lexicon alpha I think too!
If you get PreSonus, make sure you have a compatible FireWire or USB card. Check on their website for a tool that you can download to see if yours is compatible or not.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
Quote by RPGoof
My M-Audio Fast Track MKII seems to have met the fate of every other. Every day I'm getting the really annoying blast of continuous white noise blaring into my ears as I'm enjoying something quietly. If anyone has a remedy to this issue (I haven't found anything yet) I would appreciate the knowledge, or at least something I can do to minimize it. I'm using it as a sound card through windows settings and my internal sound card is disabled and I'm running Windows 7 64x.

Are you using powered speakers?
I had that exact same problem when I had a fast track. I couldn't figure anything out, so I ended up getting a new interface. Although you said you're looking in the 100-200 range, if you're willing to spend the extra money, the ProFire 610 works great. I've had it for about a year now, and haven't had any problems.
But it's firewire, and about $400. So I guess I just disregarded everything you said about what you're looking for haha either way - it's a good interface IMO
Write the music you want to hear.
I've just bought a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 as I was finding it difficult to record a good sound through my M Audio Fast Track. It's a lot better IMHO, much better recording results straight away and I ain't even messed around with different mic placements yet.
I can now use an sm57 and condensor mic to record my amp to laptop.
I used to have the same problem with my fast track i think, bursts of white noise right? Not like background hiss? The problem had something to do with Windows trying to save power and shutting down some services, i.e if you left the mouse alone for a while and played guitar a white noise burst blasted you when you least expected it. The solution is to change the settings for power managment in the Control Panel.
Quote by Quintex
Are you using powered speakers?

No I am not. I'm using headphones, specifically Sennheiser HD280 Pros.

Quote by Edox442
How about the Tascam US-122 MkII? That's what I have at least, and it does the job fine. You should research into it.

2 x XLR
2 x Line in
1 x headphones
MIDI I/O
Phantom power...

Looks like everything I could ever want, I'll check it out

Quote by surjer
I just skimmed the answers but this happens when I have the buffer set too low. Have you tried changing the buffer to a little higher latency?

I haven't experimented with that, I'll have to look into it.

Though, I just looked at the M-Audio control panel and it mentions input noise rather than output noise, in regards to latency issues.

Quote by jocke_x1
I used to have the same problem with my fast track i think, bursts of white noise right? Not like background hiss? The problem had something to do with Windows trying to save power and shutting down some services, i.e if you left the mouse alone for a while and played guitar a white noise burst blasted you when you least expected it. The solution is to change the settings for power managment in the Control Panel.

Yes, white noise. I'll look into the power settings as well, but it does happen while I'm simply going about my computer business and just listening to music, on the highest power settings available, but I'll still check it out.
Last edited by RPGoof at Feb 13, 2012,
Yeah, there should be a setting for ASIO control panel or something like that. Then a slider bar which to the left is lower latency and to the right is higher latency. You are probably setup too far to the left. The sound you are hearing (at least in my case) was the driver simply glitching out because of this setting.

EDIT: Also, if what you are hearing is what i think it is the technical term is called "Artifacts"
Last edited by surjer at Feb 13, 2012,
Quote by surjer
Yeah, there should be a setting for ASIO control panel or something like that. Then a slider bar which to the left is lower latency and to the right is higher latency. You are probably setup too far to the left. The sound you are hearing (at least in my case) was the driver simply glitching out because of this setting.

EDIT: Also, if what you are hearing is what i think it is the technical term is called "Artifacts"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1KaOrSuWZeM#t=7249s
This is what I would hear.

I moved the latency up a notch and it's improved tremendously. Every once in a while I hear a very, very short burst of white noise, but it's not even bad at all. Thanks guys!

It's come back. Earlier while playing music on Soundcloud, and pretty much 75% of the time I'm playing something in Guitar Pro (MIDI). Any ideas? I cranked the latency all the way and it's not helping.
Avid has failed everyone. time and again.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
If thats the case it could be your system doesnt have a whole lot of resources left and has too much going on for the sound drivers to keep up. You'll want to make sure you have over 50% disk space at least. Make sure you have plenty of RAM, get rid of all the pron applications etc.. Only keep on your pc what you need.. Take out the trash, if all else fails, reformat.

Sounds harsh but im pretty sure its a resource thing..
Quote by fastlanestoner
Avid has failed everyone. time and again.

Then why is Avid still the #1 in Pro studios? Sure, their rep is on the decline but PT still kicks the shit out of any other DAW I've used
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by surjer
If thats the case it could be your system doesnt have a whole lot of resources left and has too much going on for the sound drivers to keep up. You'll want to make sure you have over 50% disk space at least. Make sure you have plenty of RAM, get rid of all the pron applications etc.. Only keep on your pc what you need.. Take out the trash, if all else fails, reformat.

Sounds harsh but im pretty sure its a resource thing..

The thing is, I keep my computer in good shape. I'm running Win7 64x with 8 GB of DDR3 RAM of a sufficient speed, and an Intel Core2Duo processor OC'd to 1.7 Ghz. Obviously its not the best CPU (I compromised, I have a dedicated graphics card and got this laptop super cheap), but it's given me no issues running resource-intensive programs and VSTs with stuff running the background. I have no issues hanging out in a tinychat streaming video, editing Guitar Pro tabs, recording using ASIO drivers and chatting with friends on steam simultaneously. Disk space doesn't affect performance. And even then, I have the white noise issue when I'm simply streaming music online, not doing anything resources intensive.

It's completely random, it doesn't correlate with CPU lag or anything else, it just explodes in my ears.
Last edited by RPGoof at Mar 6, 2012,
I had that same issue with my Line 6 GX, never found a solution after looking meticulously through the Line 6 support forums and other forums. I ended up upgrading to the Focusrite Saffire 6 and never looked back; this interface is awesome and I highly recommend it.
Let's party.