Page 1 of 2
I've been considering switching the Duncans in my Les Paul out for some Bare Knucle Pickups because I've been hearing a lot of good things and I've thought about putting something with a bit more output in my guitar. I play lead guitar in a Metal band, but I also play everything ranging from Blues (SRV, Clapton, CCR) to Rock (AC/DC, GNR, Motley Crue, Led Zeppelin) to Punk (Social Distortion, Green Day, The Offspring) to Heavy Metal (Maiden, Priest, Sabbath) to Modern Metal (Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Lazarus A.D.).

I don't know a lot about BKPs pups, but looking through them, I was thinking a Cold Sweat in the Bridge and an Emerald in the Neck. Sound like a good combo? I like a lot of Treble in my tone (nothing ear-piercing or harsh) and I don't like too much bass, but some. I also want the pickups to be a bit scooped so that I can get good rhythm tones and just kick in a mid boost when I do leads.

If you could rate my combo idea, give your own suggestion(s), and give good reasoning, that would be awesome. All of my gear is in my sig, budget is basically whatever a set of BKPs would run, area is pointless because nobody here sells any music-related equipment that's worthwhile, and used is fine.
BKP are nice, but I dont think they are worth the $$ here in the US, unless you buy them second hand.
There are plenty of US pickup makers that will custom make you a set of pickups for less.

Like I said they are nice, but it is like someone from the US suggesting Avatar cabs or Schecter guitars to someone in the UK.....They are almost double the price.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You won't find many used BKPs anywhere really but it's Definately worthwhile.
I'd try out a combination of the abraxas neck and nailbomb bridge.
I always liked a Cold Sweat in the neck with a Nailbomb in the bridge. However if you want a smoother and grittier sound, you could run with a Nailbomb in the neck and a Cold Sweat in the bridge. Either combo works well.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Robbgnarly
BKP are nice, but I dont think they are worth the $$ here in the US, unless you buy them second hand.
There are plenty of US pickup makers that will custom make you a set of pickups for less.

Who would you rec over BKP?
Quote by Robbgnarly

Like I said they are nice, but it is like someone from the US suggesting Avatar cabs or Schecter guitars to someone in the UK.....They are almost double the price.

actually... they're a pretty similar price to what they are in the UK.

But everything else is so much cheaper in the US that the end result is the same
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I love the Nailbomb in the neck of my LP. Just a perfect with any amount of gain. Nailbomb bridge is good, though I wish it were a bit brighter and more open sounding. Should've gotten the Alnico bridge (though I actually ordered the Alnico and my order was screwed up, twice).
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I don't really want Nailbombs for the same reason that I don't really want a 6505, and that's because everyone seems to have them. Any time I hear BKP mentioned, it's usually Nailbombs. That means they are obviously a great pickup, but I don't like just going with what everyone else has.
Btw, the biggest reason I'm changing my pickups is to increase output and because BKP seems to have higher quality and they are scatterwound. I like my Pearly Gates's sound, but I would like something a bit hotter. The Cold Sweat and Pearly Gates have about the same EQ to them (B6 M5 T9), so I thought it would be a good option. Then, I like the AlNiCo II Pro, but it's a bit bassy and needs some more mids, so the Emerald seemed like a good option when comparing the EQ's (B7 M4 T8 vs B4 M6 T7)
It's because Nailbombs are a killer pickup. Not getting them solely for the reason that lots of other people use them is silly. As is buying a pickup because it's scatter wound. If all you want is more output, use a boost.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
It's because Nailbombs are a killer pickup. Not getting them solely for the reason that lots of other people use them is silly. As is buying a pickup because it's scatter wound. If all you want is more output, use a boost.

