I'm thinking about buying a PRS SE Custom, I tried one out in the shop and they were pretty hot, anyone have any opinions on them?
I've felt the previous SEs were built fairly well, but for the price you can get much better elsewhere and I was never too happy with them being flattops. I am keen to try out the new 2012 models though, whenever they start shipping out - bevelled tops and blade switches are a big improvement. Still not sure if they're going to be worth the price tag given you can get guitars of equal build quality, with the same parts for half the price from other brands, but we'll see.

In short, I would wait for the updated models to come in. They should be considerably nicer than the current ones.

Also I really think it is worth stressing again that for the price of a MIK PRS SE you can get a second hand MIA or MIJ guitar (or even a new MIA guitar if you look at the Fender/Gibson Juniors, Specials and Studios, or even the PRS Mira).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I used to have a Gibson LP studio but sold it, I currently have a Gibson SG and a Fender Tele so wanted something a bit different
I've played several, most of them have felt pretty nice. I played a Santana SE that was ridiculously smooth. IMO they are a good buy for the money. (Especially used)
never played one. apparently real nice, no shop i know around melbourne (or that ive been to) sell em..
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by controlledchaos
I used to have a Gibson LP studio but sold it, I currently have a Gibson SG and a Fender Tele so wanted something a bit different

Maybe get something with P90s then?
Or a semi-hollowbody?
Or a semi with P90s?

What I'd recommend looking at:
Fender: Strat, Jazzmaster
Gibson: Les Paul/SG Jr., 50's and 60's Tribute LP/SG, Midtown Custom/Standard

Or maybe something like a Charvel or EVH Wolfgang if you want a Floyd Rose guitar.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by controlledchaos
Then there's really not much point in you buying a PRS SE. Any SE is going to feel like a downgrade from the SG and won't offer much different, unless you happened to get one of the old semi-hollow models with P-90s (and even then, in terms of objective quality the SE will still be noticably inferior).

So you know, the PRS equivilent of a Gibson SG, both in terms of quality and sound, is the PRS Mira.

If you've had a LP, you've got an SG and a Tele and want something else, try a Strat, or a Jazzmaster, or a Jaguar, or an archtop. There's a thousand and one other types of guitar out there which will give you something that your current guitars do, more so than any PRS SE will.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
You are all wrong.

The only correct answer in this thread is:

2nd hand PRS CE

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
You are all wrong.

The only correct answer in this thread is:

2nd hand PRS CE
Weren't they A) bolt-ons, thus vastly changing the character of the PRS style, and B) about a grand and a half new? On the off-chance you find one second hand I can't imagine you'd find it for the same sort of price as the SE line.
Says a man who clearly never played one...

They had a deep set bolt on so they felt the same to play apart from the gloriously done unfinished neck, they are practically identical tonally and they go for well under £1k in the UK and for even less usually in the states, like for something daft like $800-1600.

They are fantastic guitars and are on par with the "real" customs and the like.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Jesus christ, no need for the hostilities, I never said I'd played one, hence why I was asking.

Anyhoo, looking on eBay right now, second hand CEs are between £800 and £1,200 (including a rather tasty candy purple one. Never knew PRS did that finish. Don't suppose anybody fancies getting me a late christmas present? No? Shame). That's a fair way off SE prices. I mean, that's still more than a brand new Mira.
Quote by controlledchaos
I'm thinking about buying a PRS SE Custom, I tried one out in the shop and they were pretty hot, anyone have any opinions on them?

I'd wait for the 2012 model, it's got quite a few upgrades as stated a bit above. Semi-carved top instead of flat, bird inlays, and coil split. Can't wait for it tbh, I hope to get my hands on one when they come out in Europe.
PRS SE Custom 22 <3
Fender Stratocaster '57 RI
Fender Super Champ XD
Tanglewood TW115 CW
Quote by MrFlibble
Jesus christ, no need for the hostilities, I never said I'd played one, hence why I was asking.

Anyhoo, looking on eBay right now, second hand CEs are between £800 and £1,200 (including a rather tasty candy purple one. Never knew PRS did that finish. Don't suppose anybody fancies getting me a late christmas present? No? Shame). That's a fair way off SE prices. I mean, that's still more than a brand new Mira.

What hostilities?

They are a pricier, but not a lot, I mean a Toreo is what like £900? Mental money IMO

If you want cheap PRS, eBay is the wrong place to look check out birds and moons and your GAS will go mental.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The Torero is a badly delievered joke, as far as I'm concerned.

Hmm, PRS galleries do give me some degree of GAS, but they don't make enough guitars in purple. Everything's bloody yellow or red with them. I like my guitars to look fab-u-lous~!

(No seriously I am a flaming queen when it comes to guitars these days)

I know you can get the CEs in a few very tasty Solid colours they did and the purple one was nice.

I think the Toreo was a knee jerk reaction and the mongs that demanded a guitar like that didnt really buy them when they came out. Personally I would take a used Ce with locking tuners and PRS trem which is more than stable for my trem usage... I think the toreo was the neck paul allender guitar that never happened...

They also just feel completely dead.

Dreadful guitars.

Shame because when the CU22/24 first came out they were only like £449 which was a steal.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Are the 2011 pickups the same as the 2012 pickups just with coil tapping?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by Tom 1.0

I know you can get the CEs in a few very tasty Solid colours they did and the purple one was nice.

