Hi, fellas. My gf wanna learn guitar. So I'm looking for a nice guitar for her as Valentine day gift. (She's a smart girl and we're in Broomfield now, if it helps) My budget is around 150 bucks.
My research indicate that I can get this Dean Vendetta XMT Electric Guitar . How do u think about it? Is it a nice first guitar?? Any advice??
craigslist is your friend, unless your dead set on new...that'd be fine, but there are other models to be had..but, keep in mind, 150 bucks isnt going to get you much in the guitar world, unless you're Gregs1020...
Quote by Pan-Tallica
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
But theres no reason why i cant be free like a raspberry stuck to the back of a horny elephants ass.

This is maybe the worst comparison in the history of comparisons.
Buy a flying "V" for "valentine's day"

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well what kind of music does she want to play?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
if she wants to learn, get her an acoustic.

i don't know how far $150 will go over there as i work in £'s but a fender CD60 is a nice starter acoustic, i've got one and it's a pretty nice guitar to play.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Virginity day?

Makes sense.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Considering your tiny budget, I highly recommend buying used. Do you also need to buy an amplifier for her?
I've learned playing guitar on a Epiphone Les Paul Special II, great starter guitars! You can play everything on it.
Are you going to buy her an amp as well? If she is learning from scratch get her an acoustic Yamaha F310 then you don't need to worry about amplification and they are great starter guitars.

If you are getting an electric, yamaha pacificas are great for the price, they are good value new but dirt cheap used.
Quote by nerdofprey
Are you going to buy her an amp as well? If she is learning from scratch get her an acoustic Yamaha F310 then you don't need to worry about amplification and they are great starter guitars.

If you are getting an electric, yamaha pacificas are great for the price, they are good value new but dirt cheap used.

+1

by her an acoustic if you have no amp.
if you can find a yamaha, takamine, alvarez, or washburn (in that order)
with a cutout and in a thin body, that might help her feel more comfy holding the guitar.

or if you have a little amp for her, then get a used electirc, and
go with the style of music she likes to play.

for example, dont get her a single coil strat if she loves the looks of LPs,
or metal and needs humbuckers.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Controlpanel
craigslist is your friend, unless your dead set on new...that'd be fine, but there are other models to be had..but, keep in mind, 150 bucks isnt going to get you much in the guitar world, unless you're Gregs1020...

Knowing him he'd end up with a 59 Les Paul for that price
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
I disagree with the Acoustic suggestions for the simple reason that, dollar for dollar, an electric will be easier to play (and thus easier to learn on) than an acoustic.

And el-cheapo practice amps are a dime a dozen...

If you can't fine a nice used beginner amp and guitar for $150, you're not looking very hard. They flood Craigslist on a daily basis.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I disagree with the Acoustic suggestions for the simple reason that, dollar for dollar, an electric will be easier to play (and thus easier to learn on) than an acoustic.

If you can't fine a nice used beginner amp and guitar for $150, you're not looking very hard. They flood Craigslist on a daily basis.

imo completely depends on her style of play.
and preferred music.
which I'm guessing is some sort of rock,
based on the dean, but no way to know.

for some styles it's much easier to learn on
acoustic vs electric.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by Arby911

I would rather have a nice sounding budget acoustic (like a yamaha) than a cheapy starter pack guitar with a nasty practice amp. Electric might be easier to play in some respects, however not everyone wants to spend time messing with an amp when they first start playing, especially if it is an amp that is impossible to get nice sounds out of!

Something that sounds nice is always going to be better to learn on, even if it hurts your fingers at first!
Quote by nerdofprey

Something that sounds nice is always going to be better to learn on, even if it hurts your fingers at first!

Why do you think most people quit?

Here's a hint. It's not because they become instant tone snobs as soon as they lay hands on an inexpensive amp/guitar package.

Hell, most beginners can't tell the difference. If it's even close it sounds fine, at least until you get a good bit more experience and of course once that happens you're already on the pathway.

But if it's painful, they will bail in a heartbeat.
Charles Darwin
For $150 you can actually get her something pretty decent. Craigslist is full of good deals usually. If you want brand new then this site is your best friend.
http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

Ive owned 3 guitars from here and ive been pretty happy with them. Ive gotten a lot better guitars for $150 from rondo than ive gotten from ibanez for $400. My $89 SX hawk didnt sound as good as my $400 RG5EX1 or my $300 Art100 but pickups are easy and cheap to replace if you go to guitarfetish.com but where the SX Hawk was superior was the fretwork. Both of the ibanez had bad fretwork and rough spots where as my Hawk didnt have the greatest fretwork but it much nicer than the Ibanez guitars and they were extra jumbo which made playing even easier. You might also want to consider getting a Squier, if you can find a Squire CV or at least a Standard for $100 - $150 you would be set.
Quote by Arby911

Here's a hint. It's not because they become instant tone snobs as soon as they lay hands on an inexpensive amp/guitar package.

Hell, most beginners can't tell the difference. If it's even close it sounds fine, at least until you get a good bit more experience and of course once that happens you're already on the pathway.

I think most people quit because they don't see see progress quickly enough or because they underestimated the effort required to learn a musical instrument. You would have to be pretty lame to quit because of sore fingers, acoustics don't hurt your fingers that much, although I am a female and we do have higher pain thresholds than men!
Quote by Arby911

see that's why i emphasized that her style and music choice, matter most of all.

when i picked up guitar after a 5 year hiatus from bass.
i started with acoustic, because i liked rhythm playing and

a lot of the songs i liked, sound better on acoustic.

i'm sure that's why i stuck with it for omg, a really long time now.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by nerdofprey
I think most people quit because they don't see see progress quickly enough or because they underestimated the effort required to learn a musical instrument. You would have to be pretty lame to quit because of sore fingers, acoustics don't hurt your fingers that much, although I am a female and we do have higher pain thresholds than men!

+1 every student i have ever had drop has been because they aren't moving fast enough for their liking. they are lazy and don't practice and expect skill to develop magically.

if she wants to learn, she will, be it on acoustic or electric.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
look at guitar center used guitars. you can get some nice guitars for really cheap i got a line 6 75 watt amp for 90$ that normally 250
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+1 every student i have ever had drop has been because they aren't moving fast enough for their liking. they are lazy and don't practice and expect skill to develop magically.

if she wants to learn, she will, be it on acoustic or electric.

I'm sure, given the positive mental attitude that you've presented above, that you made learning so fun and interesting that it would be difficult to quit your lessons...

/sarcasm
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I'm sure, given the positive mental attitude that you've presented above, that you made learning so fun and interesting that it would be difficult to quit your lessons...

/sarcasm

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Arby911

/sarcasm

i will even laugh to that. sometimes i don't have the best personality. i will admit.

i have two students nearing or over the year mark with me. i have two that seem to be hanging on and doing well, but are still relatively new (4-8 months maybe). then i get a rotation of students as most teachers get that the students are of the mentality mentioned above.

there are students that i don't mesh well with, what becomes of it becomes of it. i am always respectful. they find a new teacher who would possibly mesh with them better so they can learn better.

as far as i am concerned at the $25 for an hour lesson, four to five a week makes some nice extra cash.

its something i enjoy doing and the older students i have (high school) are fun to teach, as well as the guy i have who is probably 40 something, we have a good time.

if you teach and you try to teach to the extent of your abilities you will learn more and more about yourself and your playing in the process.

as far as i am concerned when i was 12 or 13 and learning to play guitar i went through three different teachers in the first year until i found the right one, i took lessons with him for a year and only had two lessons since then (i am 22 in March).
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/