They may be a great pickup, just like the 6505 is a great amp, but they aren't for everyone, just like a 6505 isn't for everyone. The Nailbombs' ceramic version has a similar EQ to what I want, but with less treble, which is my favorite aspect of the Pearly Gates. Then, I want a different neck pickup because the cleans on my AlNiCo II Pro aren't quite what I want and they lack some mids that I would like them to have. Plus, I might want to put my Duncans in another one of my guitars to improve it's sound. Like I said, I really like those pickups but would like more output from them and the Neck pup isn't quite what I want for this guitar. I'm also going to buy a Gibson V at some point in the future, and I might wait on buying these pups and get them for that instead.
If you don't have a really nice amp, you won't be able to appreciate the subtle nuances that make BKP's so expensive.

SD's or DiMarzios will get you most of the way there anyway.

Also, cut out the "popular" gear bullshit. It's dumb. Nothing in your sig is unique anyway.

Look into the SD Custom/'59 set. It should give you a little more output all around from what you have, without going overboard.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a Miracle Man neck and NailBomb bridge in a V. They have a tone with as much balls as my Les Paul with a distortion Mayhem SD set, but they can handle an incredible amount of gain while retaining their clarity for a passive. I play standard and Drop-D with all strings tuned down a half step. The one thing I like about their pickups is that when you switch from the neck to bridge or vice versa, your guitar can sound like a dramatically different....depending on what set you put together.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Last edited by Washburnd Fretz at Feb 13, 2012,
Quote by Offworld92
If you don't have a really nice amp, you won't be able to appreciate the subtle nuances that make BKP's so expensive.

SD's or DiMarzios will get you most of the way there anyway.

Also, cut out the "popular" gear bullshit. It's dumb. Nothing in your sig is unique anyway.

Look into the SD Custom/'59 set. It should give you a little more output all around from what you have, without going overboard.

I didn't say I wanted to be unique, because nothing is unique. I said I don't want to jump on the bandwagon of getting Nailbombs. Also, I would say the Vengeance is a really nice amp. It's not botique or anything, but if I have to spend more than 1200 to make the pickups actually sound good, I would say the pickups aren't worth it period.
Quote by Blktiger0
Btw, the biggest reason I'm changing my pickups is to increase output and because BKP seems to have higher quality and they are scatterwound. I like my Pearly Gates's sound, but I would like something a bit hotter. The Cold Sweat and Pearly Gates have about the same EQ to them (B6 M5 T9), so I thought it would be a good option. Then, I like the AlNiCo II Pro, but it's a bit bassy and needs some more mids, so the Emerald seemed like a good option when comparing the EQ's (B7 M4 T8 vs B4 M6 T7)
You are REALLY getting caught up in marketing.

I guarantee you that the Cold Sweat will sound absolutely nothing like a Pearly Gates, regardless of what the tone charts say.

If you want a hotter version of what you have now, get a clean boost.
Bandwagons exist for a reason. We recommend things here on UG for a reason. Because the product is good. There's nothing wrong with getting a popular piece of gear if it does what you want.

I'm kind of the odd man out, but I honestly think BKP's are not worth the money. I own a Mule, and after all the amazing things I've heard about BKP, I am not impressed. I'd rather just have an SD '59 for less than half the price.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Bandwagons exist for a reason. We recommend things here on UG for a reason. Because the product is good. There's nothing wrong with getting a popular piece of gear if it does what you want.

I'm kind of the odd man out, but I honestly think BKP's are not worth the money. I own a Mule, and after all the amazing things I've heard about BKP, I am not impressed. I'd rather just have an SD '59 for less than half the price.

Ya, their lower output pickups are kind of a disappointment. WCR, Wolfetone, Lollar, etc. are way better for those tones. They make killer mid-high output pickups though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Offworld92

You do know that the mules are designed to be flat and generally very PAF-ish right? Which means to say that other than the quality of materials, it's nothing more than a PAF replica that's scatterwound.

The Mule is quite lacking in character unlike the other pickups.

Quote by al112987
You are REALLY getting caught up in marketing.

I guarantee you that the Cold Sweat will sound absolutely nothing like a Pearly Gates, regardless of what the tone charts say.

If you want a hotter version of what you have now, get a clean boost.