I think the Toreo was a knee jerk reaction and the mongs that demanded a guitar like that didnt really buy them when they came out. Personally I would take a used Ce with locking tuners and PRS trem which is more than stable for my trem usage... I think the toreo was the neck paul allender guitar that never happened...

They also just feel completely dead.

Dreadful guitars.

Shame because when the CU22/24 first came out they were only like £449 which was a steal.

I was going to get one for a time. They felt ok, but nothing special in the slightest. Way overpriced. I'm not sure what you mean by being completely 'dead' though. As in acoustically?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Dead.

Flat, no personality, boring when amplified and flat when played acoustically, all the SEs have an essence of the real PRS feel about them, the toreo doesnt to me.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Dead.

Flat, no personality, boring when amplified and flat when played acoustically, all the SEs have an essence of the real PRS feel about them, the toreo doesnt to me.

I know what you mean. I'd mistake it for a Schecter Hellraiser as well.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Tom 1.0
Says a man who clearly never played one...

They had a deep set bolt on so they felt the same to play apart from the gloriously done unfinished neck, they are practically identical tonally and they go for well under £1k in the UK and for even less usually in the states, like for something daft like $800-1600.

They are fantastic guitars and are on par with the "real" customs and the like.

I will second this, and also recommend the old PRS EG models, especially the ones with Fralin "domino" pickups.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
I've had mine for 4 years and have beat the living hell out of it but it still is solid as the day I got it. Sounds great and insanely reliable.
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
one of the best steals in teh industry if you grab one used.

ive seen em go used for 350. with some mods i would totall rock one - think the carve on the body is superior to a les paul and much lighter. surprising high quality for a lower end asian guitar.

i dont like the controls except for the 245 - a les paul 4 knob style.

i would be really happy with a SE 245, lockin tuners, tone pros wrap around, and some decent mid range pups. perhaps wire my own coil tap, and strap locks.

oh man....seriously i might do that instead of dropping 1G on a premade guitar i dont get to customize. that or a carvin.
Quote by thehikingdude
Sweet mother of god, the Artist model with the all-rosewood neck. That is literally a guitar I never thought would exist but always wanted.

Shit. I just got all my purchases in order. Had a Tele lined up, a Thinline, an SG and then I thought I might get one of the 2012 SE Orianthi models to finish off my year.

Nope, nope. Gonna have to get me a purple PRS now.
Quote by MrFlibble
The Torero is a badly delievered joke, as far as I'm concerned.

That's funny (to me)...I keep asking our SE guy to watch out for a Torero for me. That's what I'm GAS'ing for. That, and a SE Korina One, but I already have two guitars with soap bars.
Last edited by jamesatprs at Feb 14, 2012,
Quote by jamesatprs
That's funny (to me)...I keep asking our SE guy to watch out for a Torero for me. That's what I'm GAS'ing for. That, and a SE Korina One, but I already have two guitars with soap bars.

I used to be just like you. But playing one is a bland experience.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I used to be just like you. But playing one is a bland experience.

Hey, if you've played them and didn't like them, that's unfortunate, but not every guitar speaks to everyone! I played the first two prototypes and a few that have come through since then. still want!
Quote by jamesatprs
Hey, if you've played them and didn't like them, that's unfortunate, but not every guitar speaks to everyone! I played the first two prototypes and a few that have come through since then. still want!

I've really, really wanted to like them. But i've played 3 Torero's just in case the one i played was a dud. I still stand by my claim.

Your sig isn't helping your unbiased opinion.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 14, 2012,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I've played 3 Torero's just in case the one i played was a dud. I still stand by my claim.

Your sig isn't helping your unbiased opinion.

?

I'm not refuting your opinion. A lot of people don't like Telecasters. I do.
Quote by Dr Sixstring
Are the 2011 pickups the same as the 2012 pickups just with coil tapping?

Nope. Semi-carved top, smaller heel, blade switch, birds inlays, maple neck.

And it's called coil splitting, coil tap is something about singlecoils.
Quote by n1ckn1ce

And it's called coil splitting, coil tap is something about singlecoils.

Wasn't there a link to an article on that recently?

But all companies call it coil tapping so I'm pretty confused.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC

But all companies call it coil tapping so I'm pretty confused.
Only dumb companies (or companies that know most of their customers are dumb) call it 'coil tapping'.

A coil 'split' means taking a two-coil pickup and removing one coil from the circuit (usually by sending its signal to ground). This leaves you with just one coil working; the pickup is now a single coil pickup.

A coil 'tap' is where a single coil pickup is made with a portion of its wire separated from the rest, so using a switch you can add the extra windings in for a full, powerful tone or you can flip the switch, take those extra windings out and get a thinner, lower-output tone.

Of course there are exceptions, such as humbuckers with an actual coil tap feature (incredibly rare; I've only ever seen it done once and that was a custom wind) or ''stacked'' single coils that are actually two coils that can be split, which acts just like a tap would. But the point is, tap and split are different and are not to be confused. They do two different things and work in a different way.

People started calling splits taps for the same reason why people call vibratos tremolos; people are, by and large, stupid. Many of the people running the big guitar brands in the early days weren't guitar players or even builders themselves and frequently got terms confused. These confused terms stuck with the public, because people trusted guys like Leo Fender even though he was the sort of nonce that put a thumb rest below the strings on a bass guitar.