The tone charts just give you a rough approximation of the sound of the pup. It does account for things like frequency focus, response, sensitivity, transparency etc etc. All in, tone charts probably only tell you 10% of what you can expect the pickup to sound like.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Feb 13, 2012,
Quote by Offworld92

Bandwagons exist for one or more of three reasons:

1. The product is actually good and delivers above and beyond.

2. People want others to think they know what they're talking about, so they recommend something they have no experience with just because they've heard it recommended before.

3. People see one person has them and they like what that person has so they buy it without trying other options, then they rant and rave about it.

You just said you only have tried the Mule, yet you bashed me for not getting the Nailbombs because they're awesome. I'm glad you are giving me your opinion of them from you owning them and not from you bandwagoning.

mmolteratx, on the other hand, has every right to tell me they are worth it and are a good choice, since he owns them and has extensive experience with them. However, should he say they are better than the Cold Sweat/Emerald combo, I would expect him to back that up with some experience, not just because he heard someone else say their opinion of the combo.
The bandwagon thing was just a general thing, not specific to the Nailbomb. You seemed kind of zealous about not getting popular stuff.

I haven't personally used their other pickups, but I have heard them, and I still hold to my stance that they aren't worth what they cost.

Keep in mind, I never said they weren't good, per se, just that I would rather spend $50-70 on "normal" pickups than how much BKP's cost. I don't think they give enough "more" to constitute how much more they cost, especially in the case where you don't have a super nice amp to constitute the costs.

Just throwing my opinions out there for you to consider. Sorry that I came off a bit strong.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
i'd get bg pickups hella buckers for an lp.

with a smokestack in the neck.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
"Hi, I have an extremely versatile taste in music, where I shall name Guns N' Roses, Clapton, Green Day, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Lamb of God. Nailbombs? I hear they're incredible but I don't like to run with the crowd."
Reaching out to embrace the random,
Reaching out to embrace whatever may come.
Quote by guarana
"Hi, I have an extremely versatile taste in music, where I shall name Guns N' Roses, Clapton, Green Day, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, and Lamb of God. Nailbombs? I hear they're incredible but I don't like to run with the crowd."

Because everyone knows that your taste in music and your own personal tone go hand in hand. What's that? You like bands that are popular? Oh, well you should buy stuff that everyone else buys and make sure your rig sounds exactly like theirs. They like Iron Maiden and you like Iron Maiden, so you should buy the same rig they have. Hell, use their EQ settings too while you're at it.

Min, I'll take a look at those
buying something different because "everybody has it" is stupid as far as i am concerned. buy what fits you best.

i have emailed back and forth with the BG guy a few times in the last year or so, but didn't make a solid decision. AM helped tilt the table toward them when i heard the hellabucker that i haven't considered for a while. BG has a great rep as well.

i have no experiance with BKP, and probably wont. there are a lot of other companies that produce the same just aren't well known, just like BG. i don't really want to drop~$300 on pickups on my LP, when i could be equally happy with BG's or dimarzios (on my ibby) for half the price.

again this goes back to the whole guitar wood 10%, tone pickups 20%, amp and pedals with combined 70%.

i wont cheap out on an amp. a grand/two/three on an amp. luckily i found splawn. they are cheap and trump everything similar in the price bracket IMO.

/$.02
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Just get the ****ing nailbomb. Don't not get something because everyone else has one, hipster.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Feb 14, 2012,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
buying something different because "everybody has it" is stupid as far as i am concerned. buy what fits you best.

i have emailed back and forth with the BG guy a few times in the last year or so, but didn't make a solid decision. AM helped tilt the table toward them when i heard the hellabucker that i haven't considered for a while. BG has a great rep as well.

i have no experiance with BKP, and probably wont. there are a lot of other companies that produce the same just aren't well known, just like BG. i don't really want to drop~$300 on pickups on my LP, when i could be equally happy with BG's or dimarzios (on my ibby) for half the price.

again this goes back to the whole guitar wood 10%, tone pickups 20%, amp and pedals with combined 70%.

i wont cheap out on an amp. a grand/two/three on an amp. luckily i found splawn. they are cheap and trump everything similar in the price bracket IMO.

/$.02

You mean like the part where I said the Cold Sweat has the same EQ as my Pearly Gates, but with more output? Then the part where my complaint about the AlNiCo II Pro is too much bass and not enough mids, so I went for the Emerald? Or did you mean get what fits me best as in get what pcikup everyone else gets from BKP?

As far as I'm concerned, I'll be getting the original combo I stated unless I like the combo Min suggested more.

/thread

EDIT: After listening to all the clips another dozen or so times, I think I'm actually gonna get the VHII for the bridge because it sounds a little more full and has a little more bass than the Emerald, which almost has too little bass.
Last edited by Blktiger0 at Feb 14, 2012,
Quote by Blktiger0
You mean like the part where I said the Cold Sweat has the same EQ as my Pearly Gates, but with more output? Then the part where my complaint about the AlNiCo II Pro is too much bass and not enough mids, so I went for the Emerald? Or did you mean get what fits me best as in get what pcikup everyone else gets from BKP?

As far as I'm concerned, I'll be getting the original combo I stated unless I like the combo Min suggested more.

/thread

EDIT: After listening to all the clips another dozen or so times, I think I'm actually gonna get the VHII for the bridge because it sounds a little more full and has a little more bass than the Emerald, which almost has too little bass.

if you think that that is the best decision, go for it. as far as i am concerned i don't focus too much of the "EQ" ratings of a pickup. there are too many other variables to publish a single set of numbers. an RG is going to be a lot different than an LP, so is it still 5/8/3 bmt or whatever.

i have heard of people contacting somebody from bare knuckle pickups and getting opinions from either a retailer, distributer or the company themselves. they know them better than everybody else.

don't expect it to sound like your pearly gates just with a little more kick. they probably wont. they will probably sound better to you though. if you like so much what you are getting but it doesn't have an output high enough for you, get a clean boost.

min has great taste for tone, but don't let a single person's opinion sway you past a certain point (not even my personal opinion).

if you think that will sound best go for them. i would try to see if you could contact them (BKP) directly for their recommendation.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
i haven't tried either, but i always thought the vh2 had the rep of being bright and the emerald had teh rep of being dark

don't go by the eq charts on teh BKP site. At all.

There's some info about how they were made up on the forum somewhere. basically... they're not much use when comparing different pickups. is the gist of it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if you think that that is the best decision, go for it. as far as i am concerned i don't focus too much of the "EQ" ratings of a pickup. there are too many other variables to publish a single set of numbers. an RG is going to be a lot different than an LP, so is it still 5/8/3 bmt or whatever.

i have heard of people contacting somebody from bare knuckle pickups and getting opinions from either a retailer, distributer or the company themselves. they know them better than everybody else.

don't expect it to sound like your pearly gates just with a little more kick. they probably wont. they will probably sound better to you though. if you like so much what you are getting but it doesn't have an output high enough for you, get a clean boost.

min has great taste for tone, but don't let a single person's opinion sway you past a certain point (not even my personal opinion).

if you think that will sound best go for them. i would try to see if you could contact them (BKP) directly for their recommendation.

Exactly. I emailed BKP, told them what genres I wanted to play and what characteristics I wanted out of my pups...along with information about the guitar I was installing them into and Tim gave me a recommendation that made me happy.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Quote by Blktiger0
Bandwagons exist for one or more of three reasons:

1. The product is actually good and delivers above and beyond.

2. People want others to think they know what they're talking about, so they recommend something they have no experience with just because they've heard it recommended before.

3. People see one person has them and they like what that person has so they buy it without trying other options, then they rant and rave about it.

You just said you only have tried the Mule, yet you bashed me for not getting the Nailbombs because they're awesome. I'm glad you are giving me your opinion of them from you owning them and not from you bandwagoning.

mmolteratx, on the other hand, has every right to tell me they are worth it and are a good choice, since he owns them and has extensive experience with them. However, should he say they are better than the Cold Sweat/Emerald combo, I would expect him to back that up with some experience, not just because he heard someone else say their opinion of the combo.

so you've just answered your own question mate, get a set of NailBombs. Theyre very good pickup and exactly what you need judging by your first post. So dont be giving shit to people on here when theyre actually giving you good advice rather than just sit there like "BUT EVERYONE USES THEM, I DONT WANT TO BE IN A BANDWAGON"
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
+1 on contacting BKP and/or asking on the forum
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1 on contacting BKP and/or asking on the forum

This. I asked about Strat pickups on the BKP forum AND emailed Tim (the owner/main guy) and they really new their stuff and helped a lot.

I'm quite sure that a kind chap by the name of Dave MC helped me out a lot too
Quote by Blktiger0

/thread

Again, are you basing this off tone charts? That is marketing hype and BS. Don't go by them. They do not give you even close to a picture on what these things sound like. The same EQ as your Seymour Duncan? Wtf does that even mean? Because Bareknuckle put a chart on the their site saying that it has Treble - 9, Mids - 5, Bass - 6? Or something like that? Those numbers are completely arbitrary, there is no standardized pickup EQ guide. It's a wholeheartedly, unscientific and arbitrary "measurement". What does Mids - 5 even mean? Is that a lot or a little?

Do not get caught up in marketing BS like this. If you want actual insight, go send an email to Tim Mills and ask him about it yourself. He's a nice guy, he wants to sell you his product and will tell you what he recommends. Both Seymour Duncan and Bareknuckle need to get rid of their "tone charts".
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 14, 2012,
^ actually... i think BKP resisted putting up a tone chart for ages because of that. They only relented because everyone complained that they didn't have one, i think

Quote by itamar100
This. I asked about Strat pickups on the BKP forum AND emailed Tim (the owner/main guy) and they really new their stuff and helped a lot.

I'm quite sure that a kind chap by the name of Dave MC helped me out a lot too

they know a ton more than i do
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah you can't compare each companies pickups but you can kinda compare a companies scale between their pickups. Basically if the chart said more bass than another then that's just talking about the pickups they offer. Still though, that doesn't mean they aren't voiced differently even though the charts say they are similar. Yeah, just email them and you'll get an alright response.

Every time I asked I didn't really get what I was looking for so I just go by what users say and see if my guitar has the same specs as theirs.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
I have listened to all of the clips on BKP's site and out of their high output stuff, I liked the Cold Sweats the most. The reason I checked them out to begin with was the tone chart because they had a similar EQ to the Pearly Gates. Not because I thought they would sound the same with higher gain, but because they were quoted with a similar response in the bass, middle, and treble. When listening to those and the Nailbombs, I prefer the Cold Sweat clips. The fact that everyone seems to have the Nailbombs was just an additional turnoff. If I liked them more, I would buy them, but considering I like the sound of the Cold Sweats more, I wanted those instead. Honestly, the biggest difference between the two in terms of the clips is the treble response of both. There are other differences, but that is the one that stood out the most to my ears.

As for the VHII being brighter and the Emerald being darker, it makes perfect sense that I like the VHII, as I like a brighter sound.

I'll probably post something on their forums and ask Tim what he thinks as well, but so far I'll be getting this set for a Gibson Flying V unless I'm absolutely in love with the sound it has stock, in which case I might still get them and put them in my LP or I might just forget the whole thing.
If you like the sound of the CS more than that's great but still, not being interested something just because it's well liked is just dumb. Your missing out if yo u do this with everything.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Quote by kylendm
If you like the sound of the CS more than that's great but still, not being interested something just because it's well liked is just dumb. Your missing out if yo u do this with everything.

I wouldn't completely avoid buying something just because it's a popular product. That is dumb. However, if I like another product more, that might help reinforce the dislike of the product.

For example, Justin Beiber is probably not your choice of music. You like whatever you listen to more because you like the sound more, but the fact that every annoying 9 year old girl seems to love him doesn't help the concept of you disliking him. You don't dislike his music because of the 9 y/o gilrs liking him, but that helps you like it less.

I think the Nailbombs are a great pickup. I think the Cold Sweats sound better. I also like to try stuff that's not the normal thing to go for. Not for the sake of being different, but for the sake of seeing if something new could come of it. For example, I had a thread about plugging my guitar into the input of the first effect in my loop and leaving the loop plugged into the return on my amp. I asked if it would hurt my amp and what it might do and basically got that it would pretty much bypass my entire preamp and it would be like I was using a hybrid amp with only a tube power section. It would be pointless and probably sound bad. I still wanted to try it just to see if the sound was something I might want to use.

Another example: Most people have their pedal chain go Guitar>Wah>Distortion/OD but some people like it with the OD/Dist in front of the Wah. I, like most people, like my wah first. However, I still tried it the other way to see if it sounded better. Not because I wanted to be different, but because it might make a new sound that I might want to use.

One last example. You are trying a bunch of new guitars because you want to buy one. You get it down to two that you really like but you can't pick between the two. One of them is red and the other is blue. Turns out, your favorite color is red, so you go with the red one. You didn't go in and pick it just because it was red, but that was considered in your decision.

Does that help clear this up?

It's like a wise woman has always told me: if you go your whole life only ever eating the Orange Skittles, how do you know that Purple isn't your favorite?
Quote by Blktiger0
I wouldn't completely avoid buying something just because it's a popular product. That is dumb. However, if I like another product more, that might help reinforce the dislike of the product.

For example, Justin Beiber is probably not your choice of music. You like whatever you listen to more because you like the sound more, but the fact that every annoying 9 year old girl seems to love him doesn't help the concept of you disliking him. You don't dislike his music because of the 9 y/o gilrs liking him, but that helps you like it less.

I think the Nailbombs are a great pickup. I think the Cold Sweats sound better. I also like to try stuff that's not the normal thing to go for. Not for the sake of being different, but for the sake of seeing if something new could come of it. For example, I had a thread about plugging my guitar into the input of the first effect in my loop and leaving the loop plugged into the return on my amp. I asked if it would hurt my amp and what it might do and basically got that it would pretty much bypass my entire preamp and it would be like I was using a hybrid amp with only a tube power section. It would be pointless and probably sound bad. I still wanted to try it just to see if the sound was something I might want to use.

Another example: Most people have their pedal chain go Guitar>Wah>Distortion/OD but some people like it with the OD/Dist in front of the Wah. I, like most people, like my wah first. However, I still tried it the other way to see if it sounded better. Not because I wanted to be different, but because it might make a new sound that I might want to use.

One last example. You are trying a bunch of new guitars because you want to buy one. You get it down to two that you really like but you can't pick between the two. One of them is red and the other is blue. Turns out, your favorite color is red, so you go with the red one. You didn't go in and pick it just because it was red, but that was considered in your decision.

Does that help clear this up?

It's like a wise woman has always told me: if you go your whole life only ever eating the Orange Skittles, how do you know that Purple isn't your favorite?

obviously you are closed minded at this point and no matter what says anything is wasting their time.

bringing in topics that are uncommon that you like doesn't mean a damn thing. it just says i prefer this. well do what you like. every once in a while i run wah after OD too, we are not the only people. but that doesn't cost me a penny other than if i could have spent that time making money. however those pickups will catch you for $300. i can throw that around if i want to, its not a big deal.

going on other's experience is the closest thing than having experience itself take the advice for what is worth.

buy what you want, be ignorant and do what you are doing. but i personally go for the best experience i can find.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Dimarzio are better....

What do you think the BKPs are rewinds of?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Page 1 of 2